A Custom Blaster Years In The Making/Update post #15

Scott D

Sr Member
I'm calling it a custom Star Wars Blaster, but it could just as easily be a custom pistol version of Frank Sinatra's sniper carbine in "The Naked Runner." I tried to keep keep the look of prop functional and not go overboard with the greeblies.

I'm guessing it was in 2003 or 2004 when RPF member "Matsuo" posted a pic of a custom blaster that he had put together. It was an Airsoft Mauser with a 3/4" scope on top of it. There was a heat sink on the front of the lower frame, also. I don't have a picture of it any more, but when I saw it back then, it set off a creative spark that resulted in the pics below.

The past 10 (?) years were spent making a few drawings in an attempt to design a unique scope bracket and gathering greeblies.

When Bobadebt recently started another Denix Mauser/Active Project, I got the Mauser, along with a set of wood grips from him. The Weaver K1.5-1 scope, scope rings and scope mount all came from different seller on Ebay around the same time.

This was old-school prop building, using a die grinder, dremel tool, drill, bench grinder and hand files to cut out and shape the 3 piece scope bracket.

I try to incorporate vintage greeblies in my custom projects and this one is no exception. The receiver mounts for the scope bracket were originally clamps that attach Peak 3 cell flash handles to 4x5 cameras. There's a threaded knob from a flash reflector added to the right side of the safety lever. It looked bland without it there.

Execpt for the greeblie that covers the Denix logo, everything is threaded and bolted together. I like to build my props as sturdy as possible.

For the first time I avoided using paint, opting to use Perma Blue and Aluminum Black on the parts that required refinishing. The Denix itself got a serious cleaning/degreasing, which revealed a nice weathered patina under the oil.

The bull barrel and flash hider aren't set in stone. They might get changed out if something better comes along. A Luke ESB flash hider might look good and give it a more SW vibe.

This is my first completed prop project in 10 years. I used to be very active here in the early 2000's when prop building was my main hobby. Times change, but I'm still happy with what I've put together, then and now.

DSC01923_zpsd1898e5f.jpg

On display with the rest of my collection. The Fett rifle is still a work in progress.

Last edited:
Re: A Custom Blaster Years In The Making (Pics)

That looks FANTASTIC !

It looks like a 'heavy duty' version of the Solo DL44. I could easily see anyone in the SW universe having this as their personal blaster.

Outstanding job, it looks great.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice use of the 4 flash attachment brackets on the lower scope assembly BTW.

Nice. I would love some better pics of the rebel dh-17. Is it built with a real sterling?

I readily approve of modifications like you made, it has the feel of the prop and is recognizable as such. Very nice

WHOOAAAAA!!! I SUPER DIG THAT!

That's King!

I was thinking of doing something similar recently, but venturing away from the Mauser as a Base... ^_^ But this is Mega... me likey!

Very nicely done! and excellent wall too. Whats the story on that chrome scope on the webley? Never seen one like that before.

Nice. I would love some better pics of the rebel dh-17. Is it built with a real sterling?

Just a MR version.

Everything in my collection is fan built except for the MR Rebel Blaster and the Training Remote.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nicely done! and excellent wall too. Whats the story on that chrome scope on the webley? Never seen one like that before.

It's an incorrect/placeholder scope until I find something closer. (Optronics 4X20)

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. Hopefully I passed on some inspirational mojo to my fellow RPFers.

Wow.
This should be in an episode of Star Wars it looks great !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so cool! James Kenobi kinda said it best, this is like the heavy duty version of a DL 44! honestly, I could also see anyone in the SW universe using this, and I feel like this is what they should have done for the prequels. I'm 90% sure one of the blasters is a painted toy in EP. 1 and this would have been miles better! great work, and collection!

