Wonder Woman

Read an article today saying the first WW movie will be set in the 1920s and then the sequel will be in the 30s-40s and then the THIRD movie will be present day. Ugh. Sounds like DC still have no idea they are doing. While it worked for the Capt. Am. original movie, I think doing two period movies is a bit much. I'm not sure the audience wants to see that. I could be completely wrong though.

Read an article today saying the first WW movie will be set in the 1920s and then the sequel will be in the 30s-40s and then the THIRD movie will be present day. Ugh. Sounds like DC still have no idea they are doing. While it worked for the Capt. Am. original movie, I think doing two period movies is a bit much. I'm not sure the audience wants to see that. I could be completely wrong though.

I could have dealt with the two retro timeline movies but only if they had them out before Justice League came out. It just feels like it might be a little odd to watch characters in JLA then get an 'oh by the way, this is who the person is' movie. It didn't work out well for Darth Vader.

Im also feeling nervous about these movies. Though I should be excited. These heroes need to have more depth than I believe they will give them. WW is a very different kind of hero and needs to have heart but ferocity at the same time. I think Snyder did ok with Man of Steel, but I think it could of been better...maybe it will be in the next one.

Michelle MacLaren Signs to Develop and Direct 'Wonder Woman' Movie (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

"Michelle MacLaren has signed on to develop and direct Wonder Woman, Warner Bros’ big-screen take on the iconic DC character.

According to insiders, MacLaren will work with the project’s writers, which remain unnamed at this stage, to lasso together a script for the project, which would star Gal Gadot. Gadot will make her debut as the heroine in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Charles Roven, Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder are among those producing the movie, which has a June 23, 2017 release date.

For the studio, MacLaren’s boarding caps off a director search that began in the summer, and for MacLaren, the deal culminates an on-and-off again dance with the Amazonian princess.

MacLaren became a favorite back in August, taking several meetings. Things cooled over the autumn as the studio widened its search. There was pressure from within to hire a woman for the job as the character has such a strong association with the notion of female empowerment. But at the same time, Hollywood realities were forcing producers and execs to acknowledge that while women directors work in the indie drama spheres or in TV comedy, few have done big-budget, CG-laden tentpoles. In fact, in recent history of comic book movies, no project has been directed by a woman.

The studio did met with several women directors — Jennifer Kent, the director of the well-regarded female-centric horror film The Babadook, was one — while Lesli Linka Glatter, a director and co-exec producer on Homeland, was also on the list.

MacLaren was a top choice from almost beginning due to her muscular work on Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, although it’s her directing and executive producing the much-loved Breaking Bad for which she is most associated with."

This all just sounds like a huge mess! Every time I see some big announcements from the DC camp I keep envisioning a huge room pitch black with a bunch of guns going off hoping they hit something if they fire enough rounds.

I just don't see a clear-cut plan and I would LOVE to be wrong, but I am just worried this whole series of moves they are trying to do are going to be a big train wreck. It saddens me because I really love Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman etc.

Last time on DC, The Idiotic Adventures

"DC wants to hire a female director for 'Wonder Woman'"
"Warner Bros. Seeking Female Director for ‘Wonder Woman’ Movie"
"Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie"

Warner Bros.: We found someone!

"Michelle MacLaren In Talks to Direct ‘Wonder Woman’ Movie"
"Michelle MacLaren Signs to Develop and Direct 'Wonder Woman' Movie"
"Walking Dead's" Michelle MacLaren Is "Wonder Woman"'s Director

Warner Bros.: We did it! We found a female director! Now that that's done, let's tell her what we want.

And now, the conclusion...

'Wonder Woman' Movie Loses Director Michelle MacLaren

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about Gal Gadot in the role.

The issue that a lot of people seem to have is that they automatically write off a casting choice because of the person's lack of acting repertoire. Gal Gadot is no exception to this. You guys are writing her off because she had "supporting parts that don't require much because they don't have it to give." You do realize that you are referring to the Fast & Furious franchise, which we all know is not exactly a hallmark of thespian greatness. The whole purpose of the F&F films is to show fast cars, fight scenes, daring heists, and lots of property damage. Hell, Michael Bay might as well be directing. Acting is absolutely secondary or even tertiary to the screen candy. You watch the movies to see Vin Diesel fight The Rock. You watch it to see people blow stuff up. You watch it to see cars hitting 170mph. If you want acting, go watch A Beautiful Mind.

Sorry for the rant. The ultimate message behind the rant is that it's not that Gal Gadot can't act. It's that her biggest role was nothing but glorified eye candy with a few lines thrown in during a movie where the main cast can phone it in and it'll work for the movie.

Give her a chance, folks.

Agreed: no one thought Chris Reeve could do Superman; even the casting execs, according to the extra material on the Superman DVD, thought he wasn't the type. But they eventually went with him, and the rest is history.

Princess Diana of Themiscyra is "Wonder Woman" because of her inner courage and how she meets the challenge no matter the odds, not how well the actress who plays her fits the "36-24-26" . Give Gal Gadot a chance to nail this role, you might be in for a surprise.

"DC wants to hire a female director for 'Wonder Woman'"
"Warner Bros. Seeking Female Director for ‘Wonder Woman’ Movie"
"Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie"

She's directed some of the better episodes of two of my favorite shows: "Game of Thrones" and "Walking Dead." I'm sure she would have done a fine job with Wonder Woman. That said, DC/Warner's publically announcing that they only want a female director is just as dumb and insulting as saying they only want a male director. They should in all cases look for the person best able to deliver what they want, ignoring everything else.

