Show me your Red Swingline Stapler!

I was going to get one of these but the only swinglines I can find are about ten bucks. Fine, but they want shipping to Oz at $50+!

I might put a WTB in the JY some day soon.

Re: Show me your Red Swingline Stapler!

I was going to get one of these but the only swinglines I can find are about ten bucks. Fine, but they want shipping to Oz at $50+!

I might put a WTB in the JY some day soon.

I can get you some Swingline locally if you want. I can find shipping quote to Oz.

Let me know.

Anyone have good red paint brand suggestion?

I used and highly recommend the Rustoleum Industrial line of high performance enamels. I used the "Safety Red" and it turned out fantastic. It is fast drying which makes for wetsanding inbetween coats really user friendly to get a mirror finish and is rock hard upon completion.

I used and highly recommend the Rustoleum Industrial line of high performance enamels. I used the "Safety Red" and it turned out fantastic. It is fast drying which makes for wetsanding inbetween coats really user friendly to get a mirror finish and is rock hard upon completion.

Thanks!
That's what I'll use then. I do want this to be functional and the paint to hold up under usage.

Okay, I'm going with Gino on this one but I definitely say it's not chrome. To me it looks 100% to be a light silver. Not metalic, not gray, just silver. I had some vinyl auto pin striping a while back that looked just like this. Here are some better screen caps. I wonder if there's a way to lightly dust the decals with a silver spray paint before applying them. Anyone know if you could get the front paper off to paint, then reapply it so that you could remove the backing in order to put them on?

2-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-1.jpg

3-3.jpg

1-3.jpg

6-1.jpg

7.jpg

This one will live here in it's spot replacing my old lame one.
Thought about taking it to work but some jackhole will surely steal it!

IMG_7654.jpg

I got 4 more staplers done over the weekend.
These will go out next week.
normal_IMG_9209.JPG

And just for fun......I got these staplers for nothing and decided to paint them.
normal_IMG_9215.JPG

I just took mine apart, sanded off the logo and rough patch on the top, and just put my second coat of primer on. I'll wet sand it here in a little while before applying the first coat of red. I went with the rustoleum Industrial Safety Red.

Here's she is. The camera is horrible so you can't see the polish.

But all in all it turned out great. Fun little weekend project.

2010-09-27140826.jpg

Just for fun.
Whilst looking for the correct one, I saw a few 747s and fell in love with the chrome one which now resides at my office at work.

Found a great pic of it to marvel at it's beauty......

2667766245_18136543d6.jpg

It's the freekin' T1000 and Silver Surfer of staplers.

And I put my intitials on the bottom just in case some SOB tries to steal it.

I just took mine apart, sanded off the logo and rough patch on the top, and just put my second coat of primer on. I'll wet sand it here in a little while before applying the first coat of red. I went with the rustoleum Industrial Safety Red.

Where did you find the paint, and what did you use to seal it (and the decals)?

Where did you find the paint, and what did you use to seal it (and the decals)?

You can get the paint at any Home Depot, or I assume Lowes or other home center. As far as sealing it there is no need. This paint is rock hard solid once it cures and as for the decals, they're vinyl and usually plenty strong for a prop that may get some casual use as a stapler. Albeit may not be wise to use it exclusively in an office setting to expect the decals to last forever.

yep. I got a can of primer and a can of safety red from home depot. Both are the Rustoleum industrial brand.

After I sanded it smooth, I did 2 thin coats of primer and a third heavier coat. After that dried, I wet sanded again. Then I did 3 thin coats of red and a fourth coat a bit thicker. Wet sanding in between.
Then after the paint has dried ALL THE WAY (24-48 hours) I just applied the decals, burnished them with my fingers as hard as I could, and peeled off the backing.

I'd like to take a stab at the white/chrome lettering controversy.

I believe the props department used a white vinyl with a silver adhesive backing. Once heat was applied to the hero Swingline, the white vinyl facing quickly melted away. Because the silver backing has a slightly higher melting point (and is the only layer actually adhered to the stapler), the letters remained and appeared then to be chrome. The discoloration you see on the first half of the label is ash and grime sticking to the adhesive.

Also, it looks like some people have been applying the logo even with the bottom edge of the upper frame of the stapler. If you look at the prop, the Swingline logo is applied to the stapler horizontally even and parallel to the surface it would sit on (the bottom frame of the stapler). Therefore it's higher on the sloped end of the prop on each side respectively.

Just my .02

But what do I know. I just came here to find out how to make my own. You guys are great.

Last edited:

Hey guys, I've seen the term "wet sand" used on here for various materials. The answers I've found on Google are kind of all over the place. Could someone give me a quick lesson how to do this or point me toward a reliable guide? I'm looking to use this technique for my own stapler as well as clay projects.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back