Show me your Red Swingline Stapler!

propcicle

I'm sure there's a few people here who made replicas of the the Red Swingline Stapler from "Office Space". Let's see some pictures. I know Swingline makes a red stapler now, but it's not the same as the movie version. Any good places to get a decent replica or best to buy the original version and paint it?

Do a seach for Swingline Stapler Model 646. That's the correct model (Swingline's current red stapler is the 747, which is the wrong model). I found mine at my local Staples, so you probably don't have to buy online if you don't want to. It's an off-white color. With a bit of sanding (I used a ScotchBrite pad) to remove the stamped in name on top and the glossy finish, it's ready for a quick repaint. I haven't painted mine yet, but she's ready to go once I have a work space (small NYC area apartments don't really lend themselves to painting projects very well).

If you're a member of ssdesigner's forum, you can go to the Movie Props section (if you're not a member, I'm sure that you can join - what's one more prop board between friends). There's a thread at the very bottom of the list with some very helpful information on making the conversion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Combat Baby @ Feb 27 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]1427760[/snapback]</div>
Some argue that the model in the movie is actually made up and customized from other stapler parts. The 646 is close, but may not be the exact model either.

Check out this site as well.

http://www.devinjpoore.com/models/stapler.htm
[/b]

I seriously doubt that the prop department would build a stapler from different models. The 646 is accurate in every dimension. The only problem with the 646 is that Swingline never offered one in red. The prop department took the 646, painted it red and added custom swingline logo stickers to the side as opposed to the top where they are on the original.

-Fred

I seriously doubt that the prop department would build a stapler from different models. The 646 is accurate in every dimension. The only problem with the 646 is that Swingline never offered one in red. The prop department took the 646, painted it red and added custom swingline logo stickers to the side as opposed to the top where they are on the original.[/b]

This is correct, the 646 IS 100% the stapler used in the film. They simply repainted it to stand out more and make more of an impact, ....and added logos on the sides as well as a thin pinstripe :)

-Ss

Hey Scott,

Have we ever decided on whether or not that was a pinstripe or just a reflection of the overhead flourescents? It seems to be there in some shots but not others, but since the stapler is never shown up close, I always felt it could go either way.

-Fred

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gigatron @ Feb 27 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]1427815[/snapback]</div>
Hey Scott,

Have we ever decided on whether or not that was a pinstripe or just a reflection of the overhead flourescents? It seems to be there in some shots but not others, but since the stapler is never shown up close, I always felt it could go either way.

-Fred
[/b]

I think the white line in this pic is different from the white glare, it's too thin and perfect to be a glare....AND...

This is one of 4 staplers supposedly made for the film, I think you can see either the burnt vinyl decal here, or what is residue/adheasive from the vinyl pinstripe:

-Ss

Cool. I've been interested in replicating this prop for a while now, but I just haven't worked far enough down the "to do" list to get to it. So now that I know what model of stapler to buy, does anyone have a source for the Swingline stickers/decals to go on the side? Is the lettering white or silver?

I might be able to have this knocked out for the DFW Prop Party on the 31st :lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedTwoX @ Feb 27 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]1427844[/snapback]</div>
Cool. I've been interested in replicating this prop for a while now, but I just haven't worked far enough down the "to do" list to get to it. So now that I know what model of stapler to buy, does anyone have a source for the Swingline stickers/decals to go on the side? Is the lettering white or silver?

I might be able to have this knocked out for the DFW Prop Party on the 31st :lol
[/b]

I think I have some sets of the white decals left....send me a PM if you're interested.

-Ss

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propcicle @ Feb 27 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]1427899[/snapback]</div>
Cool - thanks for the info guys. Any pics to share - and what about the closest color match?
[/b]

I've always liked Dupli-Color's GM Red. It's a true red color without any weird hints of orange.

-Fred

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ssdesigner @ Feb 27 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]1427851[/snapback]</div>
I think I have some sets of the white decals left....send me a PM if you're interested.

-Ss
[/b]

:thumbsup You have a PM :D

Looks like I'll be hitting the store tonight for some Rustoleum Apple Red as well. Thanks Darkknight0667 :thumbsup

Here's one I made for a friend a couple years ago. :)

office_space_swingline_1.jpg

office_space_swingline_2.jpg

:D I just got back from Office Depot with two Swingline 646's. The trip home from the office should provide ample opportunity for finding the paint. I'll Paypal some money to SSDesigner when I get home.

Wish my Firefly Jayne's pistol would pull together this quickly

Nice and shiny. :thumbsup

Going to check out the local office supplies for a stapler tomorrow.

ssdesigner - you've got pm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dr_slurpee @ Feb 27 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]1427941[/snapback]</div>
Here's one I made for a friend a couple years ago. :)

office_space_swingline_1.jpg

office_space_swingline_2.jpg

[/b]

Re: Show me your Red Swingline Stapler!

OK. Is it just me, or does it look like the Swingline logo here is a raised chrome style?? In other scenes, it looks white a very very thin (vinyl) style. So, what is it?? Raised and chrome or flat and white...

Is there a tutorial up anywhere on taking these apart to make painting easier?

Is there a tutorial up anywhere on taking these apart to make painting easier?
It is super easy.

Step 1) Grip the staple top (including the holder section silver bits) near the front, and grip the base. Gently pull apart. The holder section friction fits into the base at the rear.

Step 2) Look at the inside of the top. You will see a metal flex clip near the front. It is holding in the staple holder. Pull back on the top of the clip while pulling the holder in the other direction until it pops out. Swing the holder back down, and lock back into the base.

Step 3) Place a smooth flat head screwdriver between the plastic top and the metal base where the hinge pin is. Gently twist the screw driver while twisting the top away from the base. You do not need to move it far or with great force. The top will then pop off the hinge.

Step 4) Remove the hinge pin. Once again, gently pull the holder from the base. It is important to not separate the two main components of the holder. There is a spring, and it is under tension. Parts will fly everywhere. And unless you where paying very close attention, you will have a hard time getting it back together.

Step 5) Flip the base over, and remove the rubber bottom.

Step 6) Press the staple bender thingy (don't know what it's really called) up, and place a small 1/8" piece of something under it to keep it in the up postion. This will allow you to mask it off, so you don't paint the chrome bit. You can drill ot the rivet the holds it in place, but you will never get it to work properly again.

Step 7) Wait. You are done. It's in pieces, 5 in all. And hopefully you have put them all in a small baggy so you don't lose them. :eek

The rest is removing the old logo/texture, and then painting it. And of course, assembly is just the reverse.

Hope that was helpful.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back