X-Men: Days of Future Past (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
X-Men: Days of Future Past movie discussion with spoilers.

The movie is getting released in US and most countries on May 23, while few others are getting it on May 21 and 22.

You can find the pre-release discussion thread here.

X-Men Days of Future Past _ Official Trailer 3 [HD] _ 20th Century FOX - YouTube

Release Date: May 23, 2014.

Synopsis: The X-Men send Wolverine to the past in a desperate effort to change history and prevent an event that results in doom for both humans and mutants.

Director: Bryan Singer
Writers: Simon Kinberg (screenplay), Jane Goldman, Simon Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn (story)
Cast: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Nicholas Hoult, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Peter Dinklage, Shawn Ashmore, Omar Sy, Evan Peters, Josh Helman, Daniel Cudmore, Bingbing Fan, Lucas Till

IMDB: X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) - IMDb

Movie Poster

14230477775_622db8e7cf_c.jpg

Amazon.com: X-Men: Days of Future Past (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack): Music

X-Men: Days of Future Past Soundtrack - $9.99

14043825309_2310919334_c.jpg

Comic Cover

14228175212_277ce07c56_o.jpg

Amazon.com: X-Men: Days of Future Past (9780785164531): Chris Claremont, John Byrne: Books

X-Men: Days of Future Past - $11.29 (Collecting Uncanny X-Men (1963) #138-143 and X-Men Annual #4)

14043903387_6ffdfcf523_o.jpg

Amazon.com: X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga (9780785164210): Chris Claremont, Jo Duffy, John Byrne, Mike Collins, John Buscema, Jerry Bingham: Books

X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga - $22.49 (Collecting Uncanny X-Men (1963) #129-137)

14250657943_f7395906a8_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I had to say on Facebook, Tuesday night. In retrospect, I still stand by it...

Just got back from seeing X-Men: DOFP. I'm going to say, it was pretty freaking awesome! I won't post any spoilers.

It's full of excitement and fun. The tone is set just right. The story is great. The actors are all on their game. I'd say if you're a fan of the franchise it's definitely worth seeing.

That being said, it wasn't without its weaknesses. I thought the Beast make-up was a bit too "I was a teenage werewolf." The score was fairly unremarkable; which was a bit disappointing after how good I thought it was in First Class. The actor that portrayed Richard Nixon... Well, at no point didn't I think "that's Richard Nixon." And leave continuity at the door... Because unless you take what they tell you at face value and start overthinking it, it won't make any sense.

I will say that the 3D is some of the better I've seen. It's not distracting but does help to better illustrate the movie visually. In case anyone is on the fence about whether it's worth it...

Lastly (I don't think this is a spoiler), there are some pretty surprising cameos... Though not one for Stan "The Man" Lee.

The first ever X men movie represented the start of the comic book revolution on screen for me and so in a future now dominated by huge superhero blockbusters , just how successful is the latest effort in getting this rather weakened and diluted franchise back to a future present we could all recognise and respect again?
Well, it’s all a bit of a wow factor again actually.
Excluding the fact that ,once again, the effects make the film look absolutely stunningly superb (the Quicksilver sequence alone is a total joy to watch), what I wasn’t prepared for was the absolutely emotional impact the story has. Towards the end of it I’ve got to say I was fairly helplessly choked up and Mr Singer scores a directoral triumphant by combining both a spectacular action climax with a real heart and soul rendering finish. Damn, it really hurts to watch the future fates of characters we’ve known for so long and so well and the heroic sacrifices and choices they have to make!
That future was therefore also surprisingly darker and grimmer than I was expecting, and that bleakness was telling on the film, until we jumped back into the seventies and Singer gets the period style (if you can call it that!!!) spot on. And its then that the time travelling trick really works well.
For by contrasting the older X actors with the First Class generation a really powerful dynamic is put to work because consciously you cannot help but see just how much time has past for that original group and that makes it an altogether more poignant story to watch unfold. Full marks to the cast performances, James Mc’s much troubled Professor X in particular, around whom the films emotional heart kind of pivots, and there are alot of brief glimpses of others that the film couldn't really give more time too, though I do hope there is an extended DVD edition.
And ,as I’ve no intention of spoiling any of the story at all, but to forestall the inevitable arguments about cannon and storylines and trying to reconcile everything as you watch it, my advice would be, just don’t do it. Let the film carry you. If you let yourself consider everything you have seen so far in the series as a “potential storyline“, by the end of it I pretty much guarantee , as well as being rather more moving than I ever expected, you should be left with a fairly strong feeling it all works quite well. And you may find you have to blow your nose rather hard and claim hayfever for the runny eyes.
I’d rate it as at least the equal to X2 and I might even go see it again, except there are plenty of other films coming in the next few weeks I want to see. Including “Edge of Tomorrow”.
Don’t know about end credit sequences as nature called and I really had to listen.

Last edited:
Bryan Singer could probably retire from making X-Men films, cause I don't know if he will be able to top his latest film. Not only is X-Men: Days of Future Past his best film, but it's at par with First Class as the best X-Men film to date.

It doesn't really try to fix the continuity so as to synch with the timelines of all the other films, but at this point it didn't really matter anymore. The movie is entertaining and doesn't have any dull moments, but at the same time it isn't an all out CGI action fest either.