Monster. A film about a woman who murders people. The New 52 Wonder Woman changed the world's most iconic female Super Hero's origin so that she comes from a tribe of Amazons who also murder people... and sell their male infants off to demons to serve the rest of their lives as slaves... and also murder their Amazon brothers when they wish to return... and also-

This is going to suck.

‘Wonder Woman' Why Michelle MacLaren Left the Film | Variety

" While Warner Bros. made a swift decision this week to hire Patty Jenkins as its new “Wonder Woman” director, industry insiders are still chattering about why original helmer Michelle MacLaren suddenly vanished from the project.

The studio still refuses to elaborate on the cliched “creative differences” joint statement that was issued when the two parted ways. But, according to multiple sources close to the project, the director’s vision for the movie was vastly different from the studio ‘s view. The director envisioned the DC Comics-based “Wonder Woman” superhero movie as a epic origin tale in the vein of “Braveheart,” whereas Warner wanted a more character-driven story that was less heavy on action.

Warner executives, these people said, became increasingly concerned about MacLaren directing a large scale action-packed production when her experience was limited to the small screen, where she’s made her name directing episodes of “Game of Thrones,” “Breaking Bad” and “The Walking Dead.”

The studio is expected to stick with a more character-driven movie would Jenkins become attached. Also an experienced TV director, she cut her teeth on the small-scale indie feature “Monster.”

MacLaren was also unaccustomed to the laborious development process associated with making movies. One person described that process as “tortuous” when it came to the pre-production of “Wonder Woman.” After Jason Fuchs delivered his script, the studio put as many as five other writers on the project to work up various scripts while studio executives simultaneously tested story concepts. “They didn’t like MacLaran’s test,” said one studio executive. (MacLaren’s rep declined comment).

One of the reasons that Warners acted so quickly in picking a replacement for MacLaren was to make sure the studio stayed on track for the film’s planned fall start date and 2017 release.

The studio will now look to get Jenkins up to speed quickly and is already preparing to find the male lead and love interest for “Wonder Woman” star Gal Gadot. Test offers for a handful of actors are expected in the next week. "

The studio still refuses to elaborate on the cliched “creative differences” joint statement that was issued when the two parted ways. But, according to multiple sources close to the project, the director’s vision for the movie was vastly different from the studio ‘s view. The director envisioned the DC Comics-based “Wonder Woman” superhero movie as a epic origin tale in the vein of “Braveheart,” whereas Warner wanted a more character-driven story that was less heavy on action.

Yes... DC has shown such a propensity toward "character driven story" and "less heavy on action". Unfortunately, when I read that, my brain translates it into "she wanted to show Wonder Woman as a competent warrior instead of focusing on a romance to lure in the Twilight crowd" or some such nonsense.

My initial reaction was the same, but Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, X-Men, Spider-Man, etc., all have a romantic element that's central to the story and they worked.

My initial reaction was the same, but Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, X-Men, Spider-Man, etc., all have a romantic element that's central to the story and they worked.

Yup. But they're all men. For some reason, DC seems to think that if there's a female lead, the romance has to be THE central element; the romance or her insecurity. Just look at the atrocity that was the WW pilot, and how DC handled the launch of the Superman-Wonder Woman comic.

Not all of them. Captain America moved on from his romantic relationship with Peggy Carter after TFA, Jane Foster had to be turned into a literal McGuffin in order to justify her presence in the Thor sequel and X-Men's treatment of Mystique in Days of Future's Past is so gross I refused to see film period. You know how much crap I give the New 52 Wonder Woman? Well mark this date down because even Brian's entire run of Wonder Woman didn't include a romantic interest. Yep. Of all the characteristics of Wonder Woman he had to get right, he kept the non-romantic engagements. Plus, even pre-New 52 Wonder Woman thought a romantic love interest wasn't in her character.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-17%20at%2010.07.45%20PM_zpsegmqv2qk.png

Also, this little bit.

bothways_zps7bk9u1yw.jpg

I do love Wonder Woman. :)

Yup. But they're all men.
I get your point, but it's a formula that's already proven successful for several multibillion dollar franchises. It'd be crazy not to have one.

Not all of them. Captain America moved on from his romance for Peggy Carter after TFA, Jane Foster had to be turned into a literal McGuffin in order to justify her presence in the sequel and X-Men's treatment of Mystique is so gross I refused to see the film at all.

Those are sequels, the originals all featured romances. Whether you personally found them palatable or not is inconsequential. Again, these are billion dollar babies and this is Hollywood.

Those are sequels, the originals all featured romances. Whether you personally found them palatable or not is inconsequential. Again, these are billion dollar babies and this is Hollywood.

Yeah, screw it. Wonder Woman should conform to all the aspects that Hollywood wants out of her. Why have something different when she can be like everyone else? Conform... Conform!

Winter Soldier didn't have a romance. Guardians of the Galaxy didn't have a romance (sexual tension between Gamora and Star Lord does not count as a romance). Days of Future Past didn't have a romance.

It can be done and done well. Unfortunately, DC has a tendency to shoehorn romance subplots into movies that that don't actually need them like Dark Knight Rises.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back