Team Fortress 2 Heavy Costume (complete)

coryalex

I figured a separate thread for the costume was appropriate, seeing how the forums are broken up between props and costumes.
I know I've already had some bleed-over of my costume into my Minigun build thread, but here's everything as a complete costume.

The major parts of my Heavy costume build include:
- Red team shirt (with proper logos... made 3, so I can wear a clean one daily at con)
- Heavy, semi-rigid vest
- Dark cargo pants
- Black belt w/ hip pouch
- Combat boots
- Leather gloves (fingerless)
- Bandolier of oversize bullets
- Minigun
- Tough Guy Toque (TF2 version of Jayne Cobb's hat)
- Possibly some other decoration or small props

First, here are links for the props I completed prior to this costume thread...

My Minigun build can be found here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/team-fortress-2-heavy-minigun-build-3d-printed-image-heavy-206292/

My Dolokahs Bar build can be found here:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/team-fortress-2-heavy-dolokahs-bar-3d-printed-prop-chocolate-bar-206846/

The red shirts were standard Fruit of the Loom ringer shirts, but I could only find ones I liked from an eBay seller in the UK.
I first tucked the sleeve rings inside and hemmed them, as only the neck ring is visible on the Heavy.
The logos were prepared by creating a stamp using my 3D printer, then stamping the logo using yellow silk screen ink (Speedball brand).

The semi-rigid vest I chose is a basic, black Carhartt vest.
I may see about painting the zipper black, now that I've seen it in photos.

The dark cargo pants are "Unionbay Men's Survivor IV Cargo Pant, Black Belt, 36x32" pants I purchased on Amazon.

The black belt and hip pouch (Rothco Black Utility Pouch) were purchased from Amazon.com, and are really basic.

Combat boots are jungle style (I live where it's hot, and my feet need to breathe), plus that style closely matches the proportions from the game.

Leather fingerless gloves were from Amazon.com "Raider Leather Fingerless Gloves (Pack of 2) (Black, Large)"... $10 for two pair, but the style was definitely the closest I could find.

The bandolier of bullets was built from scratch using 3/4" PVC for the bodies and 3D printed ends (top and bottom).
The actual bandolier was sewn from black vinyl fabric (fiber impregnated).
The portion under the most stress (area over my shoulder) is reinforced with two 1" wide nylon straps.
(I've also used thumb tacks inserted and glued into the backs of each shell to keep them from sliding in their slots)

The Tough Guy Toque was a commissioned hand-knit cap made by Etsy user "theheadsaid"... and serves two purposes. 1) It keeps me from wanting to shave my head and 2) It shows my Firefly love. :)

I also decided I wanted to adorn my costume with the "Grizzled Veteran" in-game cosmetic item, so I made one.
The base is 3D printed and the artwork was created in MS Publisher using the freely available TF2 fonts (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment, doing it that way).
The fist logo was cut into 5 pieces (main + 4 triangles) and applied to a piece of clear tape prior to being run through the laminator.
There's a basic "locking" pin affixed to the back.

Without further delay, here are some shots of the finished complete costume...

I've never really wished I was bigger than I am, but being a little beefier would certainly help pull off this costume... but I'm a huge fan of TF2 and I wanted to put together a costume (complete with props) that would really challenge my abilities.

I'll be wearing this for the first time at an event this June for Phoenix Comicon.
I'm hosting a panel with a friend on Friday covering the use of 3D printing in prop making.
I'll also be participating in the Masquerade on Saturday night.
If you find me, I'll be handing out these fun TF2 tokens (while supplies last). :)

Thanks again to the RPF community for the kind words and support during this build. This is really a great community of creative and inspiring individuals.

I placed 3rd in the Journeyman category of the Phoenix Comicon Masquerade (costume contest) this past weekend!
attachment.php

Photo by Lissa Carroll.

HERE'S A VIDEO!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great build! :D My husband did a Heavy costume for our local con last month, but we ran out of time to do the bandolier (he was finishing Sasha the day before the con, whoops!). I don't suppose you would consider selling the bullet pieces? He would really like to add that to his costume for our next con in August, and yours look amazing!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back