Millennium Falcon: OT vs EP VII

SofaKing01

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi Gang,

I had a thought... with the images of EP VIIs full scale Falcon having been leaked I'm sure most of us are beyond excited! We can already tell the weathering is MUCH different from the original. This made me think of something and I don't even know how to ask the question w/o creating a firestorm. Also, I am by no means encouraging this idea...

If the Falcon has changed (Han did modifiy it quite a bit) should they modify the original 5' model (whether repaint, weathering, greeblies, etc) or build a new model to match the new full scale prop? I'm a purest so touching/mod'ing the original would be sacrilege but it does pose an interesting question...

My feeling is they are weathering the new full scale prop to match the model. But I would really enjoy your thoughts and feedback. :)

That is an interesting question. I think the Falcon will be remodeled a bit. It would be extremely expensive and time-consuming to track down all the parts to re-create the original, IMHO. And I am sure that will **** off a lot of MF purists... MF: ( Millennium Falcon, not the other meaning ;) ) Since Disney has their hands on it, they are gonna want to leave their mark on everything. And realistically, no-one can say how much of the Falcon is stock and how much is modified, so they could make any changes they like and justify it easily. 20 to 25 years of modifications can change a ship quite a bit, I would imagine. Of course, the last time I built a model Falcon was 20 years ago, so I don't know how valuable my opinion is on the matter. I have been a little worried about episode 7, as well. I am a purist, and I didn't like all the CGI in the prequels, and they fudged the OT when they added CG, IMO. I pray they will focus on the characters and not the effects this time around.

Or, what is being shown in the pictures isn't the original Millennium Falcon, but another YT series ship produced by Corellian Engineering Corporation.

I think it is more then safe to assume it us the Falcon.

Or is it? Remember, originally, the Falcon was to be destroyed during the escape from the destruction of the second Death Star, which is why Han "has a bad feeling" about "not seeing her again."

Plus, since the next film takes place years later, what's not to say the original Falcon wasn't destroyed and Han had no choice but to get a replacement? It'd be like a person who drives a Ford buying another Ford after a car wreck (no Harrison Ford or American Graffiti puns intended).

Last edited:
From what I understand George Lucas did not relinquish the props archive in the sale to Disney. I am almost certain no original props will be used in Ep7 so they would have to build a new model (from which the blue print build files I am sure are being shared by George otherwise the full scale Millennium Falcon couldn't have been built so fast)
So the original 5' model was on display for the Star Wars®: Where Science Meets Imagination tour which just ended March 23, 2014 in San Jose, California after 9 years and twenty cities!
now, we don't know for a fact that small scale models will be used.. they could still very well use CGI for the ships traveling in space.. CGI has come a long way since the prequels... if they do use real models I would think they would need to build new ones as the 30 plus years old props probably aren't in the best of shape and may not hold up to much handling nor would George want his models dropped or blown up! :D After all, there are about 16 R2D2s and none of them will be used for the film! The builders of the new droids had to go to Skywalker Ranch to the archives to take photos and measurements to be able to build the new one! fortunately they hired two R2D2 Builder's Club members to build new working R2 droids and they have the knowledge and expertise to pull this off anyway. They had access to screen used droids for reference and I am sure it will look the same. So if new R2D2s had to be built you can bet all new models are as well.

My feeling is the weathering will match closely to the film but its been 30 years.. wouldn't there be more or different weathering? I don't know that its necessary to make the falcon's weathering the same as it was 30 years ago.

Hi Gang,

I had a thought... with the images of EP VIIs full scale Falcon having been leaked I'm sure most of us are beyond excited! We can already tell the weathering is MUCH different from the original. This made me think of something and I don't even know how to ask the question w/o creating a firestorm. Also, I am by no means encouraging this idea...

If the Falcon has changed (Han did modifiy it quite a bit) should they modify the original 5' model (whether repaint, weathering, greeblies, etc) or build a new model to match the new full scale prop? I'm a purest so touching/mod'ing the original would be sacrilege but it does pose an interesting question...

My feeling is they are weathering the new full scale prop to match the model. But I would really enjoy your thoughts and feedback. :)

Last edited:
Or is it? Remember, originally, the Falcon was to be destroyed during the escape from the destruction of the second Death Star, which is why Han "has a bad feeling" about "not seeing her again."

Plus, since the next film takes place years later, what's not to say the original Falcon wasn't destroyed and Han had no choice but to get a replacement? It'd be like a person who drives a Ford buying another Ford after a car wreck (no Harrison Ford or American Graffiti puns intended).

I would further suggest the picture that JJ posted today effectively confirms it. That is the Falcon. A random plot point never realized in
the films not withstanding. :)

Well it is a lot of years later and finding original parts is needle in a haystack, and Solo and Chewie are bolt-on types of guys so when the Falcon needs something they grab a part from here and another from there and make it work. And, hey, maybe they retired the thing and just tinker with it on weekends back in the garage over a little remember-whening and a few beers while the kids are off doing their thing and the Mrs is out practicing politics or kissing her brother.

