Thorin Oakenshield

View attachment 333397View attachment 333398
I'm planning to emboss the velvet for his jacket thinger, so that's my homemade embossing stamp.
You made such a good work on this costume. I am in the progress of making my own Thorin and i have a few question :)
What sort of material is you embossing stamp made from? Eva foam/craftfoam ? And your Bracers , you say you used craft foam and leather to make them. Is that real leather or faux leather glued on top of the craft foam.

You made such a good work on this costume. I am in the progress of making my own Thorin and i have a few question :)
What sort of material is you embossing stamp made from? Eva foam/craftfoam ? And your Bracers , you say you used craft foam and leather to make them. Is that real leather or faux leather glued on top of the craft foam.

The stamp is rubber. You can get big-ish slabs of it from art stores, I believe it was made by Speedball and just looks like a giant pink rubber eraser. It's really hard to precisely line up the pattern because of the pile, it'll shift slightly, but you sort of get the hang of it after a while. I recommend gluing it down onto some sort of heavy cardstock/plastic/wood/ anything to stabilize the design so it doesn't flex around instead of staying straight.

The tops of the bracers are craft foam and they're glued to leather for the wrap around to help stabilize it. They're also stitched to the leather. I took some craft foam, cut out the design, then glued that down onto thin foam. The thin foam was given to me by a friend, she got it at a dollar store or something and it's pretty much paper thin, which actually has ended up as the most useful thing! So I Sprayed the design with spray glue then put thin foam over the design and with a low heat hot glue gun (without the glue stick in it) I pressed the design in and got all the details. I was going to do that with leather (that's how the movie ones are done) but I don't have leather working tools or materials and didn't have the money to get any, but the craft foam worked surprisingly well. Besides having to touch up the paint after each wear and having to be a bit careful with them, they're doing great!

Thanks for the swift reply, They really looks like they are made from leather.
Right now I'm working on making masters for all the metal armor bits. Then I'm going to make silicone mold and cast them in resin.
10658916_659733817475075_3829842312725671325_o.jpg

Thanks for the swift reply, They really looks like they are made from leather.
Right now I'm working on making masters for all the metal armor bits. Then I'm going to make silicone mold and cast them in resin.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....916_659733817475075_3829842312725671325_o.jpg

Thank you! Yeah, I think they look pretty damn good for being craft foam!

One thing I found out from doing the bits in resin is that it cuts down on your arm mobility. I know of one Thorin that did her bits in rubber, which would eventually degrade, but I think if I redid this I would just do the sleeve bits in rubber. Also, make extras, no matter how you attach them they're going to fall off. I think I lost about seven bits at Dragoncon (managed to find all but two) and about ten at ALEP (only managed to find one).

Great work!!! The costume looks amazing.

Thank you!

One thing I found out from doing the bits in resin is that it cuts down on your arm mobility. I know of one Thorin that did her bits in rubber, which would eventually degrade, but I think if I redid this I would just do the sleeve bits in rubber. Also, make extras, no matter how you attach them they're going to fall off.

Yeah, i figured that the sleeve would be hard to move in, if i made it like a T-shirt. Thats why i am gojng to make the sleeves seperate and then only attach them at the top of the shoulder with straps. That way the movement should be more loose and i figured that the fur coat is going to hide pretty much everything under my armpits.

Yeah, i figured that the sleeve would be hard to move in, if i made it like a T-shirt. Thats why i am gojng to make the sleeves separate and then only attach them at the top of the shoulder with straps. That way the movement should be more loose and i figured that the fur coat is going to hide pretty much everything under my armpits.

Yeah, it should. I did full sleeves on mine because I cheated layers. The quilted sleeves are attached to the armor coat on mine and then there's nothing under that besides a false shirt (yep, Thorin wears a dickie), and a muscle shirt. I didn't want my muscle suit arm pits to be what you saw when I moved my arms at all. The fur does hide a lot, though I need to interface mine, I'm currently suffering from floppy fur syndrome in this costume.

Yeah, i figured that the sleeve would be hard to move in, if i made it like a T-shirt. Thats why i am gojng to make the sleeves seperate and then only attach them at the top of the shoulder with straps. That way the movement should be more loose and i figured that the fur coat is going to hide pretty much everything under my armpits.

Movement is definitely an issue with full-coverage resin plates. Oh god. The movement. The only way I could do simple tasks like itching the back of my head or picking things up off the ground was to rely on my props. Thank goodness I never fell down or I'd have been stuck like Randy in his snowsuit...

Sasha, I *love* the new photos. You look so awesomely dignified in the seated one!

Movement is definitely an issue with full-coverage resin plates. Oh god. The movement. The only way I could do simple tasks like itching the back of my head or picking things up off the ground was to rely on my props. Thank goodness I never fell down or I'd have been stuck like Randy in his snowsuit...

Sasha, I *love* the new photos. You look so awesomely dignified in the seated one!

I am pleased that I am actually able to kneel and sit on the ground and such in mine, but reaching anything above my chin is near impossible. Which made the one hair in my face TORTURE.

Thank you so much! Those were an unexpected bonus. We tried to sneak up for a quick picture of me on the throne during dinner but apparently when I'm in a big-ass costume I am a bit more conspicuous than I thought. The second I sat down I noticed a wall of cameras. I'm not usually one for making a big fuss, but I ended up causing a big photoshoot and we got all the dwarves up and I got some killer pictures out of it. Hoping to improve a few things before Halloween weekend when I'll HOPEFULLY finally have a Bilbo.

I am pleased that I am actually able to kneel and sit on the ground and such in mine, but reaching anything above my chin is near impossible. Which made the one hair in my face TORTURE.

Oh god, the hair in the face. I totally feel you. I had one right across my right eyelid all day at a renfaire this past weekend and no one could save me from it. Pity Thorin has such luxurious locks.

Holy CRAP! This is an intensely awesome build. Wonderful job. You seriously look almost indistinguishable from the real thing in some of those pictures! Very, very cool stuff.

Love the pic! Did you guys all go together, or did you meet randomly? You all look great together. :)

We're all part of the Atlanta Tolkien Fans group and we all go to Dragon*Con, so we all know each other. I came with some elves, dressed up one of my friends in a Bilbo costume, and talked another friend into showing up as Alfrid! Here's the whole group:
IMG_5003.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back