Official dimensions of Kobold D-ring

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hey gang, to make a long story short, i have a friend who is a machinist. We got to talking the other night and i showed him a quick picture of the Kobold D-ring. He told me if I had very detailed dimensions, or better yet a CAD file with all the dimensions of the Kobold his shop could produce them for us!!

my only problem is i'm very new, and i dont have much experience with sabers, but willing to learn. i've gathered many photos from google as reference but much rather have a CAD file of the original dimensions.

is there anyone out there willing to measure up there Original Kobold?

halliwax - I've started correspondence with Sym-Cha, he has confirmed that I have the correct D-Ring Mount on my Linhof flash. I'm moving on to the next phase of blueprinting AND 3D Modeling of the part. Hopefully we can finally bring an uber accurate piece to the community.

I will keep you posted as I make progress, but here are some pics for all to see - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ld22idzpv1z5md6/AABrVqtiBWH4e2izuLhIr3cha

I don't know how long this will take to finally get made, but hopefully we CAN have it made. Tell your guy we are working on it and we will hopefully have a CAD file as well as a 3D printed sample to play with.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
@halliwax - I've started correspondence with Sym-Cha, he has confirmed that I have the correct D-Ring Mount on my Linhof flash. I'm moving on to the next phase of blueprinting AND 3D Modeling of the part. Hopefully we can finally bring an uber accurate piece to the community.

I will keep you posted as I make progress, but here are some pics for all to see - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ld22idzpv1z5md6/AABrVqtiBWH4e2izuLhIr3cha

I don't know how long this will take to finally get made, but hopefully we CAN have it made. Tell your guy we are working on it and we will hopefully have a CAD file as well as a 3D printed sample to play with.

Dave

oh man this is great!! im feeling very confident on this now!!

- - - Updated - - -

can u post pictures of ur resin replica?!

Any updates on the CAD-file or the dimensions of the clip?

And does anybody know something about these nice blueprints and the dimensions displayed there?
It would be a start.

luke_esb_v1.jpg luke_esb_v2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
With Sym-Cha's help I have created an ultra precise 3D CAD file already. Besides that I have a wire-cut and CNC machined part been made from aluminium. You can see it in the pictures. The T-shaped groove is not easy to make. This is my first trial, the measurements are very accurate but still need to be double checked with Sym-Cha's real part. The finishing must also be improved. The part is sand-blasted now.
The price is not low, but if there's interest, I am planning to sell them. Together with other Luke ANH & ESB parts! More about that later. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405635571.565223.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405635578.890864.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Any hints on the ANH parts before I go and finish mine off in the next bit, then mourn my not having these added?!

I am in the process of creating a complete Luke ANH and ESB kit. Everything as accurate as possible, and with the blessing of The RPF's finest. First the ANH saber: T-tracks, Exactra 20 bubble-strip and D-ring with clip. I have some promising results already and things are coming together. But I have made some progress in the ESB parts as well, like the clip and with the Edge-connector! Super exciting! And every part has its own story, which is why I decided to do this. I will show more later.

Well the D-ring and clip I may be in for... I'm guessing since you're talking to Chaim, that it's in the realm of his custom design...

I will be staying tuned.

I am in the process of creating a complete Luke ANH and ESB kit. Everything as accurate as possible, and with the blessing of The RPF's finest. First the ANH saber: T-tracks, Exactra 20 bubble-strip and D-ring with clip. I have some promising results already and things are coming together. But I have made some progress in the ESB parts as well, like the clip and with the Edge-connector! Super exciting! And every part has its own story, which is why I decided to do this. I will show more later.

Interested.

Please mention the original D ring is made from brass, not aluminum and it's chrome or nickel plated.
But I think making it from aluminum will have several qualities:
-no way to sell as a real stuff
-lighter
-no need chrome plating

Please take care, it's not necessary sandblasted, or just a few.

Aluminum gets easy glazed look by sandblasting, far easier than brass especially if the brass has chrome layer once sandblased, so I would suggest to leave the rough aluminum on d rings, and not sand them.

If ANYONE is making Kobold clips I will definitely be on board. Those are very hard to find, harder than graflex flashguns, and I like what I see. Staying tuned.

Okay ... here's a little update ... Roy and I will be meeting again somewhere end of August so we can scrutinize all the prototypes that he has replicated ... sofar the shape of the T-track looks very promising except for the hardness of the material used ... and the D-ring is still a work in progress, whether it will be based on my custom design remains to be seen ... as always it's a matter of practical magic vs. costs vs. demand ;) ... meanwhile lgtsbr has also gotten some ESB Kobold clip measurements and designs from me, courtesy a former member from Spain and even before Roy showed up on my doorstep, so when he returns from the summer, so lgtsbr may also show up with his works in progress sofar . . . these are very exciting times indeed ... regarding vintage G R A F L E X lightsabers ;)

Chaim

Thanks Chaim, for updating! As Chaim says: many replica parts for the G R A F L E X lightsabers are currently in progress and are in different stages of development. I'm happily putting in a lot of time and effort to replicate and reverse engineer them as accurate as possible. I am also investigating different techniques for manufacturing each part. And as Chaim says, this heavily depends on the quantities, investment cost & estimated demand.

Roy

This All Sounds great!
So when Can we expect the ESB parts to be available?
Will they be Aluminum? Will the grips also be aluminum?

I'm looking to drill a hole in my graflex for an ANH D-ring.. just as I was about to pull the trigger on a D-ring I was happy with...

Now I have to wait to see what you guys come up with... :wacko

:D

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back