The Interview (Post-release)

Re: The Interview

For a second there, from the title, I thought I was looking at a remake of the Japanese horror film, The Audition.

... which might also be interesting with Rogan and Franco.

Looking forward to this. I work directly with this guy, and man, his work ethic. I feel lazy ALL THE TIME.

Maybe I need more weed? the key to productivity? seems wrong.

Scumbag Sony Hackers Graduate To Terrorism | Badass Digest
I was going to watch the movie anyway, but now I have to watch it.

It's understandable if many Americans decide to skip The Interview due to these circumstances, hopefully it will not deter the majority.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/20/go-see-a-movie-in-a-theater-this-weekend/
And in the wake of this recent threat I want to bring up this article from 2012.

And yes, no movie (or any other forms of art) is worth losing or risking lives (though Monuments Men will tell me otherwise). It's up to the individuals to make their own stance on the matter.

Threats to freedom of expression through censorship and fear mongering was expected and now it's threats with acts of terrorism.

Maybe down the line, still watch the movie and decide if you liked or hated it. Cause if you don't watch it, the terrorists have won. (Come on, I had to use that line).

Of course it's irrelevant to those who were not planning to watch it either ways. And I am guessing who aren't fans of Franco and Rogen, maybe aren't fans of Freaks and Geeks either.

I'm torn on the whole thing... While I'm all for freedom of expression, I don't like the way they (Seth, Sony etc) laughed off the threat. It's like Matt Stone and Trey Parker laughing off threats with their Mohammed episode... OTHERS shouldn't pay because you want to poke a bear.

There was zero need in this story for it to be a real dictator... and the Sony hack has been a huge pain in the ass for a lot of people I know, and could still affect my future work directly.

That said... threatening VIEWERS of the flick, rather than the film makers, is getting completely out of control.

Bah, whatever, screw all this. I'm NOT seeing it in a theater... not due to threats, but because, frankly, I'm just tired of all this crap.

Activists to Drop 'Interview' DVDs Over North Korea Via Balloon - The Hollywood Reporter

This is a great example of how cinema can sometimes change lives in unexpected ways in other countries.

Most would take Titanic for granted and won't even imagine that it could have such an impact on some people.

This is likely a stupid unnecessary movie for most movie going public, but it may revolutionize a whole different demographic through comedy.

LAPD to Take 'Extra Precautions' at Movie Theaters Over the Holidays - The Hollywood Reporter

Sony Hack: Carmike Cinemas Drops 'The Interview'

Carmike Cinemas will not to show the Sony comedy The Interview, a source tells The Hollywood Reporter.

The decision followed new threats from hackers issued Tuesday. During discussions with theater owners during the course of the day, Sony Pictures told exhibitors who had booked The Interview that it planned to move forward with the movie's release, but that they were free to decide not to show the film, and that the studio would support them in whatever decision they made.

Carmike's headquarters are in Columbus, Ga. It operates 278 theaters and 2,917 screens in 41 states.

I wasn't planning on seeing this in the theatres. Looks like something I'd wait for to be on cable, but now I'll be there opening day, first show.

Major U.S. Theaters Drop ‘The Interview’ After Sony Hacker Threats | Variety

Top Five Theater Circuits Drop 'The Interview' After Sony Hack - The Hollywood Reporter

Some tweets I came across.

devincf: "Living in NYC after 9/11 was weird & scary. We all thought more attacks were coming. We thought subways & public gatherings were targets.

But most of us still got on the subway. And we kept going out. We felt like cowering would be handing the bad guys a victory.

I remember going to the movies in late 2001 and wondering if a suicide bomber would walk into the theater.

My gf and I spent that New Year's Eve in a Manhattan theater watching FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING and I was, honestly, nervous.

But I decided **** it - these a******s aren't taking away the movies. And neither should the a******s in North Korea.

I'm kind of ashamed that the courage of NYers post-9/11 isn't on display in certain places this week.

Anyway, bowing to terrorist threats is a good way to show other terrorists that threats work. Folding on THE INTERVIEW will embolden others.

