unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy)

Hello :)

Today i was able to cast for the very first time in my life. its reeeeeeeally exciting ( im talking like a kid although im 31 years old :D )

the results are in

i got 3 dents. one being above the eye and 2 on the neck but overall im really happy with that first pull. i might try a second one to also practice the slush casting more.

yeah well! after that i will get onto the details like grill, nose and eyes :) and im looking really forward to that

thanks for looking guys!

cheers :)

Looks great

-R-

many thanks! =)

i had my first sanding session this afternoon. although i didnt finish up all areas im happy to have smoothed out the bold head . the eyes are a bit warped . shall tackle that next to make it a bit more symmetrical. other than that im on my way :)

and here are to paintovers!

id really love to hear your guys' opinion on these

v1

v2
this one has tusks and rubber tubes reaching till the beck of each side. deas it look overloaded like that? i should try out these tubes on the real thing as well . pictures can lie as we all know :D it might look good in the conceptART but might look silly when looked at from different angles

thanks for viewing guys!

cheers

many thanks! =)

i had my first sanding session this afternoon. although i didnt finish up all areas im happy to have smoothed out the bold head . the eyes are a bit warped . shall tackle that next to make it a bit more symmetrical. other than that im on my way :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/hidecki/c3_zps53510f86.jpg

v1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/hidecki/c1_zpsd2129230.jpg

v2
this one has tusks and rubber tubes reaching till the beck of each side. deas it look overloaded like that? i should try out these tubes on the real thing as well . pictures can lie as we all know :D it might look good in the conceptART but might look silly when looked at from different angles
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/hidecki/c2_zps6ac0bae5.jpg

thanks for viewing guys!

cheers

Well, I think that the tusks and tubes give a nice homage to the original vader helmets. I know you don't really care about that, but it is still nice to pay homage :D

It's really coming out very nice and I'm looking forward to seeing how this continues to mature.

I'm enjoying this and very clean work considering this is your first attempt! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

What I do like is the fact that this is a hand sculpt just as the original would have been and you get that clay like surface texture you have on the original casts....

many thanks! =)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/hidecki/c3_zps53510f86.jpg

v1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/hidecki/c1_zpsd2129230.jpg

v2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/hidecki/c2_zps6ac0bae5.jpg

thanks for viewing guys!

cheers

IMHO second option looks better by far!:thumbsup

Regards,
Alberto

Well, I think that the tusks and tubes give a nice homage to the original vader helmets. I know you don't really care about that, but it is still nice to pay homage :D

It's really coming out very nice and I'm looking forward to seeing how this continues to mature.

but of course i care! :) i will go for the tusks and tubes. i already got some cool ideas for little details to spice it up. thanks for commenting dday

I'm enjoying this and very clean work considering this is your first attempt! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

What I do like is the fact that this is a hand sculpt just as the original would have been and you get that clay like surface texture you have on the original casts....
Thanks sskunky. im happy you do like the build so far. i really try to keep it clean since i go through the trouble of molding it . it was a huge amount of money i paid to gather alll the materials, tools ,cups, brushes. thatwhy i y to not slack off and do my homework. push myself to keep sanding the surface till its smooth and nice.
and thats also the sad news here. the clay surface is gone by now.

here you can see the last spot of clay surface. as i was working with chavant soft clay for the first time i didnt figure out how to smooth the clay surface properly....so i decided to sand t all off :/ sorry mate i hope you can enjoy my build nonthless. thanks for droipng by! :)

Very menacing!
ah great to hear that! :D thanks

IMHO second option looks better by far!:thumbsup

Regards,
Alberto
GREAT! another vote! =) thanks mate. i shall try to go for it then
Love the progress so far! Keep it up! :thumbsup
Many thanks BobaFett980 :) thats encouraging to hear!

awesome progress, love the tusks on the V2!!!
Thanks joez2391
your vote counts! :) i will build in the tusks and tubes

and here are my updates
i was able to tackle the grill and make much progress so im really eager to post my shots :)

and a silly vader selfie :D

thanks for a the feedback guys. highly appreciated

WOW....keep the pics coming!

