Secret Cinema to recreate entire town of Hill Valley for Back to the Future show

When I first heard of this I was like.. hmm never been to the UK, perhaps this is the perfect time for a visit: NOPE! :lol I too am very glad I didn't go

So they had two DeLoreans and managed to leave both out of the video, wow, well done :facepalm "everything is perfect" :lol.
In the words of the late, the great, the one and only Robin Williams: SHAZBOT!

doesnt really look that great does it , few garden sheds that theyre calling houses , hill valley signs stuck on everything and random american vehicles that dont fit into any of the movies

glad i never got a ticket
WOW! That does suck! I would have been pissed if I paid money for that :lol

Apparently there were 2 Deloreans...

"I foresee two possibilities. One, seeing the car thirty years in the future would put one delorean into shock and she'd simply quit running. Or two, the encounter could create a time paradox. The results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe!... Granted, that's the worst-case scenario. The destruction however might be limited merely to our own galaxy."

Last edited by a moderator:
As a massive lifelong Back the the Future fan who actually attended this event, I can honestly say that most of the videos and photos that have appeared online don’t do it justice. Everything was great. Not perfect but definitely great. So what if they weren’t 100% screen-accurate? And who cares if they used their artistic license in parts? The effort, creativity, attention to detail and atmosphere at the venue made it an amazing experience. The entire production was extremely well done and I have not even the slightest regret. But I guess you had to be there.

Well, what they did in the video posted above looks pretty darn cool, whatever other shortcomings they might have had. I'll never tire of seeing the reaction shot of Doc Brown at 0:51! :lol

Qapla'

SSB

So what if they weren’t 100% screen-accurate? And who cares if they used their artistic license in parts?
I'm guessing everyone on this forum cares as it's a site dedicated to creating completely accurate replicas. I must have missed the part in the movies where every resident lives in a garden shed :p

Right!? This looks like random 50's town with "Hill Valley" plastered on as much as possible. The only thing that looked someway cool was the clock tower attempt. Other than that it looked like an attraction you go to to see "50's life". Not very BTTF if you ask me.

I wouldn't have associated it with BTTF at all if not for the clock tower, and "Hill Valley" written on everything. It is still cool that they made an attempt at such a large scale to create something to evoke the feel of the movie, but it doesn't look like it was entirely successful. But I give them points for trying.

I'm guessing everyone on this forum cares as it's a site dedicated to creating completely accurate replicas. I must have missed the part in the movies where every resident lives in a garden shed :p

If anyone ever thought Secret Cinema was going to build a completely accurate replica of Hill Valley for around £50 a ticket, they’re a butthead!

If anyone ever thought Secret Cinema was going to build a completely accurate replica of Hill Valley for around £50 a ticket, they’re a butthead!

I agree. However I think it would of been a lot better if they scaled down the overall scope of the project and tried to recreate perhaps a section of the square in detail from set pictures. I would not of been bothered with the 50's style fairground which is in no way connected to the film. Instead, a decent facade of the courthouse and Lou's cafe would of been great!

This looks like they thought "hey as long as we have a delorean we can just put random 50's hipster stuff around and hope nobody will notice". It should be about quality rather than quantity.

Granted, I didn't pay for a ticket so I don't have much cause to complain, but it's not making me line up for the next Secret Cinema event either.

If tickets to this cost anymore than $5, it would be a ripoff. Crappy, generic '50's era town... They should have at least let people dress as characters from the movie from any era. What a total letdown.

If tickets to this cost anymore than $5, it would be a ripoff. Crappy, generic '50's era town... They should have at least let people dress as characters from the movie from any era. What a total letdown.

There was absolutely nothing generic about this. All those complaining about a generic 1950s town either weren't there to experience the town or mustn’t have watched the film very closely enough. All the main shopfronts (and more) from the 1955 Hill Valley Courthouse Square had been recreated in some way or form. Building accurate sets just wouldn’t have been practical, entertaining, or feasible within the given budget. A tiny working version of Lou’s Cafe where thousands of people could get food and drinks? Get real. What they did was great and exceeded my high expectations. Those “sheds” were actually a nice touch too, with some subtle references and details. Maybe someday some millionaire will rebuild a screen-accurate Hill Valley and make you all happy. Until then, events like this make me feel proud to be a BTTF fan. Even Bob Gale – who was there when I attended and gave a short speech before the main feature – seemed genuinely impressed by it all.

I don’t know how much it costs to go to the cinema or theatre in the US but this was good value for money in London, where going to the cinema for 90 minutes can cost upwards of £15 and a theatrical show can cost in excess of £50. If you like the idea of an immersive theatrical production with an amazing atmosphere while watching the best film of all time, this was exactly that. If you prefer to see something accurate and flawless, just sit at home and watch the film.

In fact, the only downside to the whole event has been the complaints from so-called fans, who I suspect are going to be even more disappointed when the musical comes out next year, since I’m sure that will be anything but screen-accurate!

By 23rd July they had sold 66,000 tickets.... multiply that by £50 and you get £330,000
Obviously they have additional costs other than theming, but with that kind of budget it is easy to see why many fans are happy that they saved their money/time considering the final results.

Folks on this site are perfectionists for the most-part and would probably be the most difficult to please, especially when much of the marketing/publicity was exclaiming that everything was to be perfect, when it is plain to see that it is not.
It's great to hear that Bob Gale was involved and impressed, but lets not forget he was also involved with the Mattel hoverboard, and we all know how that turned-out.

hahah true! :) although I don't remember him saying anything until the consumers revolted against the product, and I'm sure he would have seen the final product before they got shipped-out?

Personally if people have to explain how cool or "accurate" it was, rather than rely on the photos and videos then it isn't that great. It looks fairly half-assed, poorly thought out and thrown together. The idea that it was "not practical" to build accurate store fronts makes it even more of a disappointment. I would rather just throw my own BTTF get together than pay to go to this place (from everything that I've seen). I'm happy for the BTTF fans that have lower standards.

That's the thing, anyone (myself included) can't really grasp the experience through photos, videos nor text description. I guess one had to be there to experience it, which goes beyond just accurate set designs. Though for many fans here who strive for accuracy I understand why they would be underwhelmed by the pics and videos.

There are moments in life where photos and videos are no substitute because you quite simply had to be there. This was one of those moments. It’s not about lower standards. It’s about not letting your perfectionism get in the way of having a damn good entertaining time. Perhaps that’s not for everyone, but I’m with Bob Gale on this; “one of the finest BTTF experiences in history!”

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back