My Battlestar Galactica S02 Gun - need help & tips

what tools do you have at hand? mainly a drill? what material Is the launcher made of ? what material is the rail made of?

I did not even think about magnet's. thanks mattermaker. that could be an option to were you don't have to see screw's or such. I would guess It would come down to how well you want It to stay on. with also still being able to take It off when you wanted.

I did not even think about magnet's. thanks mattermaker. that could be an option to were you don't have to see screw's or such. I would guess It would come down to how well you want It to stay on. with also still being able to take It off when you wanted.

Yeah, i would like to be able to take it off when i want.

Yeah, i would like to be able to take it off when i want.

Rare Earth magnets are great, you can get them very small, say 7mm in diameter for example.
The good thing with your gun is that the grenade launcher is on a movable slide. So if you could drill a hole for one magnet in the rail and a corresponding hole in the launcher, the two magnets would be able to catch as you slide the launcher in place. Then to release, the slide action of the rail would shear the magnets apart instead of having to try to pull directly against their force. Those magnets are very strong so the easiest way to pull them apart is with a shearing force. You'd just have to make sure your mounting holes are perfect size for the magnets to hold them tight and you might want to use epoxy to glue them in place. You will also have to be sure to get the heads of both magnets to touch or almost touch for it to work. If there is any gap between the magnets they might not grab each other.

mattermaker.

Rare Earth magnets are great, you can get them very small, say 7mm in diameter for example.
The good thing with your gun is that the grenade launcher is on a movable slide. So if you could drill a hole for one magnet in the rail and a corresponding hole in the launcher, the two magnets would be able to catch as you slide the launcher in place. Then to release, the slide action of the rail would shear the magnets apart instead of having to try to pull directly against their force. Those magnets are very strong so the easiest way to pull them apart is with a shearing force. You'd just have to make sure your mounting holes are perfect size for the magnets to hold them tight and you might want to use epoxy to glue them in place. You will also have to be sure to get the heads of both magnets to touch or almost touch for it to work. If there is any gap between the magnets they might not grab each other.

mattermaker.

this seems good suggestion, now i'm waiting forn sean suggestion then i'll decide ;)

I think the magnets are a good way to go. the other alternative's that I can think of would be. two small pin's going through the launcher and rail. kinda like trigger pins for a gun. but these would be visible from both sides of the launcher. and when you wanted to remove them. you would have to tap them out with another small pin or such. or you could have two headless screws which would require more work and a thread tap. If your not going to be running around and aggressive roll play or such. I would go with Mattermaker's Idea..

Alright. I looked at the video again and It looks as If your launcher is on a rail. you could use just two magnets at the very back of the rail.one Inserted at the bottom back part of the rail. and the other on the bottom back part of the launcher. just as long as your magnets were not wider than the rail.

Re: My Battlestar Galactica S02 Gun - need help & tips

Alright. I looked at the video again and It looks as If your launcher is on a rail. you could use just two magnets at the very back of the rail.one Inserted at the bottom back part of the rail. and the other on the bottom back part of the launcher. just as long as your magnets were not wider than the rail.

Exactly what I was thinking. You would need to carefully drill a hole in the gun and one in the launcher that fit two small diameter magnets. Glue one into each, do a test fit before gluing. Make sure you mark the holes and check alignment before you begin drilling. If you're careful you should be able to get everything aligned well and only have two small spots which won't ruin the look as they're hidden between the two parts and on the inside of the rails.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah ok! But i've to sand the grenade launcher becuase there isn't space for two magnets

So the magnets are inset into the body of the gun and the body of the launcher. You don't want to glue them onto the surfaces. You need to drill holes to set them into.

cheers!
mattermaker.

If you would take some still picture's of your rail and slide. we could use those to explain a little better.

Quick question. Is that blaster itself a static resin prop? Or have you managed to find an airsoft version of that gun?? Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello again, the gun is not a resin prop is a plastic electric gun model JLS 2031b
There are the pictures of rail and grenade launcher ;)

uploadfromtaptalk1403272452569.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403272483898.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403272524900.jpg

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

You can get these neodymium magnets in cylinder, cube or rectangular shapes in sizes from 2mm upwards to dangerously big. 5mm x 5mm cylinder or cube magnets are surprisingly strong. Measure well and drill holes as snug as you can and epoxy the magnets in place. Try not to let the magnets snap together when handling them as they are quite brittle and chip easiiy. Remember unlike poles attract and like poles repel. In attraction mode they can be used as catches and in repel mode they make good replacements for springs.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back