Oh, and unless you live in one of the biggest cities in the US nobody's blowing up your ******* theater. Chill out, Bow Tie Cinemas."

mrbeaks: "Good day for fans of corporate liability trumping artistic expression.

And before some of you dopes from last night start pestering me, the quality of the movie doesn't matter. It's the precedent."

jamesrocchi: "Well, good to know that people with the balls to charge $8.50 for a 25-cent bucket of popcorn cave for anonymous, random, unproven threats.

Really looking forward to America's Theater Chains' new exciting policy of only screening Dictator-approved films."

JuddApatow: "I think it is disgraceful that these theaters are not showing The Interview. Will they pull any movie that gets an anonymous threat now?

We also don't know that it isn't a disgruntled employee or a hacker. Do we think North Korea has troops on the ground in the US? Ridiculous"

JacobQKnight: The @ drafthouse is showing THE INTERVIEW. Because they ain't scared: https://drafthouse.com/movies/the-interview/austin

devincf: Congrats to theater chains for giving the studios a strong reason to finally go day and date VOD with big titles.

Could this possibly be a PR stunt? Or are too many heads rolling based on the leaked info for that to be the case?

Yeah the damage done to their company and brand is already so much, it's ridiculous to even consider it's a PR stunt. But it's not the first time I have seen it being mentioned.

Could this possibly be a PR stunt? Or are too many heads rolling based on the leaked info for that to be the case?

That thought had occurred to me as well, but if all the emails and records are fake, then a TON of people would have to be in the loop and keep quiet about it (unlikely IMO) and if they intentionally released real information then Sony would need (again IMO) Titanic-level earnings on the movie to make it worth the trouble.

Yeah the damage done to their company and brand is already so much, it's ridiculous to even consider it's a PR stunt. But it's not the first time I have seen it being mentioned.

Meanwhile, at Sony's head offices in the US and Japan...

NHP_Harakiri_zpstrwa5smz.gif

;)

Sony Weighing Premium VOD Release for ‘The Interview’ (EXCLUSIVE) | Variety

devincf: This is the message to terrorists: you can easily disrupt American life. Call in a threat against STAR WARS or the Super Bowl.

sethgs: @ StaxIGN @ devincf Theaters were open across the country on Friday, September 14th, 2001.

cmisterpatches: Even if The Interview drops on VOD, worth checking out in a theater. Huge step forward for Rogen/Goldberg as directors. Like old I. Reitman.

devincf: Germany rained rockets on London and people went about their lives.

cinefamily: "If @ ArcLightCinemas won't show The Interview, we will.

On the phone with Sony right now. We weren't kidding."

DrewAtHitFix: "No credible threat." Congratulations, theater owners. You just empowered the scumbags.

devincf: Weird #BNAT16 thing: THE INTERVIEW played before 1941, which is about war nerves making people overreact in big ways.

LAPD Chief on Theaters Dropping 'The Interview': It's An 'Unfortunate' Decision - The Hollywood Reporter

Steve Carell's North Korea Comedy Dropped by New Regency After Sony Hack - The Hollywood Reporter
Wow..way to go. I applaud Amy Pascal even more now for taking on The Interview and for sticking with it.

Soldiers risks their lives stand on borders and beyond to protect people and their freedom. That very freedom is being threatened and these theatres chains are being cowards.

Yes, as corporations they have genuine reasons so they can ensure safety of people and avoid possible lawsuits. Still doesn't change the fact that they are cowards.

Sony Cancels Theatrical Release for ‘The Interview’ on Christmas | Variety

Article:

With theater chains defecting en masse, Sony Pictures Entertainment has pulled the planned Christmas release of “The Interview.”

In announcing the decision to cancel the holiday debut, Sony hit back at the hackers who threatened movie theaters and moviegoers and who have terrorized the studio and its employees for weeks.

“Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like,” the statement reads. “We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.”

Here’s the company’s full statement:

“In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film The Interview, we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release. We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers.

Sony Pictures has been the victim of an unprecedented criminal assault against our employees, our customers, and our business. Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material, and sought to destroy our spirit and our morale – all apparently to thwart the release of a movie they did not like. We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.”

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back