Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?

Is there anyone here who has an HD projector home theater who has watched the Blu-Ray releases on it? I noticed "A New Hope" is quite a bit more botched looking in the imagery than the other two films in the OT. Some pretty bad artifacting and due to some of the further post work done it looks as though things like skies, edging around characters against the brighter backgrounds and other bits really stand out as muddied up and ugly.

I have played a bunch of other films and I know it's not my projector. There are some pretty messy spots and wonder if that's from that "cleanup" work that was done with the film print.

One area that should be noted when it comes to these transfers is that they're using the same source that was made for the DVDs back in 2006. A source that were meant to be down converted to standard definition. The BluRays do not represent a new remastering from a print or negative. A lot of problems that were seen on the DVDs are still present on the BluRay.

I still remember some LucasFilm representative saying how the 'blue tint' was our fault for having our TVs tuned the incorrect way.

Bottom line - not single version of the OT released in almost 20 years has been up to par. Not SEs, not original cuts either. And it seems to be getting worse.

Man, I don't know. I'd like a cleaned up version of the OT without added scenes and whatnot, but in high def the mattes around TIEs and a million other tiny nitpicks will stand out like a sore thumb. A good color correction and cleaning up of the old school effects would really be the way to go in my opinion.

Man, I don't know. I'd like a cleaned up version of the OT without added scenes and whatnot, but in high def the mattes around TIEs and a million other tiny nitpicks will stand out like a sore thumb. A good color correction and cleaning up of the old school effects would really be the way to go in my opinion.

Kinda like when they removed the wires holding up the Spinner for Blade Runner: Final Cut?

I don't think anyone would mind that.

ACA0.jpg

I don't want the original effects messed with, they're fine. I appreciate good movies for what they are no matter when they were made, they are a product of their time and have historical significance. I watch so many films dating back to the 30s that Star Wars is not a problem effects-wise. Just clean up the dirt and scratches, even out the grain and color, and I'm good.

The matte boxes are the only other thing that needs adjusting. They didn't show up on theater screens. They only show on video, because of the super low contrast print stock used for video transfers. So I'd be okay with the boxes being cleaned up since they didn't show originally.

Like I said, based on this sentiment and others expressed in these pages trying to release a version of ANH that will satisfy everyone is a fools errand.

Sorry, going to disagree. When your audience actually wants multiple versions of your product it's not called a fools errand, it's called a gold mine.

Sorry, going to disagree. When your audience actually wants multiple versions of your product it's not called a fools errand, it's called a gold mine.
I can just see film fanatics 100 years from now searching madly for the "definitive" Special Edition version...whichever version that might be. :lol

I hate the extra Jabba scene for the same reason others have mentioned, repeated dialogue, slowing the film down, but if they had to include it couldn't they have just made Jabba a hologram, floating on projector, at least that way Han could have walked around the back without the stupid tail stand.

I can just see film fanatics 100 years from now searching madly for the "definitive" Special Edition version...whichever version that might be. :lol

Someone once said that the the definitive version of Star Wars will most likely be the one that's released before Lucas' death. After that, official tampering of the films will most likely cease.

... having said that, we could always end up in a "Touch of Evil" situation where he left notes for his friends at Disney to further change the movies. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Here is the thing, Lucas said it was always Greedo shooting first, and he didn't film it well enough the first time.

But if you watch star wars (a new hope if you must) every blaster shot that does not hit a person, blows a chunk out of the wall you could fit a bowling bowl into.

So if Greedo was supposed to shoot, and miss (from about four feet away), then where was the squib in the wall?

If the squib didn't go off, why didn't they just shoot the scene again?

Hell, why didn't they just do that when Lucas realised he hadn't got the shot he wanted?

Here is the thing, Lucas said it was always Greedo shooting first, and he didn't film it well enough the first time.

But if you watch star wars (a new hope if you must) every blaster shot that does not hit a person, blows a chunk out of the wall you could fit a bowling bowl into.

So if Greedo was supposed to shoot, and miss (from about four feet away), then where was the squib in the wall?

Hell, why didn't they just do that when Lucas realised he hadn't got the shot he wanted?

That's a great point you made about blasters doing damage to anything that gets shot. You see Greedo, a presumably 'organic' being practically explode from Han's blaster shot even though Greedo's shot doesn't even make a scratch on the wall. When Han shoots back at the Stormtroopers in docking bay 94, all sorts of things crumble and explode. And you might be wondering that maybe this is just how Han's blaster works. Well, the stormtrooper blaster certainly has some kick to it as well. When Han, Luke and Chewie storm the detention area, they're blowing up set props left and right, not to mention Leia blowing a huge hole in a metal grate with one shot.

