Wonder Woman

I like the New 52 origin, and I'm excited for this movie, probably equally as much as the next Batman or Superman solos, so I really hope they prove people wrong and make a great film.

I like the New 52 origin, and I'm excited for this movie, probably equally as much as the next Batman or Superman solos, so I really hope they prove people wrong and make a great film.

I don't think it will work out so well. Is there anything about the New 52 origin that doesn't reduce Wonder Woman to some component to Zeus' story? She went from a character who was defined on her own to being strictly defined by her Dad.

athena_zpsjobe3o85.jpg

Glad that Wonder Woman had a say in all this. And by that I mean none at all. She's not a demi-god who was trained to be the God of War. She's an Amazon. The only way I'll accept this origin is if it's a part of a universe where Batman and Superman's origins are also radically different. I will not accept that Wonder Woman's origin was silly or broken.

It seems like you are not wanting to yield your opinion and possibly see something new for her. What does it matter if she is a child of Zeus? Was she not raised as the daughter of Hypolita? And as an Amazon? She is still the Diana that grew up as a warrior among her Amazon sisters, so I don't see why the reveal of her father should change any of that characterization.

Becoming War, through her own choice or otherwise, was awesome in my opinion, and I tore through the first 4 volumes of her N52 book because I was so interested in seeing where it was going.

Her original origin doesn't have to have been broken for a new one to have merit.

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to attack you or your opinions, but it isn't fair to completely disregard a storyline because it isn't exactly how you would like it.

It seems like you are not wanting to yield your opinion and possibly see something new for her.
Something new? Like the other Bruce Wayne/Batman story where his parents are still alive, or Superman who wasn't an alien?

What does it matter if she is a child of Zeus? Was she not raised as the daughter of Hypolita? And as an Amazon?

We already had a daughter of Zeus Amazon in Wonder Woman's mythology. It was Wonder Girl, her sidekick. And Diana didn't need to be the daughter of Zeus to have direct dealings with him or any of his family members.

And don't forget that Issue 0 was dedicated to showing how Diana trained in secret with Ares, God of War as a young child. You're kind of undermining her Amazon heritage if you show her training with Ares and not with the other Amazons. One of the things I really appreciated about the original Wonder Woman was that Hippolyte was still a living parent to a major super hero and continued to have a strong presence in Wonder Woman stories. Not really the case in New52 where she and all the other Amazons are written out of the story so that Brian could focus more on his New Gods story line where Wonder Woman just goes through the numbers in fulfilling her father's plans. Also, Hippolyte is blonde so that Diana takes on from her father now. Yahoo.

Becoming War, through her own choice or otherwise, was awesome in my opinion
Yeah, it's done absolute wonders for her character. Take issue #39 where she's had the role for a couple of issues.

Wonder_Woman_39_zpscvgje5zp.jpg

Ok... never judge a book by it's cover. Let's take a peak inside and see what it's actually like.

3r8rjw_zpsnfdwf8iu.jpg
41ypma_zpsk3rursbb.jpg

Yep. There's Wonder Woman's development as the God of War put into high gear by having Superman and Batman question her... in her own comic.

She is still the Diana that grew up as a warrior among her Amazon sisters, so I don't see why the reveal of her father should change any of that characterization.

Ugh, what about the change of the Amazons themselves who are now man-hating jerks who sleep with sailors, murder them and later sell their male children off to work as slaves in exchange for weapons and armor? Before New52, the Amazons were the good guys of DC comics that rallied to Hippolyte's cause. What used to be a society that Wonder Woman aspired to live up to is now a group of haters who Diana has to constantly berate into accepting men living on their island (before and after they've murdered a bunch of them of course). This isn't the same characterization at all.

Her original origin doesn't have to have been broken for a new one to have merit. I want to be clear that I'm not trying to attack you or your opinions, but it isn't fair to completely disregard a storyline because it isn't exactly how you would like it.

I'm not the one disregarding a story line because it isn't exactly how I like it.

Brian Azzarello: We’ve cleaned her up. You can describe who she is now. She’s got the specific description now just like Batman or Superman. She’s the daughter of a god.​

That's writer Brian Azzarello saying that he has pretty much fixed Wonder Woman by giving her a Dad in which her life is now dictated by. Oh, and do you think the idea that Grail being Darkseid's daughter won't be her number one character identifying factor? It sure won't be because she's an Amazon.

I didn't mean to stir things up like this, your opinion absolutely has merit and I understand how long time fans could be upset by the changes. I admit that I am not infinitely versed in Wonder Woman and her respective books and history, I just really appreciated her character when I picked up these books. Her being a part of the pantheon appealed to me because I really loved Greek myths growing up, so it was fun to see a familiar character playing against those characters.

Sorry if I came across as combative because I really didn't intend to. Either way I think it will be great to see Diana on screen in any capacity, and I believe DC understands the importance of getting her first appearance right.

Film logo looks fine. Hard to not play this safe when the WW logo is pretty iconic. Hey, at least it doesn't look like a fat bat :lol

^
Obviously not an artist.
Obviously easily amused.

This logo is CRAP, with a capital "C".
I would have been embarrassed to even show this abortion to my boss.
You don't turn in your first rough as a final.
Any artist with a modicum of pride knows this.
I would have done 8 preliminaries, and this abomination would have been the first to be deleted.

It's like they're in a rush to get things done.
They probably are...
They're too concerned with making a "BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE!!!!111!!!"
and not concerned enough with making "ART".

Comic books are "ART".
As a comic book aficionado, I expect ART.
If they're gonna treat this film venture like a frikkin' Justin Bieber album, then I ain't interested.
It ain't that hard to hire ARTISTS.
We number in the MILLIONS, and we're HUNGRY!

I could have done better than this with my eyes closed...

Well seeing the actress in character finally sadly confirms my first reaction, this isn't gonna work for me.
Nothing against the actress but I don't what they saw in her for this part. I'm sure I will be considered from Mars
once the WW mania hits. Seems I am very out of sync with DC films and casting these days.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back