Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Subscribe
    From
    Buffalo, NY USA
    Apr 30, 2015, 8:31 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #76

totally cool. As a fan in my youth of the EU novels, this reminds me of a Sith relic, maybe something found in the Temples of Yavin IV....
    From
    Longview, Texas, United States
    Apr 30, 2015, 11:14 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #77

Man, this is such a great build. Really digging it so far!
    From
    Stuttgart GERMANY
    May 5, 2015, 5:56 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #78

ChameleonOne said: View Post
    Nice!
    The added detail on the mouth was what was missing.
    Looks like you are coming up on the finish line.
    Good luck with the casting.
    Big thanks ChameleonOne
    Im happy you like that new detail. Id really like to reach the finish line"soon" i really can't wait to spray some paint on it to finally see it in gloss black :P the itch is strong with this one.
    i did cast the dome on the weekend...and i used some expanding foam for the mothershell...... sadly this brand's foam was never meant to cure to a fully solid state. It was more a flexible ****ty blobb. Imagine half baked marshmallow cream
    so the casting phase was nerve wrecking

dday said: View Post
    Looking really spectacular with every new update.

Adding the ridges in the nose makes a huge difference.

The BNC cable tips really do look super futuristic and fit in with your design really well.

I think giving the top of the dome more texture in the form the the arrow ridge is going to help. Right now the top of the dome feels to be missing something when it only has the arrow tip, can't wait to see that part put in.

What I would suggest is that you leave the tusks out in the final mold, maybe even the tubes themselves. Have them as an add on part. I think the tubes should be ok to cast but the tusks will look better being a real aluminium part vs a resin painted part.

I've always been a fan of putting in as many found parts into the designs vs built in details. It gives the product a much different look and feel when it looks like it was built out of parts vs made from a single part.
    many thanks dday
    I sure was bloody lucky finding thise sat cable tips
    But its exactly the way you put it. The more real wolrd pieces it carries the more intricate and real it can become.especially with metal ones i wouldnt be able to machine neat tusks or have the money to commission that :/

Thanks for the tips Here. I will leave out both cables and tusks before molding And will provide these as addon parts for a kit IF I ever be able to cast clean copies and of course if there is even enough interest to do a run _

Thanks for your input!
    chizbot said: View Post
    totally cool. As a fan in my youth of the EU novels, this reminds me of a Sith relic, maybe something found in the Temples of Yavin IV....
    thanks man! A relic you say.i really like that idea. shall i name this darth perhaps?

Mean Obiwan said: View Post
    Man, this is such a great build. Really digging it so far!
    Mean Obiwan thanks!reallly appreciated!

I shall post some more pics soon. But in the meanwhile i wanted to shoot a quick question.

Do you guys have some experience with smooth on BLACK ONYX?
    i wanted to try it out so i was wondering if this stuff is ok to use for the final cast
    Big thanks in advance

Cheers
    Adam
    Last edited by dasAdam; May 5, 2015 at 8:00 AM. Reason: typpooos
  4. Darth Vader SL80082 RPF Premium Member dday's Avatar
    From
    Germany
    May 5, 2015, 6:35 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #79

dasAdam said: View Post

Do you guys have some experience with smooth on BLACK ONYX?
    i wanted to try it out so i was wondering if this stuff is ok to use for the final cast
    Big thanks in advance

Cheers
    Adam
    The Black Onyx resin is good, and sets pretty hard but not brittle. The cost of it in the US is good but the cost over here is pretty bad, especially with the value of the Euro.

I'm experimenting right now with another supplier of resin but it needs to be colored, which isn't too terrible and is still cheaper that the SO:BOR. The resin parts I have cast are coming out pretty strong so far.
    From
    Stuttgart GERMANY
    May 5, 2015, 9:14 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #80

The Black Onyx resin is good, and sets pretty hard but not brittle. The cost of it in the US is good but the cost over here is pretty bad, especially with the value of the Euro.

I'm experimenting right now with another supplier of resin but it needs to be colored, which isn't too terrible and is still cheaper that the SO:BOR. The resin parts I have cast are coming out pretty strong so far.
    its good?! ok ill order 2 little Sets of it immediately ! hehe
    thanks for the quick reply this way i can get my hands on that stuff before weekend comes

id also love to know which resin you found suitable for a lower price. i just know about the smooth-on products and am using them because ..well thats the only stuff that is marketed and descripted ready to use and fool-proof

strong is good! because i wont fiberglass. thats heavily advanced stuff imo :P
    May 5, 2015, 10:39 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #81

Just a FYI .. I've always used ONYX for smaller and bigger props (HIC volvo panels or my latest GOTG Gravity Mine). Lately, I've been using the smooth cast 310 though, since it's running much much more liquid then ONYX so it flows better in some molds where I need the low viscosity.

