The Definitive DC Extended Universe Batsuit Research Thread

Re: The Definitive BvS: Dawn Of Justice Batsuit Research Thread

Mr. Mold maker. I will of course drop the subject. But before I do, I want to clarify. I have never questioned whether your information is correct. In fact I have acknowledged that what I can observe about the gold, blue, bronze, and silver is correct. And at least since I've been posting on this thread, I haven't seen anyone insult you. But I did see one person ask you where the blue, gold, and silver are. Within the suit.

I'm more concerned about what's practical and useful to the group effort of trying to reproduce this fabric. It's cool that you know the people at Ironhead. Perhaps you even work at Ironhead. I understand why you can't reveal information, but if we don't know that information, and you can't tell us, the end result is the same, we still don't know what we need to make the suit. A lot of the information you've revealedl is very interesting, and I'm sure it's accurate, but it's of no practical purpose in this instance. Like, what am I supposed to do with the knowledge that the cowl is an 8 piece collapsible core? And while I know the top coat is gun metal, knowing that does little, because I don't know the specific paint code or how to apply it.

so what about the information that you have confirmed that is useful to us? That you have confirmed it's a stretch Lycra and that its screen printing in 2 layers. I am appreciative of that info because it does help us get closer to reproducing the suit.

Any more high res pics also, the more I have, the better I can replicate.
About the accuracy, I know I have the exact number of "columns", orientation, and as far I can tell spacing too, I did the design righ over a studio pic of the suit, but it got a bit pixaleted while zooming on the panel, so I can't guarantee its 100% accuracy.

You got it Teragon. I'll attach more high resolution photos. I also have the exact same images in CR2 files, which are larger and have no processing at all, because they came from my Canon Rebel SLR Camera. I don't think that they provide more information, but just so you know, I do have them, and can provide them if necessary.

Thanks for working so diligently on recreating the pattern. The only thing I might suggest before you devote more time to this is: you should contact a screen printing company first to see what they need exactly to screen print the fabric. Maybe they can't use any of the file type that you're working on and they might have to re-create the pattern themselves.

Maybe you're already ahead of me and are just showing us a super-imposed file, so that we can conceptualize what you're working on, but since it's 2 layers of screen printing, I'm thinking you have to have 2 separate files, one for each layer of texture, so that the screen printing company can print each layer step by step. I'd be glad to contact a few screen printing companies to see if they can do it and for how much. But before I do that, I think it would be better if I could show them the 2 separate files. That way I can show them how simple the design actually is. If I just show them the high resolution photos, it'll look too complicated and daunting, so they'll refuse us or charge us more.

I'm working in illustrator, so it's one file but different layers for the strips and the fire tracks, all in vectors. But you're right about contacting companies first ! I checked for any screen printers around here but no luck. Must be careful that they offer custom services and not only t-shirts if we want this printed on Lycra, and without a minimum order or 50 pieces or something like that ! I'll attach the file in a moment so they can take a look.

edit : here is the file in .ai : http://cl.ly/2B2w352t2A3V
It contains the 2 layers as I said, scaled approximately at 7 inches. Probably not the exact size, but close, and we can worry about that later.
strips.pngtire_tracks.png

Last edited:

I'm in Los Angeles. So hopefully, there's a lot of screen printing shops around me. Ill take your sample to them, and I'll let you know.

I would politely ask we drop this discussion completely. I am no longer participating in this thread because we have folks in here who are spitting in the face of accuracy and would rather argue and bicker than just discuss the suit. When someone asks a question, and I give an answer.. I have been met with nothing but arguments, insults, and frankly I am done with it. Temper tantrum? Sure. Agitated? You're damn right I am. I don't just "know" some Ironhead people. If you think that's all it takes, you're mistaken and best of luck trying to get any information. Do I have photos? Yes. Can I share them? No.. Of course not. As a professional courtesy I'd never release photos and information given to me in confidence... What I have shared? It's what I CAN share. These guys are under NDAs for quite a long time.. The photos will come out when they can. That I promise you.

