Amazing Spider-Man 2 *RHINO MECH SUIT* (Work in Progress, with PICTURES)

ChandlerPayne

Because I'm insane I've decided to take on the huge undertaking that is building Rhino's mech suit from The Amazing Spider-Man 2 film. This will be a costume for either me or my friend to wear at local comic convention. And if it comes together well it may be worn at DragonCon in Atlanta.

Now then about the suit. I started by gathering up all the pictures of TASM2's Rhino I could find (Which isn't very many since he's only actually in the movie for about one minute.) and studying them. The first thing I thought about was how this thing is going to be seen out of when it's being worn. So far I'm thinking the wearer will look out of the "neck" of the suit.
Underneath the beak (?) of the helmet, through all those coils and rib looking pieces. The horned "head" part of the suit will sit on top of the wearer's head. Probably attached to a bike helmet.
JBvike9.jpg9oK6xVz.jpg

I've decided to start with the horned, "head" part of the suit. I figure if I get the size right on that I can more easily scale everything else on the suit. I started off with a rough blue print of the pieces of the helmet:
016.JPG

I then drew out the full size pattern on paper and cut those out pieces out:
017.JPG
I took the pieces and traced them on cardboard. Cut those pieces out and hot glued them together. It's not finished yet but here's the cardboard demo version of the helmet so far:
011.JPG012.JPG013.JPG014.JPG
Keep in mind that this is just a test version of the helmet to make sure everything fits together correctly. The final, wearable version of the suit will be made out of EVA foam. The foam will be more lightweight and look more like actual metal/steel once it's painted.

The finished version will have red LEDs in the "eyes" to look like this:
asmrhino.jpg

That's all I've got so far. What do you guys think? Any ideas, tips or comments would be great.
I'll post more pics when I've made more progress.
-Payne

Last edited:
Ahhh I'm so excited! I saw the movie on Tuesday and came out with the intense desire to make this costume. I'm glad to see that someone has started it, and I will be following your progress with great anticipation!

I dont think your crazy, but thats probably cause I'm in the same boat as you. I too want to make a Rhino suit based on the movie. I may not do it to a 1:1 ratio, but I would like to get somewhat in a comfortable area. I have other pics if you would like for me to add them here. I also have some concept work they did for the movie. :)

I dont think your crazy, but thats probably cause I'm in the same boat as you. I too want to make a Rhino suit based on the movie. I may not do it to a 1:1 ratio, but I would like to get somewhat in a comfortable area. I have other pics if you would like for me to add them here. I also have some concept work they did for the movie. :)

Awesome man thanks for the support! I'm actually using a ton of pictures of the film accurate HotToys figure to work by. If you're also going to be working on a suit we can totally compare notes.

Thanks to all you guys for the support and feedback!

So I've been working on the suit steadily but it's a slow process getting this thing to fit correctly. If you look at the suit it's not a totally human shape, so fitting it to my friend in such a way that it mimics the long upper torso, and short lower body of the film's suit has been a challenge. But I'm making progress.

So this is what I've got so far:

I started working on the chest plate:
The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Rhino-2-EW.jpg041.JPG042.JPG
I also partially finished the foam build of the helmet:
043.JPG044.JPG045.JPG046.JPG
Still working on a way to see out of this thing lol.
I built a mini compartment where Sytsevich's head was at in the movie.
MNTL7hz - Copy.jpg038.JPG037.JPG036.JPG

I've cut out little "windows" and once the piece has been painted I'll be adding these clear plastic pieces to act as glass.

040.JPG039.JPG

So that's what I've got so far. Next I'll be working on the arms and shoulder pieces. Thanks again for the comments, more are always welcome!
-Payne

Dude! mice work so far. I should be starting my build now that I have a good amount of references and enough materials for one body part. Gonna start with the torso and make my way out.

Haven't posted in a while but I've made some more progress on the suit. It's coming along very nicely actually and my only real problem so far has just been finding enough time to work on it.

Though it's not fully built (there's still a few pieces that go on the back) I finally got around to painting the helmet.

I use an old backpack as a base to attach the chest plate and back pieces too. To put suit on you need someone to hold it for you while you slide into it head first. It's a bit like putting on a turtle shell lol.

Here it is somewhat together. It's still got a lot of work to do but it's getting there. Let me know what you think!
-Payne

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back