MPC Falcon - 1st Newbie Build...

Naokigraphics

I have been lurking here for sometime and looking to make my dent in the modeling community. I just received my MPC falcon in the mail the other day, and after following the threads of the masters... my first out of the gate question is... How do you guys shave off the existing model details so smoothly?

Any help is appreciated... I look forward to being a part of this site!

-Bei

It depends if you want to remove and discard the detail, I wanted to basically start from a smooth surface on the engine deck (apart from the 6 fan vents), so I used side cutters like these:
5.JPG

I didn't try to cut too much off on each cut,.....just snip off in layers......when you are down to the surface....plane off with an exacto blade,..(good thing is the MPC poly is quite soft)

Then I sanded.....until I sanded with a finer grade.......I wanted a totally new surface to start from, so I filled with model filler & sanded until smooth again

enginedeck.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how you get on,......exciting times

J

It depends if you want to remove and discard the detail, I wanted to basically start from a smooth surface on the engine deck (apart from the 6 fan vents), so I used side cutters like these:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t6NrYXVuP7M/UchgsHybgOI/AAAAAAAAJq0/5sjQRd_M-Po/s1600/5.JPG

I didn't try to cut too much off on each cut,.....just snip off in layers......when you are down to the surface....plane off with an exacto blade,..(good thing is the MPC poly is quite soft)

Then I sanded.....until I sanded with a finer grade.......I wanted a totally new surface to start from, so I filled with model filler & sanded until smooth again

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2984/enginedeck.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how you get on,......exciting times

J

I am so glad I have your attention and participation! Your thread specifically is what got my hyped about doing this project!
I am a photographer, so this thread will populate with quality photos soon.

No problem Naokig, happy to help,.....my thread should be helpful for you NOT to make as many goofs as I did!:)

The MPC kit is a brilliant model,....theres so much that can be done with it,....I haven't enjoyed a build more than this kit.....good luck.....enjoy it

John

Good to see another MPC on the block! I always love seeing what people can do with it. For mine, I used an angled wood carving tool which was sharpened really well, and I just planed off all the details with that, filling duff-ups back in with filler and covering holes with styrene and new greebles. I would definitely recommend working on the hull with it on top of a packed-down cloth, it saves it from bending and you from slipping

tumblr_ms4whgBTw51sf4tb1o4_500.jpg

Also I'm not sure what the protocol is for advertising products on threads but I'm about to start my 2nd run of my MPC P.E and resin upgrade kit, if you're interested just shoot me a PM

Good luck, I can't wait to see this started!

Alright folks, progress was made today! I removed the lid from the box.
Not as difficult as I thought it would be, considering there were no directions and I couldn't find any decent threads on box lid removal. I am going to go ahead and stop working on this for today and consider this a victory.
photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

I took Jaitea's advice and ordered some side cutters... after Amazon losing them for over a month in the mail, they FINALLY came in. I have to be honest... I am scared to start cutting into this classic model kit. Any tips for shaving the rear engine deck are always appreciated!

photo.JPG

Alright folks, progress was made today! I removed the lid from the box.
Not as difficult as I thought it would be, considering there were no directions and I couldn't find any decent threads on box lid removal. I am going to go ahead and stop working on this for today and consider this a victory.
View attachment 332929View attachment 332928

comic gold. good start
start looking for some spot putty or some kind of filler now if it's going to take a month....

Started shaving the rear engine deck... not fun... not easy... no idea how I am gonna properly smooth this out when I am done =/
Also not sure why the photo uploaded upside down.
IMG_5556.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back