In your case, using ONYX fast should be the way to go if you're slush casting .. but it gets hard really really fast and you'll need to do smaller batches to help pot life! Some of the great seller here back their ONYX with ceramic to make the cast stronger .. it's super light but from experience, I still find it quite fragile (dropped a piece and it broke in 2!
    From
    Stuttgart GERMANY
    May 7, 2015, 5:53 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #82

Bigturc said: View Post
    Just a FYI .. I've always used ONYX for smaller and bigger props (HIC volvo panels or my latest GOTG Gravity Mine). Lately, I've been using the smooth cast 310 though, since it's running much much more liquid then ONYX so it flows better in some molds where I need the low viscosity.

In your case, using ONYX fast should be the way to go if you're slush casting .. but it gets hard really really fast and you'll need to do smaller batches to help pot life! Some of the great seller here back their ONYX with ceramic to make the cast stronger .. it's super light but from experience, I still find it quite fragile (dropped a piece and it broke in 2!
    ah! i see. smooth cast 310: noted!
    since now ive been slush casting with smooth cast 65D so im a bit used to a short pot life of 2,5 minutes
    and the use of ceramic for more strength sounds like a very professional way to handle it:P ill try to find some videos of that. that made me very curious

well i guess my helmets wont be ok to be dropped either damn..that smooth cast 65D is somewhat flexible and even casted with that i wouldnt try to drop the DOME . i bet it would break as well. but would someone want to drop a vader dome and chip the poaint! with chipped paint the dome is a goner too ;D just joking
    many thanks for the insights and info! highly appreciated

and here is some progress
    so i casted the dome with my chaulk silicone mold sitting in that ****ty blob mothermold thingy which didnt work out . much bad luck involed . many things learned.
    but i gotta move on. i covered the "skirt" of the dome with 0,5mm plastic sheet. this way i might save 48 hours of sanding and filling, sanding ,fillling, dying

the top of the dome is dented in heavily too. but i plan to cast the very top piece again and just slip it on top like a cap. this will also make it a tad bigger overall

sooooo! not much interesting magical stuff to see at this point ^^

i keep putting it on every now and then cant wait

cheers!
    Adam
    From
    May 7, 2015, 11:11 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #83

I can't wait to see this finished. Gonna make a whole getup for it or just the helmet?
    From
    Stuttgart GERMANY
    May 17, 2015, 10:15 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #84

Mean Obiwan said: View Post
    I can't wait to see this finished. Gonna make a whole getup for it or just the helmet?
    thanks for the interest mate!

for now i will only finish the vader mask and dome. i thought about the chestplate and shoulder pads too but that maybe too much to handle . truly ...having a whole designed costumed would be awesome but for now im just happy enough to get these done

and here is some major update. ive been really pushing to make progress ( i stopped going out even :P . so im totally loosing touch friend wise, but as long as i got you guys the world is alright, right?! ;D )

pics! i reworked the whole top of the dome. making it bigger and rounder just like suggested

i imagined the detail to look techy and be made of metal just like the tusks. these are random copper pieces with bearings in the middle

on the opposite side the techy detail part differs to have some asymmetry too

the ridges i plan to blend into the dome in an angle and sand them down a bit.

i found a site who sells bearings only. well i kinda ordered a couple of different bearings without having a true representitive image of em... just the dimensions so lets see about that. maybe some will look even more cool than the ones i found in my greeble stash

Ps: i worked with expoy glue for the first time. i dont know if they are all the same....but my brand smelled like 10 bambi carcasses rising from the bottom of a hazardous chemicals barrel

Cheers
    Adam
    Last edited by dasAdam; May 17, 2015 at 10:21 PM.
    From
    Oakland, CA
    May 17, 2015, 11:33 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #85

This thing is so rediculously cool that I can't even put into words how much I love it. You are making great design decisions with the dome and super cool assymetric details. Love love love it. Great job man !
    From
    Australia
    Aug 29, 2015, 8:06 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #86

Love this helmet!!! Can't wait to see it finished!!!
    From
    Sweden
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 6, 2017, 4:58 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #87

@dasAdam did you ever finish this mask? Looks amazing.
    From
    Madison, WI
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 6, 2017, 5:02 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #88

Dont know how this is the first time Ive seen this, but this is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Would reeeeeally love a kit of this!
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 6, 2017, 6:10 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #89

As a big fan of Vader, and a huge fan of McQuarrie, and an even bigger fan of creativity, this thing just really tickled my fancy. Simply gorgeous build, I hope there is even a minor update to this.
  15. Member Since
    Dec 2016
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 7, 2017, 3:36 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #90

This build is incredible. It's like a mix of Vader and Shredder. SW and TMNT nostalgia overload. Seriously can't wait to see this finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Stuttgart GERMANY
    1 Week Ago  Jan 9, 2017, 11:47 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #91

Wow guys... im speechless....

