Warhammer 40k - CeeJay's Space Marine

CeeJay

Hello all! Long time lurker, first new thread.

I've loved Warhammer 40k ever since I was in 5th grade and bought the 2nd edition starter set, even though I didn't actually learn how to play till college though, and I've always wanted to cosplay a Space Marine. Up until now though, I haven't had the time, talent, or resources to really attempt it. And even though I probably still lack the talent, I've decided the time has finally come to give it a go.

I'll be modelling my build primarily off of Sylgian's and Henrik Pilerud's amazing suits, which means I'll be going for a full 7 ft. when I'm done. Which is technically like a foot short for a Space Marine, but as a non-genetically-altered-super-human I'll just have to make do.

IMG_1509.JPGoc_sm1.jpg

My goal is to have the entire suit complete by June of 2015, so just about a year from now. Hopefully it won't take quite that long, but between work, social life, and spreading te cost over a sustainable period it's best to be conservative.

I've already ordered and received my first order of foam from here. I went with 1/2" thick and bought three 72" x 48" sheets to start with, which cost a little over $100.
dConx8Q.jpg

When I started planning the build, I realized that I lacked most of the tools I'd need as well as a decent work space. Which led to a scenario like this:
t0XHtgJ.gif

And ended with this:

HaVIsFE.jpg

With the workbench completed I decided start with the stilts, because if I couldn't get those right then the base of the whole costume would be off. I went with the 3/4" PVC to build the frame, like Sylgian's build. But lacking the 3D printer to make the "feet/pole holder" I ran another piece along the bottom and used hose brackets to attach it to the wooden base:

Wh18qzO.jpgydhI3Iv.jpg

I originally started cutting the lengths of PVC with a hack-saw. Which was slow, messy, and gave less the perfect 90 degree results. On a later trip to Home DepotI discovered that they make a tool specifically for cutting PVC. I highly recommend just having one of those on hand if you every work with PVC, way easier.

After the frame was done, I cut base and shoe platform out of 1/2" plywood, drilled the holes for the bolts, and bolted everything together for a test run:
BrHniSY.jpgBvFHkdS.jpgiYqZ1qG.jpgYwHahrH.jpg

That's all I've got for now. Now that the stilts are done I'll either start on the boots or helmet first. The boots if I'm feeling practical and the helmet because then I can just wear a Space Marine helmet around the house at all hours. :lol

For the Emperor!!!

Last edited:
I'm not 100% on the Chapter, I keep flip flopping. Grey Knights obviously have a "bad ass" factor, but I think they're less recognizable to a non-warhammer fan. My actual army is an inverted Dark Angels scheme, so I'm considering them. But currently leaning towards Imperials Fists, because then I'd be a bright yellow beacon at CONs.

It'd also be cool to do a chapter that hasn't been done yet, but I'm not sure that any of the recognizable ones haven't already been done?

I think I fixed the links, I got logged out while typing the post and I think that broke them.

Today more supplies came in, nothing too exciting, just 3M brand Velcro, polypropylene webbing, clips, strap cinch/tighteners, and D-Rings. All of which will be used to hold the various pieces of the the costume together and on myself:
kdfJRsU.jpg

I've also ordered the Glospex that will add the glowing eyes effect the the helmet. I'll post pics when those get in as well. Next update will be this weekend when I've started working with the foam...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back