Sure, not everything is consistent when it comes to film. What makes an "inconsistent" case for Greedo shooting first weak is that they built Greedo to EXPLODE. You can't really say this blaster can do this much damage while the other blaster can't do anything at all, otherwise you'll wind up with audiences believing that even if Greedo didn't miss it would have barely grazed Han. It's like having one opponent's lightsaber burn through anything it comes into contact with while the other opponent's lightsaber acts like a poster tube in the same scene with no reason given.

I don't want the original effects messed with, they're fine. I appreciate good movies for what they are no matter when they were made, they are a product of their time and have historical significance. I watch so many films dating back to the 30s that Star Wars is not a problem effects-wise. Just clean up the dirt and scratches, even out the grain and color, and I'm good.

The matte boxes are the only other thing that needs adjusting. They didn't show up on theater screens. They only show on video, because of the super low contrast print stock used for video transfers. So I'd be okay with the boxes being cleaned up since they didn't show originally.

I can see arguments going either way. I mean, let's not forget that the matte boxes appeared on the original theatrical run, and nobody cared. And yeah, sometimes the strings show, but again, who cares? The problem with going on a "clean up the effects" expedition is that there's plenty of temptation to not merely "clean up" but also IMPROVE the effects. Like, ok, we start by removing the matte boxes, but we end up with the ring-o-fire Death Star explosion. Where's it end, ya know?

That said, if ALL that was done was literally things like "erase the string and that's it" changes, I doubt you'd get much pushback even from film history buffs. Still, I think there's value in the "unvarnished" version that was released theatrically. It shows what was capable at the time and, when you compare it to other similar films, how much of a quantum leap forward it was.

I lol'ed. :lol

He has a point, though, IF you work from the perspective of "what we have now is good enough." It doesn't make sense to take on additional expense if you're only going to sell to a fraction of the market, however vocal that market may be. It only makes sense financially if you can sell the new product to a wide audience. DVD to Blu-Ray isn't much of a stretch. But Blu Ray to "looks better" Blu Ray is questionable...UNLESS you're somehow "future proofing" the film (or at least ensuring another 2-3 generations of releases by doing the improvements).

Everyone knows disc based media is on the wane, but what we don't know is where things go next. Streaming? A different media style? What will happen with displays? Will 4K displays become widely adopted? Part of what drove the blu-ray adoption was the national switchover to HD TV cable and over-the-air broadcasts. That was MANDATED by law, so people "had" to go out and buy a new TV. For just shy of a decade, TV makers could offer bigger and better and trust that there was still a market for it. But most people have switched over by now, which means they probably won't buy another new TV for at least 10 years. That means you have a lot less drive coming from the display market, which means you have a lot less need from the player market, since we're already at the maximum resolution for displays, which means that -- for the time being -- 1080P is THE standard.

So, right there, you have a question as to how much it's worth to rescan the films and release an "even better" version...particularly one that DOESN'T include the new f/x, or even one that doesn't sold alongside one that does.

Then you've got the Fox distro deal that lasts for another 6 years on Eps. V and VI, which adds more cost to the project. It's not like, say, a remaster of Big Trouble in Little China or something. The rights are complicated, the current scans are at the appropriate resolution....so you have to ask whether it's worth the expenditure. At the moment, yeah, probably not unless Disney has other calculations. It only makes sense if you're planning ahead.

I mean, I'm sorry, but that did not happen in the original versions. Greedo never got off a shot. I actually find it hard to believe that Lucas himself said Greedo DID shoot. I could believe him saying "I always WANTED him to shoot," but that's not the same thing. And yes, technical limitations might've been an issue, since you can't just have a huge explosion go off inches from one of you leads' heads.

But no, I don't think it was ever ACTUALLY shot like that, and I don't think Lucas has ever said "No, Greedo really did shoot. It happened."

I still say alderaan gets the ultimate screw job in the SW universe. Blown up with zero screen time for 28 years, only to get 15 seconds of flying through the forest in ROTS. You wanna make people feel the weight of billions of people dying, show the planet has people on it at some point :) Hell, swap Naboo for Alderaan in 1 and 2 and there you go.... :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back