Red Planet AMEE Battery Replica WiP

Mike J.

Master Member
Hello all.

Long have I yearned for a replica AMEE battery of my very own. Only recently have I gotten the necessary skills to be able to make my own, or rather, have one be made for me. A buddy and I have been trying to learn SolidWorks in a do-it-yourself fashion. Even with the Lynda.com videos, it's not always easy.... I am however, just competent enough to begin building things I want, like my Iria revolver project, and now my AMEE battery. I'll be basing my AMEE battery off a handy pill bottle that looks about the correct size for the amber 'core' of the battery. This may be oversized slightly, but the price is right. Tonight's progress was a revamping of the top cap, with measurements derived from my bottle. All the landmarks are there, including a groove to hold the black rubber o-ring. I have yet to make the holes for the four rods that connect the top to the bottom. Once both top and bottom are finished, I'll order them in Polished White Strong and Flexible from Shapeways.

Attached are some renders of my part, and the real prop, as seen on screen.

Attachments

• Assembly 1 Render.png
    Assembly 1 Render.png
    285.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Top Cap Render.png
    Top Cap Render.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot1 21 Enhanced.jpg
    Screenshot1 21 Enhanced.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot1 25 Enhanced.jpg
    Screenshot1 25 Enhanced.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot1 28 Enhanced.jpg
    Screenshot1 28 Enhanced.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 86
Here are some slightly higher-res screencaps. Still can't make out much of anything.

Obviously, these have been enhanced in Photoshop, which is why they look odd.

Still haven't gone looking for metal tubing, and will be out of town next week, so no real progress until next Saturday, if then.

-MJ

Attachments

• shot0005.jpg
    shot0005.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 69
  • shot0007.jpg
    shot0007.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 82
Not forgotten! Still working on this. Added a panel line. And some screw holes on the bottom side. Tweaked the big cuts in the side so that they're closer to how the prop looks. Very subtle, but I'll know :)

I still have to source some thin rods, but once I get those I can plug the dimensions into the model and have this all press-fit.

-MJ

That looks good Mike. shoot It looks like a real part. nice render. what are you going to use for what looks to be a rubber O ring at the top part?

A rubber O-ring, naturally. I was able to carve a recess for it, too. Got an eBay listing bookmarked, and I'll order my o-rings as soon as I order my parts from Shapeways.

Thanks for your interest.

-MJ

Not forgotten! I finally sourced some 3mm outer diameter aluminum tubing for the rods. Thank you eBay. I'm just about to go make my holes 3mm in diameter.

Thanks. Here's the latest render. I still have to make the 'washers' and add some phony screws.

-MJ

Attachments

• Assembly Render.JPG
    Assembly Render.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 82
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back