unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy)

Like it?

I LOVE it! Really well done :thumbsup
You made my day good sir ^^
I really love your steampunk raygun and the custom pkd snub!! Awesome craftmanship :)

This is super cool. Excellent work. Keep it up!
Thanks man. Highly appreciated

Here is some more progress.
The dome turned out to be very glorious :B In terms of sIze

What you think guys?

Attachments

• 2015-04-24 02.15.03.jpg
    2015-04-24 02.15.03.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 2015-04-24 02.14.36.jpg
    2015-04-24 02.14.36.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 66
  • 2015-04-24 02.16.18.jpg
    2015-04-24 02.16.18.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 92
  • 2015-04-24 02.18.48.jpg
    2015-04-24 02.18.48.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 2015-04-24 02.10.38.jpg
    2015-04-24 02.10.38.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 2015-04-24 02.12.52.jpg
    2015-04-24 02.12.52.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 2015-04-24 02.13.49.jpg
    2015-04-24 02.13.49.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 87
Wow! Love the stylized sweep of it. Glad you nixed the forward hook on the leading edges - made me think of the Balrog from LOTR for some reason :confused

Wow! Love the stylized sweep of it. Glad you nixed the forward hook on the leading edges - made me think of the Balrog from LOTR for some reason :confused

yeah you are right... very hornlike these chapes were. much balrog it looked! =D

but i might add a little spikey corner on the dome edges there again. lets see

with a dome like that i kinda induced some more raplh mcquarrie here :)
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/hidecki/media/early_vader_zpsjdpywbhi.png.html][/URL]
thats why i decided to reference this concept more by also adding some cool techy elements to the dome.

ALSO!
i went on a treasure hunt trip to a home depot. i searched for small intricate cheap littel parts and found THESE! :D

which means: the tubes are back in the game! nah ...let me rephrase that: i totally fell in love :love
i tried several tubes(cables) with different thickness and found a nice match.

i was so excited that i took many shots . i hope you like what you are seeing , too

(oh the dome doesnt have any middle stribe STILL... wont know if ill be able to sculpt it nice and even in clay. maybe ill just add it after casting the prototype)

id love to hear your feedback guys =)
critique and suggestions are welcome as usual

cheers!

Wow, LOVE the tubes, so glad you went ahead with them. This build keeps blowing my mind, you have an awesome eye for design and detail. The only suggestion I have is too play around with the arrow on the front of the dome to see what that looks like, but I see you have marked it off already and I guess you are thinking on the same lines. Maybe something seems too be missing from the "nose", but I cant put my finger on what. Possibly just some silver paint...
Keep up the good work.

That is coming along nicely. If it were me making it I would make the helmet dome a bit larger, more rounded to alleviate the triangle look. I do really love the face though. Very cool.

Andy

you guys are awesome! just got home and read the comments with such joy! thats so encouraging! :) thanks a lot . ill try my best to work in all the feedback i got. and i'll take my time to reply to each of you guys. for now i just want to thank you :) thanks for the interest and encouragement

Wow, LOVE the tubes, so glad you went ahead with them. This build keeps blowing my mind, you have an awesome eye for design and detail. The only suggestion I have is too play around with the arrow on the front of the dome to see what that looks like, but I see you have marked it off already and I guess you are thinking on the same lines. Maybe something seems too be missing from the "nose", but I cant put my finger on what. Possibly just some silver paint...
Keep up the good work.
yay im so happy you like it! yeah the arrow will follow. i already started sculpting it in :) some more fiddeling around till im happy and i can make some shots of it
as for the nose. yeah the silver paint might give it the last touch. although maaaaybe it might look cool without the silver . i just checked all the other cool mcquarrie darth vaders. a silver nose tip is not a must as it seems. but all of that might really just be a final decision .

this vader is not supposed to be a one off as i see it. so i might have more than one painting option :)

That is coming along nicely. If it were me making it I would make the helmet dome a bit larger, more rounded to alleviate the triangle look. I do really love the face though. Very cool.

Andy
big thanks andy :) appreciated
im no 1,80m guy and that influenced my decision heavily i guess :)
with this helmet i wanted to aim for a very tight fit. it started with the mask and i tried to carry on with that when adding the dome. if i ever will be able to build the chest and shoulder pads id like to end up with with a menacing agile look. i hope that makes sense :)
again big thanks for your input !

The tubes are PERFECT! Looks fantastic. I would do the dome stripe in styrene after you pull one.
roger that spoudastis :) will do that this way
many thanks for the kind words!

thanks mate! appreciated

Hi, I`m new in this, wich is the material that you use for sculpt it??
im using CHAVANT CLAY SOFT

i cracked /split off the nuts on the tube-tasks . they became a bit shorter and also more scifi-ish. happy happy

cheers
Adam

oooooooohhhhKAY!
the dome is done for now
the arrow feels raised much but i just wanted to have some more thickness to properly shape it while sanding :)

i bought some home depot chaulk silicone for a waste mold. but since its my very first attempt i shall test it on a sculpted test piece i guess. wish me luck :D

cheers
Adam

Hi Adam, awesome new pics! Can´t wait to see it with the helmet on!