The fabric? It's a stretch material.. But it is not spandex. I can't tell you the color code.. I can't tell you the shades used. I don't know. I can say it was screened in three layers, as speculated here. I can say the ink used isn't silver.. It's a gun metal grey, and that the top coat is what gives it that silver look.. I can say that the muscle suit was cast in dark grey.. I can say the cowl was cast using an 8 piece collapsible core. Run in foam latex.. I can say the inside was a work of art. Practically sculpted.. With harder parts inserted for symmetry.. And softer parts for movement. To get the proper wrinkling.. As I've said before, the statues are not accurate in pattern nor color. Only one of the six has a real suit on it.. And even that one was an unfinished and unpainted one. It was the LA premier. But all I've contributed was the colors painted on the suit? Really?

None of my information is speculation. It's not a guess. It's what I've directly been told by people involved in the making of the suit. I've offered many times to answer specific questions and if I didn't know something, I would ask. No one has taken that offer.
I've done more than enough.. Reached my hand out.. And had people spit in my face over it. Call it a temper tantrum... As I call it a statue.. In the end, it doesn't matter. But it's cool guys, I'm glad you all agree it's not a statue. That's what is REALLY important here.

You're all doing very well so far, and I do enjoy seeing at least some people here can come together and work on a mutual goal.. I truly look forward to seeing the finished fabric you all come up with, and best of luck.

Again, I'd politely ask you drop this discussion and move on with the thread. This will be the last word from me. Any further inquiries? Feel free to PM me.

.... Sooo are you or are you not participating in this thread? And if not, why do you care what is said moving forward? To say "I'm leaving!", only to come back and rant about how you are right is the stuff of teenage dating. I'm only going to say this 1 more time, only because I see how much it bothers you (and for the sake of correct information). It. Is. Not. A. Statue. :facepalm

Not being able to admit when you're wrong is a bad character trait. I used to be that way, but I changed. You should try it. It makes life more fun.

Trivial? Sure. Irrelevant. Yeah. The definition is not the point at all. What is though, is that some of you don't bother to check your egos. Some of you are too stubborn to just admit when you've used a term incorrectly. Some of you are entirely too serious and get defensive as if you're working on a cure for cancer. If you're getting pissed off over something like this, I can only imagine how you handle real life problems.

Last edited:

For screen printing textures of this sort, I recommend looking into screen printing companies that are willing to play with specialty inks. The Batman fabric's texture is a structured print. Teragon's definitely has the right idea turning the artwork into multilayers.

XeajcpO.gif

i7UjswG.jpg

947sJJ7.jpg

As for the fabric, I know a few pages back someone mentioned that they have a production piece of the fabric. If they are willing to, they could actually get nylon spandex custom dyed at

A Dyeing Art
http://www.adyeingart.com/

...that way you can at least be able to reproduce the fabric color as close to accurate as possible.

This company has worked on Thor's cape that Chris Hemsworth wears as well as the uniforms in Star Trek, and also the "cape" the "Mandarin" has worn in Iron Man 3

Last edited:

Thanks for showing up here, @kiyominai, your thread is very interesting, but I didn't want to bring too much DC stuff in it since it's the Marvel section. I was definitely thinking of gel inks, at least for the tire tracks. And something a bit rougher but less raised for the strips.
If you don't mind, I've got a few questions that would help a lot to design the rest :
- what kind of file is used to make the stencil ? Could they use a .ai file with little work to do ? I'm just trying to avoid having a team of in-house designer redoing the whole think, otherwise costs are really gonna go through the roof.
- And second, how big are the printable surface usually ? I assume it's not going to be possible to print the whole thing at once, like Fabric On Demand would print a dye sub, so what kind of size are we talking about that would fit a stencil ?
Thanks in advance !

