Wonder Woman

The one thing this film needs to do (for me) is to have great fighting. Period. And there's a lot of potential in WW for that.
It's a joy to watch a badass character who actually loves to fight. I'm really sick of tormented heroes reluctantly committing violence for the greater good.

As a movie character she's effectively Thor and Captain America rolled into one, but I don't care about that. I want WW to kick butt - I want her to wield that sword and run out of bubble gum. That shot with the knee slide / sword strike is gorgeous because she does it with such authority.

Don't give us the "Please-I-don't-want-to-fight-you-puny-humans-but-I-have-no-choice-because-all-you-understand-is-violence" Wonder Woman.
I want the "You-wanna-dance?-Let's-dance" Wonder Woman.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

Did you ever see the WW animated movie? It's actually probably one of the best depictions of her that I've seen... may favorite part is when she instructs a little girl on how to sword fight :)

Did you ever see the WW animated movie? It's actually probably one of the best depictions of her that I've seen... may favorite part is when she instructs a little girl on how to sword fight :)
I haven't but now I'll have to check it out. Thx.

The one thing this film needs to do (for me) is to have great fighting. Period. And there's a lot of potential in WW for that.
It's a joy to watch a badass character who actually loves to fight. I'm really sick of tormented heroes reluctantly committing violence for the greater good.

As a movie character she's effectively Thor and Captain America rolled into one, but I don't care about that. I want WW to kick butt - I want her to wield that sword and run out of bubble gum. That shot with the knee slide / sword strike is gorgeous because she does it with such authority.

Don't give us the "Please-I-don't-want-to-fight-you-puny-humans-but-I-have-no-choice-because-all-you-understand-is-violence" Wonder Woman.
I want the "You-wanna-dance?-Let's-dance" Wonder Woman.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

I think its best to go in without preconceived notions of what you want in the movie other than the fact it is a story about Wonder Woman.

I'm not certain we'll see a person that absolutely loves to fight (could be wrong) but we will see someone that is more than capable and willing to fight for those who can't, probably with some cheekiness thrown in where its tonally appropriate.

Possible spoilers from trailers...

From the trailers already we've seen some great brutal moves with the shield, someone gets kneed through a wall, and she kicks a friggin table at people. I reckon it'll be great fight scenes!

- - - Updated - - -

Genuinely a bit envious of you, getting to watch that for the first time. Great film, though I'm not super keen on all of it.

I posted that clip earlier in the thread.

Also... I got my tickets today!!!
giphy.gif

From what I've read, the DCEU Amazons are trained as deadly warriors, but also to not use violence unless necessary, so this Wonder Woman might be reluctant to fight at first I suppose. But when she's ready to fight, you better not be in her way, from what I've read about on the web (early fan screening reports).
She's much more aggressive in the excellent cartoon I think. I'm fine either way, as long as she kicks ass when it's needed, and judging by the trailer and clips, she's got Batman's tactical skills combined with Superman's strength, with a sword in the mix, so I'm not too worried about that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...-summers-most-anticipated-movie/#2bcd6bb94300

The first round of tracking predicts a $65 million weekend, but I still think $85-$95m (if not higher) is what we're looking at, especially if the reviews turn out to be as good as presumed. On the other hand, if the reviews are good I'm less concerned if that opening figure is lower. The Fandango presales are besting Captain America: The First Avenger, but that film opened with $65m back in 2011.

I certainly hope so, because I (and a lot of other female fans) it's kind of a given that if it doesn't bring in huge numbers for its opening, we're potentially going to see Captain Marvel taken off the table and yet another "women clearly can't carry a film so f-it, let's do another round of Spider-Man/Batman movies".

The biggest mistake that people do when making a female-centric film, especially in the earliest incarnations, is that they try to go too far in any one direction. Either the female falls apart often in a caricature of how women are traditionally seen, or they are too masculine in their portrayal, making them seem less like a female role and more like the "dude with boobs" thing. The trick is not to downplay the femininity or make it hamfisted or even make it a "grrl power" thing. The trick lies in an honest portrayal. A female superhero should not have to sacrifice her femininity to fight crime, nor should she shove it in everyone's faces, and most definitely she shouldn't turn every save into an object lesson about breaking the glass ceiling, so to speak.

