Mask making help needed! Silicone gravity pour.

Whitechapelfx

Hey everyone! I'm just starting out making masks, I've made 2 so far but only ever just brushed layers into the mould, recently I've been looking at injection moulding but don't have a degassing chamber.
I was searching the forum earlier today & saw a mention on gravity pouring, which I'm hoping will be a good way to make the masks, but I don't fully understand how to do it... (I read about air holes & vents being needed in particular places, so I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience of it that they'd be able to share? Or even a good place to find out a bit more about it.

I hope someone can help & thanks for your time!

Paul.

Hi Whitechapelfx,

Yes you need small vent holes in the mold to let out the air and show you where the silicone has made it to. Vent it any where that air can get trapped.

Using gravity to help get rid of the air bubbles is an old technique. You pour the silicone from a height in a thin stream so that the bubbles break before they go into the mold. His works best for open pour molds. If you have a closed mold then you are going to need some sort of injection gun to force the silicone through the mold.

Hey, thanks for your reply!
Ah right, so I probably wouldn't be able to do that with a mask mould with a core? Because I don't think I'd be able to do the injection mould (I think I'd mess it up and have loads of bubbles) are there any techniques that you can use other than injection? How would you pick out where to put the air holes? Would they be on parts that stick out, like the nose? Or brow?

I manage to get neill gortons dvd so I may have to invest in a vaccum chamber & follow his method. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back