Batman Arkham Origins/Dark Knight/Arkham Knight Pepakura Bondo Mask

CropCircle

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking around the forums for quite a while now and decided to register an account. Some quick details about myself: I am final year architecture student currently studying in London. I have had quite a bit of prop experience in the past during my high school years, having created my first cowl when I was 14. Having recently finished my degree, I decided to spend some spare time creating a mask as an improvement on the on I did back in the days.

I was always fascinated with the idea of a rigid Batman mask and how that would fit onto a person's face. I was going to do a TDK style mask but later decided to do more of a hybrid because I fell in love with the Arkham Origins suit.

First off, I must thank ruze789 for his incredible pep file (here's the link: http://www.therpf.com/f77/batman-tdk-cowl-batsuit-pepakura-files-162121/). It helped me get started with the basic form of the mask and is a very solid representation of the actual mask in the movies. Without further adieu, here's my progress on the mask so far:

I used a 3d model of the pepakura file to determine the size of the mask, and also the material I will have to trim off in order to fit my head through it:
Screenshot (17).png

Pepakura Progress (much simpler and enjoyable than I expected):
IMG_20140208_175354.jpgIMG_20140208_235111.jpg

The finished pepakura mask was almost identical to the 3d model and the form of the mask from the dark knight movies. I was really impressed as this was the first pepakura thing I have ever done. I knew that I would have to fibreglass and bondo this so therefore the form of the mask was very important.

Here is the finished result so far:
IMG_20140209_210255.jpgIMG_20140209_214403.jpg

Overall I am quite happy with the current progress. The next step would be to fibreglass the insides. As I am staying with housemates and the environment isn't exactly a workspace, I am going to use a water-based resin for fibreglassing to reduce toxic fumes.

Will keep this thread updated in the (very) near future as I continue to develop this mask. I look forward to hearing about your past experiences with Batman masks and the pepakura/bondo workflow as well!

Thanks for the long read and good luck to you with your projects too!

CropCircle

You'll want to invest in a heat gun if you don't have one already. The form of your pep is very nice, but fiberglassing it will warp it. You'll have to use your heat gun to heat up areas that need to be adjusted. The nose on my cowl I'm doing right now keeps pushing down, and I've had to hit it with the heat gun several times to fix it.

Hello mate! I would like to suggest you take a look at this thread

http://www.therpf.com/f77/batman-tdk-cowl-batsuit-pepakura-files-162121/

I have already made this cowl with two materials. One with EVA foam (2mm - crappy - and 5 mm) and polyurethane resin, from a silicone mold. As the mold matrix, I did use this file, built with cardboard paper and then fiberglassed. You can check, if you agree, in my thread.

http://www.therpf.com/f77/batman-tdk-suit-eva-fabric-pvc-pepakura-freehand-203941/#post3169216

Hope that help. This cowl is very nice and worth the effort. Best regards!!!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back