Thanks for showing up here, @kiyominai, your thread is very interesting, but I didn't want to bring too much DC stuff in it since it's the Marvel section. I was definitely thinking of gel inks, at least for the tire tracks. And something a bit rougher but less raised for the strips.
If you don't mind, I've got a few questions that would help a lot to design the rest :
- what kind of file is used to make the stencil ? Could they use a .ai file with little work to do ? I'm just trying to avoid having a team of in-house designer redoing the whole think, otherwise costs are really gonna go through the roof.
- And second, how big are the printable surface usually ? I assume it's not going to be possible to print the whole thing at once, like Fabric On Demand would print a dye sub, so what kind of size are we talking about that would fit a stencil ?
Thanks in advance !

Not a problem, Teragon. I'm happy to help everyone out here.

For the tire tracks, ultra gel works best when creating something as smooth and thick as what's seen in those photos.

As for the files, it's best to ask the screen printing companies. My company prefers to use pdf files with layers. Also, do ask about any hidden charges...they really suck. I know a company that charges $5 just to "handle" your files. Meaning, the trouble of the company just downloading the file is a fee itself.

Printable surface average are big enough to print on a shirt so possibly an 11 x 17 or 12 x 18. It's possible that a company could offer custom sizes though.

- - - Updated - - -

just emailed them thanks for the link dude.

Of course! If they don't reply to you by Monday, give them a call. Edwina is usually busy dyeing stuff to check her emails.

I have seen UD replicas boots and gloves in person. Thats the way I would go if I was to build a suit.

Thanks for the tips Kiyominai !

The boots I personally wouldn't bother trying to make them from scratch, the UD replicas ones are most likely the closest to screen accurate as it gets. The gauntlets however, I'm not convinced. They're fine and all for a UD suit, but too puffy, not sharp enough to be screen accurate.

The gauntlets were a really cool piece. They were stiff, but they definitely felt like shaped leather. And yes, I did get to touch the originals.

-M

You sure they were leather ? They certainly look like leather, but so does the cowl and the belt, but both of which are not. Just asking because they seem a bit sharp for formed leather, usually leather ends up with softer curves, like the UD replicas ones in our case. Maybe they are though, in which case it's gonna be fun to replicate... I'm thinking 3D printed masters and wet form the leather over it, or a pair of Tiger Stone FX urethane ones with thin leather or pleather over them. But I'm gonna focus on the body suit for the moment, it takes a tremendous amount of time, so if I start dissipating myself left and right, it's never gonna get done.

Last edited:

But I''m gonna focus on the body suit for the moment, it takes a tremendous amount of time, so if I start dissipating myself left and right, it's never gonna get done.

I'll upload more photos from my camera later today. Today is Monday so hopefully some screen printing companies will get back to me.

I have seen UD replicas boots and gloves in person. That's the way I would go if I was to build a suit.

the sole on the boot seems to be the same as from the TDK suit though... I've actually started on a boot model, should of been done by now but severely over run...

Attachments

• boot start.jpg
    boot start.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

teragon

I just talked to a local screen printing guy in Los Angeles. He's doesn't usually do speciality inks. But he's willing to look at our project to see if he can do it, and for how much. I haven't yet sent him any photos or your design yet. The good thing is, he doesn't have an order minimum. He says that he can use AI, PDF, or EPS files, so I think your .ai file will be just fine for at least this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent, keep us informed of what he proposes. It's good that it's local, you can work with him closely that way. Basically, I think we're looking at high density inks and gel inks mostly.

If all goes well I will soon have a pull of my cape based on the tech manual pattern to show/sell.

the sole on the boot seems to be the same as from the TDK suit though... I've actually started on a boot model, should of been done by now but severely over run...
silkscreener
I know your DOJ Batman boot sole design isn't complete, but the heel of the sole should be jagged. If it's done and accurate, I would love to buy a 3D print of your sole.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back