Regarding the mouth area and nose detail, what about having the "teeth" a bit raised and extend into the closed area above the vents? You´ve got the tears as raised details, IMO the teeth may counterbalance or mirror that detail nicely and probably make the helmet even more menancing. Just for your consideration ;)

im revisiting the design and had your input always in mind :) here is a quick sketch of it. what you think?

Andy
this bigger helmet dome suggestion didnt let go either :D i might really add some more "meat" to the top

no progress shots this time tho... right now im waiting for the chaullk silicone test piece to cure
i used that simple : silicone in soapy water and then on the sculpt- technique (of course i used mold release before applying it)

im revisiting the design and had your input always in mind :) here is a quick sketch of it. what you think?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/hidecki/grill_zpsnnrzqhm9.jpg

this bigger helmet dome suggestion didnt let go either :D i might really add some more "meat" to the top

no progress shots this time tho... right now im waiting for the chaullk silicone test piece to cure
i used that simple : silicone in soapy water and then on the sculpt- technique (of course i used mold release before applying it)

Looking really spectacular with every new update.

Adding the ridges in the nose makes a huge difference.

The BNC cable tips really do look super futuristic and fit in with your design really well.

I think giving the top of the dome more texture in the form the the arrow ridge is going to help. Right now the top of the dome feels to be missing something when it only has the arrow tip, can't wait to see that part put in.

What I would suggest is that you leave the tusks out in the final mold, maybe even the tubes themselves. Have them as an add on part. I think the tubes should be ok to cast but the tusks will look better being a real aluminium part vs a resin painted part.

I've always been a fan of putting in as many found parts into the designs vs built in details. It gives the product a much different look and feel when it looks like it was built out of parts vs made from a single part.

totally cool. As a fan in my youth of the EU novels, this reminds me of a Sith relic, maybe something found in the Temples of Yavin IV....

Nice!
The added detail on the mouth was what was missing.
Looks like you are coming up on the finish line.
Good luck with the casting.
Big thanks ChameleonOne :)
Im happy you like that new detail. Id really like to reach the finish line"soon" :D i really can't wait to spray some paint on it to finally see it in gloss black :p the itch is strong with this one.
i did cast the dome on the weekend...and i used some expanding foam for the mothershell...... sadly this brand's foam was never meant to cure to a fully solid state. It was more a flexible ****ty blobb. Imagine half baked marshmallow cream :D
so the casting phase was nerve wrecking

Looking really spectacular with every new update.

Adding the ridges in the nose makes a huge difference.

The BNC cable tips really do look super futuristic and fit in with your design really well.

I think giving the top of the dome more texture in the form the the arrow ridge is going to help. Right now the top of the dome feels to be missing something when it only has the arrow tip, can't wait to see that part put in.

What I would suggest is that you leave the tusks out in the final mold, maybe even the tubes themselves. Have them as an add on part. I think the tubes should be ok to cast but the tusks will look better being a real aluminium part vs a resin painted part.

I've always been a fan of putting in as many found parts into the designs vs built in details. It gives the product a much different look and feel when it looks like it was built out of parts vs made from a single part.
many thanks dday :)
I sure was bloody lucky finding thise sat cable tips :)
But its exactly the way you put it. The more real wolrd pieces it carries the more intricate and real it can become.especially with metal ones:D i wouldnt be able to machine neat tusks or have the money to commission that :/

Thanks for the tips Here. I will leave out both cables and tusks before molding And will provide these as addon parts for a kit IF I ever be able to cast clean copies and of course if there is even enough interest to do a run °_°

Thanks for your input!
totally cool. As a fan in my youth of the EU novels, this reminds me of a Sith relic, maybe something found in the Temples of Yavin IV....
thanks man! A relic you say.i really like that idea. shall i name this darth perhaps?:)

Man, this is such a great build. Really digging it so far!
Mean Obiwan thanks!reallly appreciated!:)

I shall post some more pics soon. But in the meanwhile i wanted to shoot a quick question.

Do you guys have some experience with smooth on BLACK ONYX?
i wanted to try it out so i was wondering if this stuff is ok to use for the final cast :)
Big thanks in advance

Cheers
Adam

Last edited:
Do you guys have some experience with smooth on BLACK ONYX?
i wanted to try it out so i was wondering if this stuff is ok to use for the final cast :)
Big thanks in advance

Cheers
Adam

The Black Onyx resin is good, and sets pretty hard but not brittle. The cost of it in the US is good but the cost over here is pretty bad, especially with the value of the Euro.

I'm experimenting right now with another supplier of resin but it needs to be colored, which isn't too terrible and is still cheaper that the SO:BOR. The resin parts I have cast are coming out pretty strong so far.

The Black Onyx resin is good, and sets pretty hard but not brittle. The cost of it in the US is good but the cost over here is pretty bad, especially with the value of the Euro.

I'm experimenting right now with another supplier of resin but it needs to be colored, which isn't too terrible and is still cheaper that the SO:BOR. The resin parts I have cast are coming out pretty strong so far.

its good?! ok ill order 2 little Sets of it immediately ! hehe
thanks for the quick reply :) this way i can get my hands on that stuff before weekend comes

id also love to know which resin you found suitable for a lower price. i just know about the smooth-on products and am using them because ..well thats the only stuff that is marketed and descripted ready to use and fool-proof :D

strong is good! because i wont fiberglass. thats heavily advanced stuff imo :p

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back