Thanks for your awesome comments
    I really mean it.

The reason i stopped updating is my slow progress on the helmet.

If you guys dont mind I can post every little progress I got. Letting people down with my slow pace is my biggest fear :/

Here is a little something I built. Can you guess what it is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170110_054158.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	697104
    From
    Sweden
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 2:56 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #92

Wow guys... im speechless....

Thanks for your awesome comments
    I really mean it.

The reason i stopped updating is my slow progress on the helmet.

If you guys dont mind I can post every little progress I got. Letting people down with my slow pace is my biggest fear :/

Here is a little something I built. Can you guess what it is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170110_054158.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	697104
    It's that thing from that movie........
    I don't mind just getting small updates
    From
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 3:02 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #93

I don't mind getting small updates either. Custom build threads are always my favorite to see among the endless Graflex and Solo blaster threads, (I like those too though, don't shoot first!).
    I was always checking up on this build.
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 3:08 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #94

That looks amazing! Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see what it looks like painted haha
    From
    Stuttgart GERMANY
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 3:10 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #95

Contec said: View Post
    @dasAdam did you ever finish this mask? Looks amazing.
    hi Contec. no i havent..... i really struggle with it as i dont know how to tackle the connection of the dome and the mask and also if this will become a one-off only
    but at this point in time i should just get it done first and then make further decisions i guess. many thanks for your comment mate. it shall push me to make more progress

Kylash said: View Post
    Dont know how this is the first time Ive seen this, but this is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Would reeeeeally love a kit of this!
    Thanks for the visit and the comment highly appreciated. to tell you the truth... i would love to offer you a kit of this vader , but i actually dont know if i got the experience to pull it off. heaving the possibility to make it a kit is the reason i didnt make so much progress on this projection. every time i wanna add some details i get stuck with a waterfall of thoughts how to tackle it the most efficient way: do it seperate as a little part to mold it?! make it a metall part?! how to mount it later on?! how would the strap for the head be fixed?! do i need to learn how to fiberglas it in order to offer a quality product that wont fall apart?! ...oh gosh. it seems to be a vicious circle .. and i kinda feel trapped

nontheless i shall pick it up again and just see what i will end up with i guess.

Lisaisanut said: View Post
    As a big fan of Vader, and a huge fan of McQuarrie, and an even bigger fan of creativity, this thing just really tickled my fancy. Simply gorgeous build, I hope there is even a minor update to this.
    Hi Lisa! there is a minor update! sadly not a big one ...i did a couple of shots to show today maaany thanks for your comment! very motivating. i love the simplistic shapes McQuarrie used to design the characters. They seem to be a bit more timeless (designwise) than the screen props in my humble honest opinion. i hope you like the lil update

mikeyface84 said: View Post
    This build is incredible. It's like a mix of Vader and Shredder. SW and TMNT nostalgia overload. Seriously can't wait to see this finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks Mikey! ah shredder! i know what u mean. for me it reminds me of the mortal kombat masks as well as this vader mask sits very tight and is not as huge as the original vader helmet. thank you for commenting. it made my day

here are a couple shots of my redesign of the copper dynodes .not sure how many i want to put on the mask yet, but they will certainly sit in little pockets and not just attached onto the surface. they were attached like that for a test fitting only

HDMI male connector
    copper rod
    2x micro usb female connectors
    and a metal mesh on top , filled with black acrylic paint

please enjoy
    Cheers
    Adam
    Last edited by dasAdam; 1 Week Ago at 3:15 PM.
  21. Darth Vader SL80082 RPF Premium Member dday's Avatar
    From
    Germany
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 7:53 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #96

@dasAdam;Mounting really is one of the hardest things for most people. Many have come before and tried and figured out a way. I would do some research into the normal vader mounting methods, the ring and cup method really seems to be a great way to do this. You just have to play with the positioning once you have the dome done to get it just right.

I've got molding experience and am here in Germany we could work something out if you wanted to offer castings of the work at your finishing point. My suggestion would be that your add-on parts are always added later, even if it's more work. You're likely not looking to make large runs of this, probably just a small run of 5 or 10 castings to help recover funds and spread it around some.

