Babylon 5 Whitestar

shaihulud_42

So after being a member here for a while, I never have posted. Figured it was time to start. Basically showing the end of the latest project, a Whitestar from Babylon 5. Several other posts chronicle the WIP on other forums, so if interested, I can repost or send someone a link to that. The work is basically finished, however, there are possibly two things left. Right now, the model is finished with a gloss coat, so trying to determine if I want to keep it gloss or go with a satin. Hard to tell from screen grabs which finish is most appropriate. If anyone has any suggestion or insight, I'm definitely open to inputs. Most of the CGI shots appear glossy, but as there was no physical model for this ever, so hard to say if it is just the lighting or an actual setting on the model.

The second item left to decide relates to the base. Right now the base is unadorned in terms of logos/etc, except the fact that the base design is the B5 interstellar alliance logo. Debating adding some logos on the corners... looking at the B5 shield, Minbari, and Earth Alliance. Also considering the ranger logo instead of the EA, just doesn't look as nice flat compared to the actual ranger pin. Any suggestions or thoughts on this look are appreciated as well.

Any comments or feedback are appreciated. This model (Warp models brand) was quite the bear to work with (started it 5 years ago) given how brittle the resin was and just some of shape issues to bring it all together. The hardest thing honestly was how to finish it with the living/organic skin effect. Overall I'm happy with the results but nearly abandoned it a few times over the years trying to come up with ideal solution.

- Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_3883.jpg
    IMG_3883.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3889.jpg
    IMG_3889.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3894.jpg
    IMG_3894.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 146
The B5 Whitestars were a beautiful design, and it seems you managed to capture it perfectly. Congrats on a superb ship from the best sci-fi series ever.

She looks great! Wasn't the 'skin' supposed to be alive or shifting or something? (doh! just read your post so yes it was!) I would stick with the gloss finish for that reason (and that it looks good the way it is).

I guess I need to brush up on my B5.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back