Wonder Woman should really be done in such a way that, were you to take her out and replace her with, say, Superman, the entire film should remain largely unchanged.

A female superhero should not be a hero in spite of being a woman, nor should she be a hero because she's a woman.

A female superhero should be a hero who just happens to be a woman. Nothing more, nothing less.

As soon as people figure that out, we'll start having good female-centric superhero movies.

The biggest mistake that people do when making a female-centric film, especially in the earliest incarnations, is that they try to go too far in any one direction. Either the female falls apart often in a caricature of how women are traditionally seen, or they are too masculine in their portrayal, making them seem less like a female role and more like the "dude with boobs" thing. The trick is not to downplay the femininity or make it hamfisted or even make it a "grrl power" thing. The trick lies in an honest portrayal. A female superhero should not have to sacrifice her femininity to fight crime, nor should she shove it in everyone's faces, and most definitely she shouldn't turn every save into an object lesson about breaking the glass ceiling, so to speak.

Wonder Woman should really be done in such a way that, were you to take her out and replace her with, say, Superman, the entire film should remain largely unchanged.

A female superhero should not be a hero in spite of being a woman, nor should she be a hero because she's a woman.

A female superhero should be a hero who just happens to be a woman. Nothing more, nothing less.

As soon as people figure that out, we'll start having good female-centric superhero movies.

If the forum drinking game holds true, prepare to be bombarded. brave man ;o)

Unlike Black Widow, who wasn't as well known up untilthe marvel movies (at least I don't think so), WW IS popular, liked and well known, and this should have happened long before..
The Animated WW movie from 2009 or so was a breath of fresh air, and i wish DC had pushed ahead with a series.

sadly, with WW looking more like Paris hilton than a super hero..and this, well, being a DC Movie.. I Have no hoep for this being any good. DC hasn't had a proper success yet imho....i will probably check this out for curiosity more than anything else.

If the forum drinking game holds true, prepare to be bombarded. brave man ;o)

Unlike Black Widow, who wasn't as well known up untilthe marvel movies (at least I don't think so), WW IS popular, liked and well known, and this should have happened long before..
The Animated WW movie from 2009 or so was a breath of fresh air, and i wish DC had pushed ahead with a series.

sadly, with WW looking more like Paris hilton than a super hero..and this, well, being a DC Movie.. I Have no hoep for this being any good. DC hasn't had a proper success yet imho....i will probably check this out for curiosity more than anything else.

Much like Superman, Wonder Woman's stature and physical specs are completely unrelated to her physical capabilities.

It doesn't matter whether they go with the animated clay origin or demigoddess origin, Diana's powers are magical and divine in nature. Her physical strength is not tied to the size of her muscles. She could look like the anorexic love child of McLovin and a coked out supermodel from the 1980s and still be able to go toe to toe with Superman.

And to be fair to Gal Gadot, she knew going in that she would be ridiculed about how skinny she is, and she set out to change it. Now, could she have gone full-on crazy and roided out, turning her body into a caricature of a body building stereotype, but that would be even more disingenuous to the character, as Diana is meant to be strong, yet womanly.

All that said, I have high hopes for this film, and I do believe it will do well. After all, she quieted nearly all skeptics when she showed up to the fight with Doomsday and stole the show from the two title characters.

People who have T Mobile might already know, but today they are doing a deal for movie tickets to see WW this weekend for 4 bucks. Cant go wrong with that! *WW riff*

Amazingly high reviews, some even invoking the Reeve era of DC optimism on screen is back.

Yet I will catch utter hell for this....

I still cannot see this actress as WW, despite tons of marketing, previews, trailers presenting
her in character. Nothing against her acting or her, I just don't see what they saw.

Amazingly high reviews, some even invoking the Reeve era of DC optimism on screen is back.

Yet I will catch utter hell for this....

I still cannot see this actress as WW, despite tons of marketing, previews, trailers presenting
her in character. Nothing against her acting or her, I just don't see what they saw.

Not your fault. Everyone has an opinion. Much of it is based on either Lynda Carter's or the animated portrayal, so people have a preconceived notion of what she should look like, and Gal Gadot does not fit into that notion.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back