I say add the parts later on because it will always look better if they are real parts. The dinodes would a be a pain to paint if they were cast in the helmet. There is a potential to cast them in resin as their own parts, and the same can go for the tubes, but real parts will always look better. Especially in a limited custom item such as this. It gives it much more value emotionally for buyers/backers..
  22. Member Since
    Apr 2004
    From
    OKC, OK
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 4:04 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #97

Man, your vader design is absolutely awesome! The lines and swept back motion look so freakin amazing. The attention to detail is so great and I can't wait to see this painted and cosplayed,
    From
    Madison, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 4:14 PM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #98

Given how amazing this is, I'm sure you could easily find a member to help you get it molded.
    From
    Stuttgart GERMANY
    2 Days Ago  Jan 19, 2017, 9:49 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #99

@dasAdam;Mounting really is one of the hardest things for most people. Many have come before and tried and figured out a way. I would do some research into the normal vader mounting methods, the ring and cup method really seems to be a great way to do this. You just have to play with the positioning once you have the dome done to get it just right.

I've got molding experience and am here in Germany we could work something out if you wanted to offer castings of the work at your finishing point. My suggestion would be that your add-on parts are always added later, even if it's more work. You're likely not looking to make large runs of this, probably just a small run of 5 or 10 castings to help recover funds and spread it around some.

I say add the parts later on because it will always look better if they are real parts. The dinodes would a be a pain to paint if they were cast in the helmet. There is a potential to cast them in resin as their own parts, and the same can go for the tubes, but real parts will always look better. Especially in a limited custom item such as this. It gives it much more value emotionally for buyers/backers..
    Hi dday
    thanks for the great input!
    the ring and cup method will surely be the way to go. the space in between my dome and mask is very narrow tho. maybe magnets would be a great help to keep things attached they might even add some techy detail too. i bought some cube and circle magnets to test it already.
    many thanks to you mate for offering your help. a limited run would be such an awesome goal for myself. i wouldnt mind building the detail tech parts instead of casting em. its as they say, right? : "if you want it to look like metal, use metal"
    i pumped so much time and money into this project already that i lost count to be honest... :P at this point id just be thrilled to finish it up and offer it as a kit
    ...but i decided to first see if i can get it done and make all parts fit and function. only after that i can think of offering it to others if the day comes im happy to chat and except your help wisdom you dont happen to live in the stuttgart area accidently?

cheers mate
    bwize said: View Post
    Man, your vader design is absolutely awesome! The lines and swept back motion look so freakin amazing. The attention to detail is so great and I can't wait to see this painted and cosplayed,
    ..man that would be a blast! ..sadly reality showed me that this will take a while :P many thanks bwize

Kylash said: View Post
    Given how amazing this is, I'm sure you could easily find a member to help you get it molded.
    yay such flattery many thanks man
    dday already offered his help, which is amazing so say the least.

PROGRESS!
    the tusks are finished!

here you can see the journey. many images, many angles
    i tried to incorporate a ballpoint pen tip but wasnt very convinced it would be the right style /look

it looks cool! but the spike was a tad too slim and didnt strike me as that star wars-ish by the end of the day

but it encouraged me to try out many other parts

i really liked the additional metal pieces reaching out instead of the cables leading out directly.
    i filed the nut of the "threaded water outlet water nipple"
    it revealed a nice desaturated copper tone which i really liked i also quickly added some TAMIYA GUN METAL

here is the result

basically its built out of these parts here

and here a couple of different shots

i hope you enjoy and i wish you guys a productive upcoming weekend
  25. Darth Vader SL80082 RPF Premium Member dday's Avatar
    From
    Germany
    2 Days Ago  Jan 19, 2017, 10:30 AM - Re: unique DARTH VADER helmet (WIP/scratchbuilt/pic heavy) #100

Hi dday
    thanks for the great input!
    the ring and cup method will surely be the way to go. the space in between my dome and mask is very narrow tho. maybe magnets would be a great help to keep things attached they might even add some techy detail too. i bought some cube and circle magnets to test it already.
    many thanks to you mate for offering your help. a limited run would be such an awesome goal for myself. i wouldnt mind building the detail tech parts instead of casting em. its as they say, right? : "if you want it to look like metal, use metal"
    i pumped so much time and money into this project already that i lost count to be honest... :P at this point id just be thrilled to finish it up and offer it as a kit
    ...but i decided to first see if i can get it done and make all parts fit and function. only after that i can think of offering it to others if the day comes im happy to chat and except your help wisdom you dont happen to live in the stuttgart area accidently?

cheers mate
    Magnets with a cup for sure would be good. I'd think 3 recessed into the helmet should do it, in a triangle shape to make sure you get the right location each time. Or maybe a X shape that the top and bottom will interlock for position and very strong magnets to hold them together.

I'm absolutely positive you'll get it judging by the progress you've made so far and the innovation shown.

Integrating it into the mechanical look would absolutely be in line and very cool for this, even if it's not visible.

I don't live in the stuttgart area all the time, but during the week I'm in the St Leon Rot area, 69231. So pretty close.