Edge of Tomorrow - Exo Suit Build Research

Gaz

Hi all,

I'm just about to make the jump from familiar territory (pep Iron Man suits) into something a bit different. The intention is to *try* and work out a viable method of replicating the female exo suit worn by Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow. I'm watching the movie this weekend, so I've yet to work out if I actually like the movie enough to invest the effort, but at this stage I'm reviewing some reference images to get my head around the project. Obviously, it would be a freehand build out of a variety of materials.

I'm getting stuck on the hinges however.

From my (limited) experience with the Iron Man armours, I always found the elbow and knee hinges to be the definite weak point of the entire build. In fact, in every case, the knee joints break after one day at a Con, and a couple of elbows have given way too. At the minute, I'm relying on binding/chicago screws, screwed into a variety of different materials - simple foam, plastic and reinforced foam. In all cases, it is the screw itself that seems to fail by loosening itself and causing all manner of problems. I can't work out a way to permanently close it either.

Female 1.jpgFemale 2.jpgMale 1.jpgMale 2.jpgMF1.jpg

In all of the images above, in both the male and female suits, the shoulders, elbows, hips and knees (and two scissor-style movements on the spine which I've seen in other shots) have very large, very sturdy "pods" which hinge. These are the key to the build, and the rest of the skeleton is relatively straight forward beyond this.

My question at this point, which I'm finally getting to, is how exactly can anyone suggest I replicate these kind of mechanisms? Bear in mind that I am a man with a limited workshop, by which I mean I don't really have one and have to rely on simple tools and methods excluding vac-forming, 3D printing etc. In my mind, I'm wondering if something similar already exists in the "real world" that I could extract and re-purpose (I was thinking maybe a toy or cheap piece of equipment)?

HI there, I don't really have an answer fo you , but , I am also about to embark on this build. Well in the next 3 months or so. I have been asked by a friend to build one for them and my research has started tonight.

I will be following your thread and also adding anything I can to help. Perhaps you would like to collaborate?

A

A lot of the parts on the suit remind me of the steady cam vest I used to shoot with, more specifically the glidecam smooth shooter. The arms had springs inside and very similar joints... the only problem was that its way too heavy, but I wonder if I can replicate it un a 3d printed part. I'll give it some thought and if I have anything to share ill update this post.

So, I have been looking into this a lot, maybe too much! I have come up with this conclusion, the shoulder mount looks to me like a motorised pan and tilt arm for a film camera, what type I can't find out! If you search pan and tilt arm on google you will see what I mean!

Thanks for for starting this thread, I will contribute as much as I can :)

I just posted a thread asking for help with the Vrataski Jacket build as well. Can I get in on this seemingly small group? Lol. I'm expecting this whole build to be a tad bit heavy, I'm going to try alternatives to the expensive and bulky. What I can say is that a good reference for a should and knee pivot would be to look at a bell housing for a Honda CN250 engine. Of course I wouldn't want to use the actual metal pieces, but if there was a way to replicate the action the clutch has on itself, it might prove sturdy and functional. Anyways, that's jus tmy thoughts. Any updates??

Here are some shots of the sculpt prior to the scanning and solid works process. They might help you to see the forms a bit easier.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

This thread seems to get sporadic attention, but in case anyone runs into it from searching here are some solutions to the problem at hand. As an engineer I see a lot of different ways to do rotary motion, depending on what your needs are. It can be easy sometimes to over complicate things and difficult to think of cheap and/or readily available solutions. The slewing rings are a good choice for this but they seem to be on the expensive side for the average costume. A cheaper idea is to use what are called bushings or slip bearings which are basically just two pieces of plastic or brass that slide against each other (a lot of toys use this type of joint). 3D printing makes slip joints fairly easy to do if you don't have a lathe or drill press. Another solution is to buy some small cheap bearings online and drill the hole on one side of your "pod" to the size of the outside of the bearing and have a peg or shaft the size of the inside of the bearing. As long as they are pressed tightly they should not come out with normal use, they can also be constrained with more plastic/metal. As for the OP talking about the problems with chicago screws coming undone, some Loctite (from the hardware store) should secure them beyond your ability to get them undone. If I have been unclear just let me know, I can try to sketch up a rough diagram in another post.

I agree that these specific slewing rings are on the expensive side for cosplaying as they are meant for industrial applications.
My guess is that they were chosen because they can handle both radial and thrust loading even when mounted to a simple sheet metal support frame.
I'm not sure if those cheap chinese lazy susan style turntables can take all that radial loading without coming apart, that would require some testing

Maybe recreating the igus slewing rings in less durable material (I don't plan on doing any stunts in my suit) is the way to go.

Hey guys, I'm trying this out for the Aussie Supanova (comicon) and would love to see some pics of your finished results if I may? I'm totally new to all this so help to do anything other use cardboard boxes is a step in the right direction!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back