Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

View attachment 365519View attachment 365520View attachment 365521View attachment 365522

Ok so hopefully you can see the photos ,
In addition to my previous post i would like to add that if you are about to start on one of these shields - dont be afraid of making mistakes , the biggest problem is getting this prop to a standard we are happy with & trust me its not easy :) but at least you can start over if need be , as i said im not happy with aspects of mine (groves & blue circle )and will quite lilely start again after my holiday .

Read through the threads and cherry pick the best ideas/methods /materials that will work for you , it cost nothing to learn from other peoples experience .
good luck & happy painting .

Mike

Hi spartan

My shield is been delivered Tuesday, I'm just in the process of getting paint etc. would you finish with the gloss clear coat or how do u think a satin clear coat to dull it down would look?
What to would you recommend for sticking the star?
I can't wait to get started, but there's so many tips I just don't know where to start!
Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ready to start shield number 2 this time for my own collection so picked it up from Arnie and I have to say it's better than the original with the back now spun smooth, and for free too so no complaints at all.

To top it off I finally managed to get some Duplicolor Metalcast here in the UK which arrived this morning, time to get taping up again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
Im still waiting for mine. I think they are waiting for the stars to be made.
Where did you find the paints? Im considering getting some candy paint and spraying with my spray gun.

Ready to start shield number 2 this time for my own collection so picked it up from Arnie and I have to say it's better than the original with the back now spun smooth, and for free too so no complaints at all.

To top it off I finally managed to get some Duplicolor Metalcast here in the UK which arrived this morning, time to get taping up again!

Would You mind sharing how You managed to get the Duplicolor shipped to the UK, please???? Maybe in PM if not public?

Regards,

Alberto

Would You mind sharing how You managed to get the Duplicolor shipped to the UK, please???? Maybe in PM if not public?

Regards,

Alberto

I've found a UK company that stocks them. They are mostly out of stock at the moment, They want about £17 per can and £14 postage.
If you want it i will dig out the name.

I don't mind sharing at all.

http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/ but I do believe I bought the last can of red was quite expensive for the 2 cans but only about £10 more than what I was paying for VHT the last time round so decided to go for it. I emailed them a few days back asking if they would be receiving new stock soon but have had no reply.

Clark

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

I've found a UK company that stocks them. They are mostly out of stock at the moment, They want about £17 per can and £14 postage.

Hell yes!! Please:devil

Regards,
Alberto

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/ but I do believe I bought the last can of red was quite expensive for the 2 cans but only about £10 more than what I was paying for VHT the last time round so decided to go for it. I emailed them a few days back asking if they would be receiving new stock soon but have had no reply.

Clark

oops, just noticed You already posted it.

Thank You very much for sharing.

I have my blank waiting for just painting, all of the remaining kits are ready!!

regards,

Alberto

Hi spartan

My shield is been delivered Tuesday, I'm just in the process of getting paint etc. would you finish with the gloss clear coat or how do u think a satin clear coat to dull it down would look?
What to would you recommend for sticking the star?
I can't wait to get started, but there's so many tips I just don't know where to start!
Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello mate & apologies for the late reply, just arrived home from holiday a couple of hours ago .

Am not certain how satin would look as it's not something I've tried & can't recall if anybody else has either , watched Winter soldier on the plane home & the Wife helpfully point out that ' his shield isn't as shiny as yours ' lol . It may be worth trying on a small piece of ally if you have any , my step ladders in my garage have various patches of red & blue on them now .

The glue I used is Evo stick ' serious glue' have used this on all sorts of things over the years and highly recommend it , I tried this as the Jb weld has to be mixed as it comes in two sticks the problem is getting the right amount on to the point of the star , some of mine pushed out and marked the blue paint with a grey residue hence why I will probably redo it at least with the glue I used it's more controllable with a nozzle and will stick to paint which negates the need to mask of a star shape on your blue circle .

hope this helps & if you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask .

Mike

Re: Captain America Shield (UK Production & 1st Thread)

Clark
Hi mate , stroke of luck getting duplicolor from CaswellEurope , be really interested in seeing some comparison photos with the vht painted shield when you finish , my worry would be the lack of comms from them , I had exactly the same thing when I called,I could have bought one can of red but they could not give me a time scale on when they would have more in stock so decided to go with the Vht paint as they as others have said do not reply to emails .

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Just let us know if You'll eventually go through all of the tribulations had by the previous Duplicolor experiment actors!:rolleyes
So that once and for all we will have the correct action sequences for this very kind of paint!

BTW are you going to use a clear satin paint from Duplicolor too or FROM VHT??

regards,

Alberto

I'm not decided on the clear yet. I will probably use 2k clear.
I never got the red Dupli color as they were out of stock. Hopefully they will get more in and most Importantly I hope the shield ships soon as well.

Last edited:
Hi.

Just wanted to say thanks to @clark HD for all this info. I'm looking at starting a shield soon and this has all been amazing info for someone else in the UK.

Looking good everyone.

Hi.

Just wanted to say thanks to @clark HD for all this info. I'm looking at starting a shield soon and this has all been amazing info for someone else in the UK.

Looking good everyone.

More than welcome mate, need to find some time to get this new one started but have a few mini projects that need finishing up first.

I got my full size shield a couple of days ago, its looks great. Will be making a start at the weekend.
I will be ordering another soon and one or two of the smaller ones.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back