Wolverine is obviously a central character to the story, yet his role didn't take precedence over other characters; in fact he comparatively has lesser big action scenes than the rest, while still binding the narrative with some great emotional resonance along with the rest of the cast..

I was glad to hear John Ottman's X2 theme playing during the opening credits. Lot of great mutant action sequences especially in the future, which are not only very cool but quite brutal as well. Yet, just like First Class what was lacking for me was the rest of the core X-Men team.

After X-Men: Apocalypse, they should definitely consider rebooting the franchise after about 5 years or so.

Just got back from a 10 pm showing, I really loved it. Easily equal to X2, head and shoulders over the rest. The Sentinel scenes were amazing, the future ones were on par on a scary level with the T-1000 in terms of killer robots.

The after credits scene, even though I knew would hint at what was coming was just over the top in terms of WOW.

I just got back from Days of Future Past and I'm tired, so this'll be short: Better than First Class, Not as good as the first two X-men movies, some spotty editing throughout leading to a very rushed narrative, acting is decent even if some are just phoning it in. Good direction from Singer, despite the editing, and there's plenty of familiar faces and winks to the other movies (though a bit ham-fisted). Best set pieces include Quicksilver and, of course, Magneto.

Overall, though, very enjoyable considering that the movie essentially apologizes for the last four movies after X2. Oh, and yes, there is an after credits tease and yes, it's Apocalypse. The movie gets a "Better chance for a second viewing than Winter Soldier."

Saw it last night. THought it was great. Loved how Quicksilver told Magneto that his mom knew somebody who could do what he did establishing the fact that it was his father. It fits well into the canon and undoes all the bad things we didn't like, loved the cameos at the end, I geeked out. And I finally got an explaination on why that Sentinel was in the Danger Room in X3. It basically brought X2 and FIrst Class together and mashed it into one movie with a bit of new stuff that had never been done. Disappointed I didn't get to see Wolvie take some sentinel heads off in future or past but oh well, also loved the weapon x plot twist, I was waiting for my Stryker/Wolvie moment and I got it.

They were going after Rogue because they needed her to heal Kitty after Wolverine slashed her while his mind was going off track. She was being held in the converted X-Mansion turned Mutant prison and that's where they were breaking her out of. If you noticed how kitty was suddenly struggling to stay up in one scene and completely fine the next right before that huge group of sentinels showed up to finish the job? I guarantee you that's how they were able to find them...from breaking her out.

I recall reading that the scene was Prof X and Magneto rescuing Rogue from a sentinel prison camp or something, and that later in the movie when Shadowcat becomes injured, Rogue steps in to take her power for a short while to keep Logan's mind in the past? For me this is a solid movie, accepting the challenge of trying to tie together the veritable mess that is the X-Men movie franchise timeline is a brave move, this movie does it, and does it well. Kudos from me goes to Hugh Jackman, who brings a very different Wolverine/Logan to the table this time, he is out of time (literally) and has to use something other than his claws to get the message across to drunken/disillusioned Xavier that the Sentinel crap is about to hit the fan. A huge surprise for me was Quicksilver, and now after much initial trepidation I can honestly say, he wasn't used nearly enough. But in a movie that tips the cap to almost everyone from the previous movies I guess they have to keep things moving along. I loved First Class, and this is easily as good, if not better, and I can't wait to see where things go next with Apocalypse

Thanks guys, makes more sense now. After knowing that backstory I wish they had kept that scene, as it adds more to the dynamic of the characters using their powers to help each other. It definitely adds more to the overall plot rather than just being a subplot of Magneto and Prof X working together on a mission.

I'm gonna go see it again, I'm amazed how much they've stepped it up these last few movies with FC, TW, and now this especially the brutality, I wasn't expecting to see Colossus ripped in half and Warpath's face burned off. I'm looking forward to the next, I hope Apoc is all CG like the Hulk.

Yep, I plan to watch it again some time next week. Apoc needs to be CG, only his younger self in ancient times was likely depicted by an actor in makeup, unless that was CG too.

One of the things I loved most about the movie was seeing the future X-Men using their powers together like an actual team, something we haven't really seen before in the movies.

One of the things I loved most about the movie was seeing the future X-Men using their powers together like an actual team, something we haven't really seen before in the movies.

You know really, they executed it way better than the Avengers. We had like what?...Only Capt and Iron Man combine their powers in that montage? Here we had Storm, Magneto, and Bishop doing it all together at once. I blew a load watching storm throw that massive bolt of lightning at the xjet that magneto threw.

So I guess we have to assume that Magneto used adamantium from other parts of wolverine's body to give him his claws back for this movie since it wasn't explained? Also, when past Mags was shoving the rebar through his body, it reminded me of this.
4c-Magneto-metal-ripping-Wolverine.jpg

Just got back from it, thought it was good but not great. One thing that's been bugging me was that Quicksilver in the scene right after Eric and Charles are together and he saves them. He was wearing sony wrap-around headphones. Did anyone else see that?

I'm just home from seeing the movie and I have to admit, it far surpassed my, admittedly, low expectations. McAvoy and Fassbender are, once more, outstanding and nearly every scene between them left me grieving for their brotherhood.

It was a far better movie than I expected. The writing was pretty tight and the movie as a whole far more restrained than I was expecting with them casting mutant after mutant after mutant.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back