X-Men: Days of Future Past (Post-release)

I saw it yesterday and thought it was ok. Good, but not great. There are some plot holes and other stuff that I can overlook...I guess.

Just got back from it, thought it was good but not great. One thing that's been bugging me was that Quicksilver in the scene right after Eric and Charles are together and he saves them. He was wearing sony wrap-around headphones. Did anyone else see that?

A lot of Quicksilver's outfit is anachronistic. For example, he's wearing a Pink Floyd shirt with artwork from Dark Side of the Moon. That album was released in March of 1973. Mystique goes to the Paris Peace Accords, which were in January of 1973, so he's got a shirt from an album that wasn't yet released.

That is a good observation with Quicksilver's shirt. I wonder when the shirt themselves where printed, because just looking at his basement; he probably stole it. haha

Another big one is in DOFP Wolverine tells Magneto in the plane that he has spent a lot of years trying to bring him down, but we see him meet Magneto in X-1 (2005) and then Magneto gets de-powered in X-3 (2006) (Going by the timeline above), so as far as we (the audience) are aware of he fights him for like 1 year, pushing 2 years maybe. The argument can be made that since he gets his powers back they may have fought in between X-3 and The Wolverine. Also in the airport, Wolverine doesn't seem surprised by Magneto with his powers, suggesting either he fought him since X-3 or Wolverine knows the cure actually didn't last.

I don't know if I'm looking too much into it or doesn't it seem like most of X-1 still happened due to Rogue's white streak in her hair? Or the Phoenix storyline (still happened/is going to happen) due to Jean's long Phoenix-like hair and dress? I could be just coincidental though. They are small details, but maybe they are clues that some of the events didn't change.

I don't know if I'm looking too much into it or doesn't it seem like most of X-1 still happened due to Rogue's white streak in her hair? Or the Phoenix storyline (still happened/is going to happen) due to Jean's long Phoenix-like hair and dress?

The Rogue thing is important. However X2 happened only slightly differently (and I will have to dig this up, because one of the screenwriters talked about this) when Xavier looked into Wolverine's mind, he saw what a mistake it would have been to harness Jean Grey's power in the way he did, so he DIDN'T in this new future. So she was powerful enough to lift the jet without dying at the end of X2. Soooo no alien entity, but still cool.

Also this infographic from EWpopwatch is one of my favorite things.

x-men_timeline-c.jpg

The Rogue thing is important. However X2 happened only slightly differently (and I will have to dig this up, because one of the screenwriters talked about this) when Xavier looked into Wolverine's mind, he saw what a mistake it would have been to harness Jean Grey's power in the way he did, so he DIDN'T in this new future. So she was powerful enough to lift the jet without dying at the end of X2. Soooo no alien entity, but still cool.
So, she never became the Phoenix, since Xavier never put up psych barriers?

with the sentinels using Mystique's powers of transformation shouldn't they just look tough but not actually transform. I.E. X-1 Mystique and wolverine fight his real claws cut hers right off.

also wolverine was simply a messenger boy but I guess we have seen plenty of him,
and not only how did quicksilver own a Walkman 6 years before they were invented BUT the music was playing at normal speed while he wizzed around now if he was moving that fast he would also have to hear the song slowed down to the same rate unless an object hes touching changes to his speed BUT if that is the case as soon as he touched the bullets they would have shoot forward pulling him with it . and killing X and M and pissing off Wolvie if only he had used a record player contemporary for the times and speed up the turntable he could hear the music at his speed . but it looked cool so who cares woo woo.

Last edited:
well its not rocket science to slow down a tape, im pretty sure he did that, cause hes only wearing the walkmen headphones when hes running.

If were assuming that Wolverine going back in time and altering history changed the future, which created a timeline in which Jean, Scott & Xavier are still alive, then why not assume that Wolverine, who is no longer suffering the loss of Jean, stayed at the school, so was no longer in a position to go to Japan and meet the Silver Samurai, therefore the second Wolverine film is scrubbed from his history, which means he never lost his claws.

His claws popping and cutting Kitty could have been as much a surprise to them that there Metal and not bone, also an indication that something he had/was doing was beginning to effect the timeline.

Just a though :)

Artshot : That's wrong. Up until when he went back in time, the timeline that played out in original trilogy was still all the same. So wolverine did still save Yashida in the 40s which led him to still want his powers so he could save his company.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be that after the timeline was altered, variations of some of the events in the original trilogy still happened. So the events of X1 may have happened very similarly in the new timeline. Wolverine would wake up without any memory of what happened in DOFP. So he could still end up joining Weapon X.

