Rusty85's EVIL DEAD - BOOK OF THE DEAD 2013

Rusty85

Sr Member
I've been working on a replica of the Book of the Dead from the new Evil Dead remake. I'm planning to make it pretty thick, maybe around 300 pages. I'm using a parchment paper that I've aged with Coffee. I'm actually hand drawing all of the images as opposed to printing them to make it seem more authentic. A lot of the pages I've done so far haven't had all the details finished up, like the blood and some of the additional writing. I've done some watercolor as well on some of the pages and some color pencil. Will try and update more pages as they come along.
Picture043_zpsbec2ee8c.jpg

Picture044_zps2e07f2e5.jpg

Picture045_zpsea820745.jpg

Picture046_zps9c09053c.jpg

Picture047_zpsa49da4b6.jpg

Picture048_zpsf300bc75.jpg

I've seen maybe one or two of these started, but no finished products. Yours is looking great! Where are you getting the reference images for the page artwork?

Thanks guys! Scans of all the original images from the books are on the original artist's site. Some were done by other artists so unfortunately they're not on there but most of them are. I printed them out and then traced them all, which is easier said than done as I think even the simplest ones took maybe 2 hours. I'm just a little torn on what to do once all the movie pages run out. Should I just do it like the Grail Diary where they just repeat? Or should I leave the rest of the pages blank? The original artist told me that the rest of the pages were just text, which makes sense but I can't imagine all of it being text without any pages repeating...
Evil Dead - tanewilliams.com

Unfortunately no, it just takes up way too much time to do each of the drawings along with the aging. I'm sure binding it all together isn't going to be a quick process either lol.

Man, I've really been considering revisiting this. Anyone have any recommendations on what they think might have been used for the paper? Sadly I tossed all the drawings I posted above, but I'm considering doing another as I haven't really seen a replica of this version that looked all that accurate.

I wanted to give this a go, but did the Arcanum from 13 Ghosts instead. The paper used looks like the kind they made at an old style paper mill I went to once, it was thick hand pressed pulp paper.
evil_dead_20.png
You should check out Elderprops.com they have downloadable pages from this, not as accurate as yours but a good start also quite a few text pages and the font in a .ttf
I'd still like to do this but don't have the artistic skills so much. but I think you should perservere.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back