I would further suggest the picture that JJ posted today effectively confirms it. That is the Falcon. A random plot point never realized in
Agreed... I doubt the holo chess table came as standard equipment in all YT series ships produced by Corellian Engineering Corporation! :D

Actually, the picture "confirmation" denies that it's the Falcon. So, it's kinda hard to count it as a confirmation when the director of the film denies it is, thus suggesting the possibility that it's not the original Falcon but another one that Han picked up after the original got destroyed. Remember, there's a large gap of time between the films. If you have a good history with a vehicle from a manufacturer, you're more than likely to pick up another vehicle from that same company (and the Falcon was a run of the mill vehicle that had modifications made by Han to make it unique. Nothing saying that Han wouldn't do the same on a new vehicle).

Agreed... I doubt the holo chess table came as standard equipment in all YT series ships produced by Corellian Engineering Corporation! :D

Again, nothing saying that Han wouldn't make the same modifications to the replacement ship after the original Falcon is destroyed.

Actually, the picture "confirmation" denies that it's the Falcon. So, it's kinda hard to count it as a confirmation when the director of the film denies it is, thus suggesting the possibility that it's not the original Falcon but another one that Han picked up after the original got destroyed. Remember, there's a large gap of time between the films. If you have a good history with a vehicle from a manufacturer, you're more than likely to pick up another vehicle from that same company (and the Falcon was a run of the mill vehicle that had modifications made by Han to make it unique. Nothing saying that Han wouldn't do the same on a new vehicle).

then you took his photo post and note too seriously. It was a joke and by putting that note on the chess game table was a way of saying that yes the falcon is in the movie. :facepalm

look at it again and really think about it!
BpS4EBRCMAAZvhE.jpg

Again, nothing saying that Han wouldn't make the same modifications to the replacement ship after the original Falcon is destroyed.

From 1982's 48 hours (paraphrased)
Reggie: How much of my money did you spend?
Han Solo: Oh, about 25 grand. You said I could buy a new YT Series Corellian Ship.
Reggie: So where is it?
Han Solo: This *is* the new YT Series Corellian Ship.!
Reggie: This looks like the same piece-of-junk Corellian ship you had before!
Han Solo: Yeah, I bought the same make, model, year, color, everything the same. That's the way I like it. I get attached to things, Reggie!

:D (see how cheesy that would be for episode 7?)

48-hrs.png

then you took his photo post and note too seriously. It was a joke and by putting that note on the chess game table was a way of saying that yes the falcon is in the movie. :facepalm

look at it again and really think about it!
View attachment 334281

Repeat: Again, nothing saying that Han wouldn't make the same modifications to the replacement ship after the original Falcon is destroyed.

Repeat: Again, nothing saying that Han wouldn't make the same modifications to the replacement ship after the original Falcon is destroyed.
and it would be tacky and silly... see my "48 Hours" post below and maybe you will get the idea. :rolleyes

From 1982's 48 hours (paraphrased)
Reggie: How much of my money did you spend?
Han Solo: Oh, about 25 grand. You said I could buy a new YT Series Corellian Ship.
Reggie: So where is it?
Han Solo: This *is* the new YT Series Corellian Ship.!
Reggie: This looks like the same piece-of-junk Corellian ship you had before!
Han Solo: Yeah, I bought the same make, model, year, color, everything the same. That's the way I like it. I get attached to things, Reggie!

:D (see how cheesy that would be for episode 7?)

View attachment 334283

Yeah, and you forget one thing: Han is really fond of his ship. If the original is destroyed, he'd have no problem buying another one of the same model and make, make the same mods and use it. You forget: Han is much like a street racer (using Harrison Ford's comparison of Han to his character from American Graffiti). If the ship had a good long-standing run with him and it was destroyed beyond repair, he's going to get another one of the same model and make and keep on using it. That's how some humans are.

Yeah, and you forget one thing: Han is really fond of his ship. If the original is destroyed, he'd have no problem buying another one of the same model and make, make the same mods and use it. You forget: Han is much like a street racer (using Harrison Ford's comparison of Han to his character from American Graffiti). If the ship had a good long-standing run with him and it was destroyed beyond repair, he's going to get another one of the same model and make and keep on using it. That's how some humans are.

Okay then.

The Falcon is a hotrod. Anyone who's ever had a sports car or hot rod usually changes out parts for new upgrades every so often. So it really shouldn't make a difference (and wouldn't make sense) if it's part for part the same as the OT models. Han and Chewie would keep it up so it's faster than anything that comes along.

...If the Falcon has changed (Han did modifiy it quite a bit) should they modify the original 5' model (whether repaint, weathering, greeblies, etc) or build a new model to match the new full scale prop?...

Why not contact an RPF studio scale builder and ask if their SS Millennium Falcon can be borrowed for awhile for a bit of filming. (really, how cool would that be.)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back