Pepakura iron man mk4

CTK creations

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First off I would like to say that I am very new to this site and that this is my first post. Alright, so I have decided to take upon the challenge of creating my first pepakura iron man suit and, despite what research I've done, I still have a few questions such as; what is the best thing to wear under the suit? What type of gloves work best for the repulsors? And also, I'm using card stock for the pepakura base and was wondering what the best glue to use would be, I've seen others use hot glue but was wondering if there were any alternatives. Thank you

I use super glue. Make sure you score all of your fold lines with a ball point pen and a straight edge. I cut everything out with an exacto knife freehand without a straight edge. Welcome to the club!

Thanks, I started cutting a few days ago but noticed that in the pepakura file for my helmet there were some extra pieces that were to the left of the pages to be printed, and behind the 3d image of the helmet. Do I need those or are they just extra peices?

Hi Warmachine... Great to see another IM MK4 builder here. Obiwan is right, if you either provide a link or perhaps who's files you're using, we could probably point you in the right direction. The other way of checking would be to select the piece on the 2D page layout, it should then highlight the part in red on your 3D layout... This might give you an idea if you need the part or not. Hope this helps...

Looking forward to seeing your progress posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I started cutting a few days ago but noticed that in the pepakura file for my helmet there were some extra pieces that were to the left of the pages to be printed, and behind the 3d image of the helmet. Do I need those or are they just extra peices?

That sounds like you've got a foam template. When working with foam, a lot of the pieces are not needed as you're working with a thicker material. If you have the time to do cardstock, then get a pep that has been unfolded for that material.

That is what I was thinking Shaun. I just drag and drop the missing pieces onto the work space and rearrange as needed when ever I get a file set up for foam. If the file is set up for foam wouldn't the tabs be hidden as well?

Just realized that the link to the PDOs is no longer working. ill try to attach a picture showing what im talking about

Last edited:
Hey war machine, I'm in the same boat as you. Did my first pep helm last week, I believe it's the mk 7. It went well for a first attempt I think. My problems arose when I was doing the resin. I hadn't braced the structure well enough and it all fell out of alignment. Lots of filler and attempts at resculpting later and I have decided it's now going to be "battle damaged"... I'm now half way through my second helm, mk 42 and am using bamboo skewers to help keep the thing in shape. I've been using superglue and it's been bang on for me. Hope the build goes well dude, hope to exchange progress and encouragement in future

Thanks all of you do the tips. I'm curious, how long does it usually take you guys to finish making a helmet? And how often a week do you work on it? I want to be able to keep a good pace so I can have it (a whole suit) done by Halloween or Age of Ultron. Thanks again

I may be slow as it's my first two but I got from print to failed fibreglass in less than a week. I was off work and I'm a habitual procrastinator so this could be way off the mark for others. My second helm I reckon has took me about 2 days from print to 90% prepped..

Wow, I have to say compared to my pace that's very impressive. I started cutting about a week ago and am just finishing up my last few pages today. Also along with being new at this, I'm also young (I'm only 15) and have no idea how long it will take me to fold (hopefully less than it took me to cut haha) but I know that I'd have to devote a lot more time to get it done in that amount of time.

Admittedly it has turned me into a bit of a recluse but it's doable. I find it rather monotonous, scoring and cutting so I'm I'm going to try foam for my next build. Hopefully that should be a lot quicker.I keep lookin on here and seeing builds at the same stage as me me but they look a lot better. I'm putting that down to self doubt though. Have you tried foam yet at all?

I considered it but decided to go with this because i like the more tuff and rigid texture that the peices will end up with. However it seems like a foam build might be better for my first suit. However I don't know where to get the foam that I'd use for the suit

Me neither, though I did stumble upon some board on. An art website.. give it a Google, foamex i think i searched.on no expert bit i der no reason why you couldnt resin and bondo the foam. please anyone else correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only a beginner myself..

Hi, welcome to the club.
It seems you go for paper build.
There are pep files for foam and paper, they are different the way it was unfolded (cut into pieces).
Paper normally have tabs, foam normally have less parts and cleaner edge and definitely no tabs.

In some paper file, it included several paper structure to hold the shape until you resin it.
However, it became less and less model that including that.
You can make it yourself or use any means of sturdy studs (bamboo chopstick, straw, ice cream stick, folded cardstock).

Perhaps it is better for you not to start with the helmet. Do something simpler like chest or bicep.

Pictures of what you have done/build will help others to assist you better.

I included link for helpful tips that you can read.

Happy building.

Thanks a lot, I decided to take your advice an am taking a break from the helmet. I decided to try working on the hands first, and then move to the chest. I printed out the fingers about an hour ago and have since cut out 3 fingers and folded one. Im gonna be honest, I don't know how to add photos, short from taking them on my phone and uploading it to my computer so I can then post it.
Also I've noticed that I still need to find a few more pep files to get the whole suit so if any of you have good links to suit pdo's I'd appreciate it. As always thanks again

Hey guys, so after hours of frustration with the cutting, folding, etc.. I have decided that I'm gonna switch gears and attempt a foam build. I'm planning on using 10mm EVA foam from Home Depot and wanted to make sure I'm using the right foam. I don't know if any of you guys have done foam builds or not so hopefully you can help me.
Thanks

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back