The Interview (Post-release)

Re: The Interview

Every theater that canceled their showings of The Interview should show Team America: World Police instead.

So, I guess not a PR stunt, then...

Anyway, it makes sense. I mean, Sony wouldn't want to be associated with saying "Screw it! We're going forward" and then headlines scream about "Bloody Christmas" as this or that theater has a bomb go off. While people would certainly blame whoever claimed responsibility, I expect that Sony would still take a massive hit for it.

Also, with the theaters bailing, this may be a kind of CYA move in that they can at least look like they aren't being told to sod off by theaters that are supposed to be loyal customers, which might be more damaging to the company's value.

NotoriousJLD: This is not about patron safety. This is corporate cowardice on full display. GOP will stop at NOTHING to make sure you don't see the movie.

AlecJRoss: The response by Sony & movie theater chains to hacking will be a business school case study in how not to handle a cyber attack.

ManMadeMoon: Thanks for that lesson in reality, film biz... terrorism works.

jpcinema: @ ManMadeMoon Chaplin was more courageous #thedictator

devincf: I think Hollywood is about to learn that when you give the bully your lunch money one day you had best bring him lunch money every day after

Wow...were are all the guys saying they had six shooters and would destroy anyone that threatens them? This seems no different. Too bad Sony and the theaters made the decision for the movie goers. It is all around cowardice. Of course if the movie sucks you could say you were putting your foot down on terrorism :D

I get it.

I work with Sony people, and it's CHAOS there. CHAOS. they took such a hit already, everyone on edge about every little thing being out online... movies scripts, personal e-mail... DIRT that hasn't even been sifted through yet.

Amidst all this, their consumers are being threatened.

So yeah, there's no credible evidence... but if even one theater has an incident after Sony decides to keep ignoring threats, they are finished.

Half the theaters bailed on them... Should theaters have? probably not. But who wants to be the guy at the top saying "screw the threats, show it", and then has a "Dark Knight Rises" incident?

For what? A Seth Rogen Comedy? Not worth it.

Looks like North Korea succeeded where the Al-Qaeda failed.

devincf : Now that the feds are saying North Korea is behind the hack (and threats) I guess this means we're officially in our first cyberwar.

"CNN reporting North Korean leaders ordered cyber attack on Sony"

B5F6D3NCQAILKix.jpg

mrbeaks: Night view from space of fearsome country that just spooked U.S. exhibitors into pulling a film from theaters.

B5F9oc9CUAAjut7.jpg:large

News feed of Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea -

DPRK_News: Heroes force Japanese cinema bandits to bow before indomitable fist of Korean people. 10,000 years of life to Supreme Leader Kim Jong-Un!

gholson: Maybe Sony can work out some kind of Spider-Man film rights exchange with Fearless Leader.

The Interview

EDIT - ^^^ way to go ADH!! Fk yah!

Wait!! I saw the new Red Dawn and know what to do in the event N. Korea tries something...

On a serious note, this is such a major setback for us as a nation... It truly makes me sad. And ashamed...

Last edited:

nickruggia: Next time you hear a joke on a topic you're sensitive about and decide the people who made it need to be punished, know you're Kim Jong-un.

edgarwright: Don't stop making ballsy movies.

This should be treated as an act of war, if we went and got caught hacking their stuff they'd be raising hell. This is also a very very good example of why not everything needs to be on a computer hooked to the freaking internet. If companies and agencies would learn to keep secret crap off things that can be hacked this wouldn't happen. This movie was going to be a turd anyhow and I'm amused by the "stars" complaining about the showing cancellations.

I do find it a little amusing that The Pentigon, The White House, and the infrastructure can be hacked and no one bats an eyelash, but boy, hack a movie studio, and that gets people's attention.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back