Show me your Red Swingline Stapler!

Re: Show me your Red Swingline Stapler!

Well, I have the art ready to go. I have a vinyl cutter lined up. He has the chrome. But it is only 3mils (003) thick. As chrome, it will look great. I was hoping to find something a little thicker though.

Still looking at difference sources.

I think that would be fine. It doesn't need to be raised lettering.

As for making a hero version with chrome letters...why? It makes no sense to make it white in the rest of the scenes (including ones where it's right in front of the camera where a hero prop should be used) only to use a chrome one later on. Plus it's not in keeping with a swingline stapler.
Why not. It's the props department. Why do they do many of the things they do?? In joke. Last minute change. They really wanted a chrome logo all along, but couldn'y get them in chrome until the last scene was to be shot. Who knows. As far as keeping with a Swingline stapler... Swingline doesn't make a red 646 stapler. Swingline doesn't make a stapler with the logo on the side. Swingline doesn't make a staple with vinyl sticker logos. So, what about this stapler is in keeping with a Swingline?? :rolleyes

Anyway, I can't convince you otherwise since you seem set in the belief, so we will have to agree to disagree.
I disagree. :) I believe that it is white in all the other scenes. But I think it is chrome is it's death scene. From what I can tell, it looks like chrome. And besides, chrome would be SO MUCH cooler. Right??

And SurferGeek; There are only four lights too right?? :D

Oh I know that Swingline doesn't make a red 646 or ones with the logo on the side like that, but in keeping with Swingling is a white plain logo.

I still can't see them changing the logo to chrome only to burn it. Also I can't see how you are convinced it's chrome (or silver) in that scene, there is no evidence to support that...but hey, who am I to tell you how to build your prop right? :)

Personally, I see white lettering. In the death photo, it just looks like they wiped off some of the grime when he picked it up. It was probably just some ash on there and it wiped off easily when he picked it up.

-Fred

So far from what I've seen, it looks like chrome/aluminum, which can appear white when the light reflects off it.

Maybe it would be a good idea for someone to post consecutively all the ref pics we have of it and take a closer look.

Well if anyone does another run of white lettering, please let me know. Screw that silver letter nonsense. :rolleyes

haha i was just thinking about this last night.

i'm also in for white lettering.

This thread couldn't have been resurrected at a better time. After a promotion last month, I was handed a Staples catalog and told to order whatever I needed, the 646 was the first thing I looked for. :love I've been looking for a prop to keep at work that wouldn't immediately label me a geek or disappear when I wasn't around.

If there was another run of the letters, I'd be in for a set.

burntstaplerme1.jpg

I'm sorry guys but I see white letters.

If the charred decal was chrome, it would look more like the chrome of the staple barrel. Also, there is still some white showing on though on the S... barely... but if it was chrome wouldn't it pick up and reflect more light back to us?

Seems unlikely the prop dept would make a 'hero' stapler with a special chrome decal instead. Especially if it was made specifically to look burned. I would guess they used the white 646 to paint red... that is why we see white where the red paint is scratched. The white plastic looks most like the decal. Its white!

Also, isn't it more difficult to photograph a reflective surface? It just doesn't seem likely to me that its chrome.

Looks white to me...:rolleyes

with white stripes on the sides. The charred stripes look the same as the charred letters.

You're all nuts. :p That totally looks like reflective metallic to me.
I suppose someone could just as easily do a run of white AND metallic for those who have already made up their minds.:rolleyes

I gotta say, from these pictures it looks like it's metalic; but stepping throught the DVD and I'm now thurougly convinced it's white.

Well, I sat down and watched the movie again. OK. I was palnning on JUST see the sections with the stapler, but I got up and watched the whole thing. Anywho...

After looking at ALL my reference photos, and looping the end death scene; Yes. The Swingline logo is WHITE!!! But is sure got me looking at it. There are just a few things that didn't jump out at me as white. So, chrome was the next conclusion. Now, with that said... Chrome WOULD be very cool. And I may do a chrome one just for fun. If it sucks, I can just peel it off. The great thing about vinyl.

And they DEFINITELY burnt one. I don't have a grab of the frame, but just after the image above, you can see that the front edge of the top piece (plastic) is warped.

I can ONLY find black ones now. They don't seem to make the white or silver 646s anymore. Maybe it's just a Canada thing. So, I'll have to find a nice good white primer. Black and red; the two most difficult colours to cover. Ugh!!

When I got my staplers a couple years ago I could only find black, didn't see white or silver ones. I used the rust coloured primer for mine so that I would need less coats of red to cover the black.

Oh, also for us Canadian folk, Office Depot carry the correct model, or at least used to. If you have one near you you can get one that way in case anyone was planning to order online or something.

Last edited:

Also voting white - but still haven't found the right staple yet.

Oh Webchief - love the TPS report coversheet :thumbsup

Just as an FYI, I still have a bunch of the white decals, all cut in the correct white vinyl and sized the same as the movie prop. I've sold these here on the RPF for years, just send me a PM for the info. Thanks!!

-Ss

FWIW, amazon.com carries both black and burgundy 646s. They're fronting them for officedepot.com

-Fred

Over the weekend I had a few friends over and we watched the movie together. Three had never seen it before. After the movie I paused the "death scene" for them and showed them some caps on computer as well. My red stapler isn't out on display and they hadn't seen it before as they had only been to our new house once. Without prompting to any color whatsoever, they all of them saw white lettering. Not very scientific but there you are...

Chrome might be "cool" but it's not correct.

Yup... only four lights! ;)

Last edited:

Just as an FYI, I still have a bunch of the white decals, all cut in the correct white vinyl and sized the same as the movie prop. I've sold these here on the RPF for years, just send me a PM for the info. Thanks!!

-Ss

PM sent ! At least I'll have these to start with. I'd like my decals white please :cool

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back