WOW! I really like the look of your custom blaster! It evokes a sort of BAMF Greedo Killer hybrid design to me, and I can absolutely see it being in Star Wars! It would be interesting to play around with some other flash hiders as well, to see how it could be changed. :thumbsup :thumbsup

WOW! I really like the look of your custom blaster! It evokes a sort of BAMF Greedo Killer hybrid design to me, and I can absolutely see it being in Star Wars! It would be interesting to play around with some other flash hiders as well, to see how it could be changed. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks, guys. I was indeed aiming for an OT look. I've said it in the past, but I would have liked to have seen some "found item" saber props, like the Peak camera flash in Episode III.

When/if Bobadebt offers up some ESB parts in the future, I will get a Luke ESB flash hider and dunk it in Aluminum Black. Another bull barrel with no steps, as well.

If anyone is interested, here's a few design/build-up pics. Actual workshop build time was one month, when I had time to work on it.

Upper scope bracket cut out of a scrap piece of square tubing. Don't worry, our dog still got his anti-flea treatment.

Lower scope brackets cut out of an old steel shelf.

Upper and lower scope brackets, fresh from the bead blaster. The black plastic recessed washers came out of an old/broken Guitar Hero/Rock Band video game that my stepson brought home from somewhere. They were originally longer, having a stepped-down plastic tube on the back, but I sawed those off and made them into washers.

Mock up/test fit.

Ready for assembly. I added additional washers with orings where the upper and lower scope brackets are joined after this pic was made. It looked kind of plain without them.

Thanks, guys. I was indeed aiming for an OT look. I've said it in the past, but I would have liked to have seen some "found item" saber props, like the Peak camera flash in Episode III.

When/if Bobadebt offers up some ESB parts in the future, I will get a Luke ESB flash hider and dunk it in Aluminum Black. Another bull barrel with no steps, as well.

If anyone is interested, here's a few design/build-up pics. Actual workshop build time was one month, when I had time to work on it.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...07/Works In Progress/DSC01735_zpsc66348b7.jpg

Upper scope bracket cut out of a scrap piece of square tubing. Don't worry, our dog still got his anti-flea treatment.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...07/Works In Progress/DSC01745_zps65ed08fe.jpg

Lower scope brackets cut out of an old steel shelf.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...07/Works In Progress/DSC01787_zps4faaf296.jpg

Upper and lower scope brackets, fresh from the bead blaster. The black plastic recessed washers came out of an old/broken Guitar Hero/Rock Band video game that my stepson brought home from somewhere. They were originally longer, having a stepped-down plastic tube on the back, but I sawed those off and made them into washers.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...07/Works In Progress/DSC01789_zps8cc69e2b.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...07/Works In Progress/DSC01791_zpsf941718e.jpg

Mock up/test fit.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...07/Works In Progress/DSC01805_zps71ddf9de.jpg

Ready for assembly. I added additional washers with orings where the upper and lower scope brackets are joined after this pic was made. It looked kind of plain without them.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums...07/Works In Progress/DSC01867_zps46219fa2.jpg

If you wanted a luke ESB Flash Hider, than I know that you can buy them here: propstudiogabe | eBay I believe that Scottjua bought his from there as well., although he did smooth out the lathe marks on his a bit. Hope this helps!

-Alec

OK, here's an update on this one.

Purchased the Luke Bespin flash hider from Bobadebt a while back and I got it this week. Dipped it in Aluminum Black, a light layer of Hopps no. 9 applied and some graphite to help it match the finish of the Denix.

The bull barrel is a piece of copper pipe, painted flat black and a touch of graphite, as well.

This one took roughly 12 years from concept to completion. Very happy with it now.

DSC04097_zpsqxiq0kxv.jpg

DSC04100_zpselyv3uq4.jpg

DSC04101_zpsx26enujp.jpg

DSC04105_zpshf4f2gzx.jpg

DSC04096_zpszc75hvlh.jpg

DSC04097_zpsqxiq0kxv.jpg

DSC04100_zpselyv3uq4.jpg

DSC04101_zpsx26enujp.jpg

DSC04105_zpshf4f2gzx.jpg

DSC04096_zpszc75hvlh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow I love this. Perfect use of found items with those Peak clamps. Look like tools for leveling and calibrating the scope! I've been wanting to start some projects like this. Thanks for the inspiration!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back