@Artshot : That's wrong. Up until when he went back in time, the timeline that played out in original trilogy was still all the same. So wolverine did still save Yashida in the 40s which led him to still want his powers so he could save his company.
Here's the thing we have no idea if the present day events of "The Wolverine" happened. The WW2 events did, but if you think about Jean Grey's death was one of the driving forces of the film.He saved Yashida still like you are saying and if Yukio came to find him then she would have found him in no time since he would probably still be at the school, remember she had been searching for him for over a year in the original timeline. It is also impossible to tell if he would have went back to Japan since he was hesitate in TW and he was at his lowest point, imagine if he was some what content at the school.

I love the references to The Wolverine in DOFP with the Japanese decorations in 70's Wolverine's room and the line "You're here.." when he sees Jean.

As far as the metal claws go, I don't think any changes in the past effected the future until after Mystique didn't kill Trask. Which is odd, but if Wolverine's changes in the timeline were imminently observable I have a feeling we would see more changes than just the bone claws becoming metal again. I love the theory though!

Saw this last week. I really enjoyed this film. It might be my favorite of the series (followed closely by 'X-2: United'). And the Quicksilver scene in the Pentagon kitchen, ALONE, was worth the price of admission.

Isn't it funny how things change? I remember when we all got our first glimpse of this guy playing Quicksilver at the Comicon panel and we were all saying how horrible he was for the part because all he could say about the character was "He's very fast". Now most of us agree that his scene in the Pentagon was one of the best things in the movie.

I still don't see how people like X2 more than this considering the fights, CG, and story were better but that's just me. The only thing that peevs me is the Mystique thing with the sentinels...She can mimic the look of people, yes, but she cant replicate their powers...That's rogue's job. If they incorporated Mystique and Rogues powers together, I think it would've worked better.

I still don't see how people like X2 more than this considering the fights, CG, and story were better but that's just me. The only thing that peevs me is the Mystique thing with the sentinels...She can mimic the look of people, yes, but she cant replicate their powers...That's rogue's job. If they incorporated Mystique and Rogues powers together, I think it would've worked better.

True. I didn't mind it so much though. I can accept that they just needed to learn HOW DNA could alter itself and from there made the jump to building robots that adapt. Yeah it's a weird leap, but it fits with the universe they're in well enough to pass.

The thing about inconsistencies between the movies is, while that usually bugs the hell out of me, I didn't mind so much because it's not this movie for the most part. The franchise kind of went around the bend a bit, then did a kinda-sorta-not-really reboot with first class. With this one the choice seemed to be to either do the best you can to smooth out the problems created by other directors who don't like to play nice with others, or else recast the roles with other actors and call it a full reboot.

I definitely think they made the right choice on that one. Some of the problems between First Class and X1 & 2 are hard to smooth, and both of the Wolverine movies while they had some nice stuff were also somewhat masturbatory and felt free to just give the middle finger to the rest of the franchise future. Even so it's worth it in my book to try to smooth it out and keep the known faces. Pat Stewart and Ian McKellen alone are enough to make a reboot undesirable. Given the choice I'd rather just fight through the holes than have to restart with new faces.

Just got back from it, thought it was good but not great. One thing that's been bugging me was that Quicksilver in the scene right after Eric and Charles are together and he saves them. He was wearing sony wrap-around headphones. Did anyone else see that?

So I've been trying to find any info on this since I noticed it in the movies and this is the best that I could find.

X-Men: A Tale of the Portable Tape - Tested

So I've been trying to find any info on this since I noticed it in the movies and this is the best that I could find.

X-Men: A Tale of the Portable Tape - Tested
So Quicksilver's belt might not be historically inaccurate and could be the Stereobelt (circa 1972)? Thanks for the article, but either way it doesn't really add or take anything from the movie for me. If that bothered me so would Trask's mutant detector or the non-metal, flying, giant Sentinels. Of course, those are fictional, but why is the Quicksilver belt different? I mean it is based on real technology before it's time, but then so is almost every other technology featured in superhero movies. Why is this different than the Iron Man suit in present day? I know a lot of people complained that Arnim Zola transferred his mind into a computer in Captain America: TWS, because he did it in like the 60's and we can't do that now.(I realize The Avengers and X-Men are not in the same film universe, it's just to makes a point) The only issue with that is if the technology in superhero films set in present is superior to our current capabilities, then it only makes sense that they were always ahead of us.

On the Mystique sentinel thing, I think her shifting abilities only allow the Sentinels to use other powers that have been pooled from mutants. We see one that absorbs Colossus’s metal skin (Rogue), one with diamond skin (Emma Frost), and one using clawed fingers (could be Sabertooth or Lady Deathstrike) this is kind of similar to the whole X-O Deadpool. I have a feeling we have never seen the true extent of her powers from the way Beast and Xavier talk about her. Also she turns into a statue in X-1 so she might be able to mimic the properties of elements…maybe? In the comics, she has “Metamorphic Adaptation”, but that isn’t touched on in the films.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back