I love the design elements incorporated in the different concept DV helmet incarnations. Too bad I had to sell my JRX and my DS due to the lack of display space :(
Yours is going to be awesome, that´s for sure!

Markus

Freakin awesome man, keep up the great work
spoudastis! big thanks!!! ill try my best :)

WOW....keep the pics coming!

I love the design elements incorporated in the different concept DV helmet incarnations. Too bad I had to sell my JRX and my DS due to the lack of display space :(
Yours is going to be awesome, that´s for sure!

Markus
Hi Markus. Its great to hear that. thanks for the feedback :)
...WOW you owned both AND actually had to sell them. thats really too bad. does that mean you won't have any display space left for this unique piece of art? ;D
just joking :)
but if all goes well i will go for a limited run. hopefully! :D

You should think about including a nose detail like it´s found on the McQ Vaders.
Hey DaddyfromNaboo! :) thats a good idea and ive given it some thought already. i got inspired be this concept art initially ---->
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071109220354/starwars/images/6/6c/ConceptDarth.JPG

my face area is very slim and i dont want it to be very crowded in terms of detail but maybe an angled surface might do the trick!

and here are the other shots!

i worked the neck and forehead. wet sanding session #109 :p i wasnt able to fully fill the biggest dent. so ill have another go tomorrow

i was able to get the inner eye edges done and those 2 "tears" :)

in close up you can see scratches and air bubbles i dug out. i guess this will be fixed with a filler primer? havent used one so far. what brand should i get? preferably to put on acrylic paint on top (im used to tamiya products )

and another selfie! :D

thanks for visiting and feedback guys!

cheers
Adam

Love the tears!:thumbsup

I definiteli recommend using Oakley flame type lenses, should give a creepyer look to the facemask?

What about the dome? Have You thought about any style to go with?

Regards,

Alberto

Hey DaddyfromNaboo! :) thats a good idea and ive given it some thought already. i got inspired be this concept art initially ---->
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071109220354/starwars/images/6/6c/ConceptDarth.JPG

Hi Adam, awesome new pics! Can´t wait to see it with the helmet on!

Regarding the mouth area and nose detail, what about having the "teeth" a bit raised and extend into the closed area above the vents? You´ve got the tears as raised details, IMO the teeth may counterbalance or mirror that detail nicely and probably make the helmet even more menancing. Just for your consideration ;)

Love the tears!:thumbsup

I definiteli recommend using Oakley flame type lenses, should give a creepyer look to the facemask?

What about the dome? Have You thought about any style to go with?

Regards,

Alberto

awesome! this brings tears of joy to my very own eyes :D
i checked out the oakley flame type lenses. the color is really cool to look at! i actually plan to shape my own from acrylic glas.

i ordered small sizes of BROWN ,UMBRA ,DARK GREY ,DARK RED
will try out all of em to see which ones will fit best :)
i shall get them by the end of this week

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Adam, awesome new pics! Can´t wait to see it with the helmet on!

Regarding the mouth area and nose detail, what about having the "teeth" a bit raised and extend into the closed area above the vents? You´ve got the tears as raised details, IMO the teeth may counterbalance or mirror that detail nicely and probably make the helmet even more menancing. Just for your consideration ;)

yay! thanks for the feedback and input DaddyfromNaboo. yeah thats right. it owuld be great if the raised details would show up again. i shall do some more sketching to try out some version again :)

one thing i discovered so far is that i cant raise the teeth and lenghten them till the nose . i end up having a silly looking grill. BUT some subtle raised edges might look really nice. so yeah some more designing to go through :)

the helmet will be next! once i did cut the neck line for final . im really excited to see the dome complete the look. wish me luck :D

PS: im really grateful for the feedback given. makes me get back to spots i would have left behind otherwise . pushes me nicely :) so yeah thanks for the contineous input

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back