Fiber optics ??

Fierophreak

I've been reading through a bunch of threads and can't really determine an answer to this. What is the best way to determine what diameter fiber for the model?
Example lighting a 1:1000 Enterprise vs 38" Korbanth SSD vs 1:48 X-Wing. I'm sure there is no straight forward answer but I am looking to start lighting models and need somewhere to start from. I know I'll need a selection of fiber on hand but I would hate to have to rip a bunch out of a model to replace with bigger after the fact. Any help would be appreciated.

0.3 and 0.5 mm would be perfect for all 3 models (of course if you have in mind to light the X-Wing cockpit not the engines with the FO :p). You could go up to 0.75mm for the X-Wing cockpit I guess.

0.3 and 0.5 mm would be perfect for all 3 models (of course if you have in mind to light the X-Wing cockpit not the engines with the FO :p). You could go up to 0.75mm for the X-Wing cockpit I guess.

Thanks, so I could get away with doing most models with .5mm? I guess this stuff is just a learning curve to know ahead of time what you want he final product to look like. I had already known not to light the engines with FO but thanks, lol.

You also have to take into consideration that the thicker the fiber the less it will bend. I wouldn't go larger than .75mm on a model especially if the fiber had to be manipulated much at all with bending to reach its light source.

I'm used to working with glass FO for work, but that stuff has a cladding and you can bend it pretty sharp without breaking it or getting much attenuation. This plastic stuff is a whole new world to me.

For my SSD 38 "korbanth I used 0.5 but I think the 0.3 would have been better

Some photos with 0.5

cimg4927.jpg

cimg4519.jpg

Yup I've had three total. I still have my 88 Formula

I sold my red '86 GT last year. Hope to get another GT this summer. One that actually runs this time!

612.JPG

O.K. Back on topic. Fiber Optics....are cool.

I used a lot of fiber in my SS X-Wing. I used .5mm and .75mm in the cockpit and .25mm in R2's noggin.

025.JPG015.JPG

I don't know what it is about the Fieros but they are almost like a drug.

Thanks for the input. I need to decide what model to start with and just do it.

Do you have a model already you want to light or looking for suggestions? If you can give more specifics we can offer more precise advice. If you have a few models under your belt and can work on a Fiero, you can light a model kit!

Do you have a model already you want to light or looking for suggestions? If you can give more specifics we can offer more precise advice. If you have a few models under your belt and can work on a Fiero, you can light a model kit!

Everything I have right now are Star Wars kits. MPC TIE X-1(2), MPC X-wing, Fine molds TIE Fighters(2), ROTJ Falcon, 38" Korbanth SSD. The SSD is being saved for a much later date. I'd like to get a U.S.S. Voyager as well.

I would start with the Fine Molds Tie for your first excursion into fiber optics. You can use them to light the two cannon tips on the front and flight console in the cockpit. I've seen some light FM Ties before and they are very sharp.

I also have a ROTJ shuttle Tydirium on it's way. I was sorta lening towards one of the X-1's for the first one. I know they are simple like the TIE fighter, as in few FO. It's really just a matter of buckling down and doing it.

Yep, order you some .5mm fiber optic from one of the online sources, I get mine from eBay. You can get a couple hundred feet for under $15. Also grab a few extra drill bits, anything smaller than a .75mm expect to break a few.

Well, I think your good to go. Use epoxy or something similar to secure your fibers to the model. Don't use super glue because it can cause the fiber to become brittle and break.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back