First Aluminum-Spun Captain America Shield

Okay, So this weekend was all work! (except seeing X-Men twice because it was so good...) I cleared my shield with a cheap gloss at walmart and I applied 3 thick coats. I then bought a pack of various grit sand papers at Advanced Auto Parts and sanded for a good 2 hours! I went from 800 grit to 2500. I then used this Compound I got at Walmart for $10 and used a microfiber cloth to apply it. It really brought out the gloss! I think it looks great! I attached my star from Valor with some JB Weld and I'm letting that dry overnight. Still have no idea what I'm going to do for straps. I'm looking for something I can do for under $100. Any Ideas?
View attachment 330415View attachment 330416View attachment 330417View attachment 330418

Wow. Awesome.

What I did for straps until I can get in on Valor's next run is buy a 4 pack of truck tie down points from Lowes for $7ish. Then I went to Advanced Auto PArts and got the red 3M double sided auto tape. It's really thick and a small bubble carded roll. I attached the four points with that and ran some nylon webbing from Joann Fabrics thru as straps. I think total cost sub $25.

What I did for straps until I can get in on Valor's next run is buy a 4 pack of truck tie down points from Lowes for $7ish. Then I went to Advanced Auto PArts and got the red 3M double sided auto tape. It's really thick and a small bubble carded roll. I attached the four points with that and ran some nylon webbing from Joann Fabrics thru as straps. I think total cost sub $25.
Thats actually a really good idea. I could find some way to make it look semi movie accurate. Thanks!

Here you go:

10325693_10202044950826664_1399007372377824516_n.jpg

10310090_10202044950506656_7930427070453412692_n.jpg

Like I said in my post, I used the double sided 3M tape from AutoZone. It's red and thick and on a small roll in a bubblecarded package. I'll look tomorrow to see if I can get a product ID from it, but I don't have the packaging anymore. It holds great. I finished this a bit ago and packed the shield around the house...looks like it holds great. I'm actually worried it's going to give me grief when I have to take it off to put on a Valor bracket.

Alright, So I bought the D-Ring tie downs from Menards yesterday for about $7. I used the mounting tape and attached them last night. This stuff really does hold! I used some random Ties I had lying around to test the strength. I'm going to find some thin leather belts and make some straps. I'm going to buy another pack of those tie downs and build the back pack straps for my Winter Soldier costume. I also stole Valor's Guitar Stand idea. Works great!
DSC_0309.JPGDSC_0313.JPGDSC_0316.JPGDSC_0312.JPG

Like I said in my post, I used the double sided 3M tape from AutoZone. It's red and thick and on a small roll in a bubblecarded package. I'll look tomorrow to see if I can get a product ID from it, but I don't have the packaging anymore. It holds great. I finished this a bit ago and packed the shield around the house...looks like it holds great. I'm actually worried it's going to give me grief when I have to take it off to put on a Valor bracket.

Thanks. I missed you'd mentioned the double-stick tape. I'm going to use this idea as well. It may give you grief to take off later, but it'll be a lot easier to take off than KB Weld!

For those looking for leather straps, I believe some are using dog collars. Just pick a plain design in the thickness you desire.

Looks awesome. For those looking for inexpensive strap alternatives you can cheaply customise leather belts to do the job. These are two 8$ belts from Wal-Mart. View attachment 332583

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401587254318.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401587254318.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 374
Alrighty, So my shield is about done! Today, I JB Welded the anchor points down. For some reason, the Mounting Tape kept coming off! I re-taped all the points down with fresh tape but they peeled up again. I bet if I would have sanded the area, it would have adhered better...I bought some thin belts at Goodwill and they look great! I made them so that they can turn into the backpack straps as well. I'll be doing a whole shoot tonight. I really need to get the Winter Soldier Stealth suit soon. I've seen some good ones on Ebay. Does anyone know where to get a good one from? Thanks!
DSC_0318.JPGDSC_0320.JPGDSC_0322.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back