Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?

Re: Rumored unaltered Star Wars on Blu-ray

I don't see Disney willing to pay what Fox is going to want for what is effectively a very niche product.

It's not like the amount of Star Wars blu ray copies in existence right now is all that will ever be made. They will make and sell more, especially with a new trilogy in production.

Perhaps Disney wants to abandon the special editions and go with the originals in future sets, because that is what they consider to be the definitive version. Maybe they equate those special editions with the same ill regard as ted turner's colorized movies, and they want to disassociate their newly acquired product with such bad taste.

You know they will want to release a 9 movie set packaged in an R2-D2 display.

Or maybe that's just what I want. lol

I actually think that people will be quite disappointed when they see those. Other than the things they added, the special editions cleaned up a lot of unnoticeable things. But when you look back, they were quite shoddy.

Also, does this mean we will no longer get the 20th century fox theme at the beginning? That's how star wars starts!

There really is no strong economic motivation for Disney to pay Fox what would because sizeable amount of money just to release a version of these films a relatively small percentage of the DVD buying public want. There are already so many versions of this film in circulation. They will more likely focus on the future Disney branded media releases they are making now as opposed to revisiting this issue.

Yes, but that said, you have people at the top of LucasFilm who are passionate about Star Wars. To those people, it's not just a dollars and cents thing. Look at how Disney handles the Marvel or Pixar film properties - for all the crap they pumped for that bleak period between Lion King and Tangled, they've seem to have righted the ship somewhat and gone back to letting people passionate about the projects run their big tentpole films. It's Disney. They'll always be about profit. But if the people who are making you BILLIONS want you to spend a few million for something they're passionate about, they seem to be willing to do it.

There really is no strong economic motivation for Disney to pay Fox what would because sizeable amount of money just to release a version of these films a relatively small percentage of the DVD buying public want.

So what you're saying is that negotiating is a concept that doesn't exist and people who collect movies don't collect movies.

I don't see Disney willing to pay what Fox is going to want for what is effectively a very niche product.

Because tangible home video products are a dying breed that have been on a steep decline all over the world?

Frozen Home Video Tops Evangelion, Spirited Away's All-Time Records With 1.5 Million in Japan

I'm taking this with a grain of salt until we hear something official, but this would certainly be fantastic news!

Hope the site below will continue coverage of this. It's a great resource for anything concerning the present status of the Original Trilogy.

http://www.savestarwars.com/

Besides the value of the "unaltered" (whe should discuss which one is the "unaltered" one: Star Wars with or without Episode IV: A NEW HOPE, etc) trilogy, I think that the recomposition of the special effects is a must. Just see what they did with the Rancor scene in Jedi; now you believe Luke and the beast are sharing the same scene!

Digression: Rancor sequence is lame regardless of effects.

When I had ROTJ on VHS I made a superb fan edit by treating it with an industrial electromagnet.

Finally they can add MORE Jar Jar binks.... ;)

jarjar.jpg

So what you're saying is that negotiating is a concept that doesn't exist and people who collect movies don't collect movies.

Because tangible home video products are a dying breed that have been on a steep decline all over the world?

Frozen Home Video Tops Evangelion, Spirited Away's All-Time Records With 1.5 Million in Japan

no, that's not what I am suggesting at all. Leaving aside the longevity of physical media sales, the number of potential consumers for these is limited and the cost to Disney might be prohibitively high.

I don't see copies of Star Wars wasting away in $5 bargain bins. Someone is buying all those different versions that have been released so far.

I know in the end it's all about money, but maybe, just maybe, as I mentioned above, somebody at Disney just wants to disassociate themselves from the special editions. I don't think the current amount of Star Wars blu rays is all that will ever exist. More will be made. A new boxed set with 7-9 will be made, and perhaps Disney doesn't want the special editions to be what they release when the time comes.

JJ seems to be going old school with practical effects. Maybe Disney actually cares about righting the wrongs and returning the Star Wars franchise to the top of the list in the hearts of fans. I don't think a release of the unaltered original trilogy would be a huge waste of money. Just chalk it up to marketing. Get the die hard fans singing your praises and others will take note. I think it would be beneficial for everyone.

The SE's didn't change OT canon in any way, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Sure they did. Greedo fired first, Boba's Kiwi accent, Darth Vader's "Nooooo!", Rontos, the Emperor's new dialogue, addition of "Jedi Rocks" musical number, Anakin's "youthful" ghost, etc. etc.

There really is no strong economic motivation for Disney to pay Fox what would because sizeable amount of money just to release a version of these films a relatively small percentage of the DVD buying public want. There are already so many versions of this film in circulation. They will more likely focus on the future Disney branded media releases they are making now as opposed to revisiting this issue.

I think you'd be surprised how many MOVIE fans.....not just Star Wars fans are waiting for the original versions of the films

The current & only HD version of the films available got so much bad press that even non-Star Wars fans know they are poor transfers with comical additions

The BD's may have sold well but I'd say buyers felt they had to buy them......because.......well.....its Star Wars in HD!

A re-release before Ep7 hits the big screen of the OUT in Blu-Ray would benefit Fox & Disney very nicely

J

Han didn't step on Jabba's tail because Jabba wasn't in Mos Eisley.
Sure they did. Greedo fired first, Boba's Kiwi accent, Darth Vader's "Nooooo!", Rontos, the Emperor's new dialogue, addition of "Jedi Rocks" musical number, Anakin's "youthful" ghost, etc. etc.

None of which had any effect whatsoever on the story itself. It's one thing to not like those changes for one reason or another, that's a matter of preference and that's fine, but to say it changes canon is an extreme over-exaggeration. You can make an argument for Temuera Morrison's re-dubbing of Boba Fett's lines, but since his backstory makes no difference to the plot of the OT, it really doesn't matter.

In the legendary "Boycott Star Wars Blu Ray" thread we had here a while back, there were many members who seemed convinced that Disney would do this shortly after the purchase. I never agreed with them. Now it seems I'm wrong, at least so far.

I like this for two reasons:

1) Disney has no personal bias towards Star Wars, so they'll be inclined to restore the original properly, not "as they see it".

2) Disney is VERY good with the technical things when it comes to transfers, restorations and digital movies. Take a look at something like the Mary Poppins BD and tell me it isn't perfect, compared to the laughable hack-job ILM did (seriously, the sand dune scene in ANH is distractingly amateurish. It looks like someone used Photoshop's sharpening tool on it to make it "HD"). If we got Disney's full treatment on these movies, the end product would be breathtaking.

However, point no. 1 brings about a related con:

1a) Since they have no personal investment in the source material, and therefore, one could argue no respect for it, I fear that they'll just cobble together a "despecialized" edition from the existing Blu-Rays that is merely "good enough" to get their old fans back, and merely market it to folks who don't REALLY know the difference.
Likely? Perhaps not. But I feel it is a valid concern...the mouse has been a cheap heartless ******* in the past
My cynicism is showing

You guys are whistling past the graveyard. It's not a question of what kind of stewards Disney is going to be for the LucasFilm archival films, it's the fact they DO NOT HAVE the right to distribute A New Hope. Fox might be willing to strike a distribution deal, but I would not be exceedingly optimistic about that. Less likely is Disney, a publicly owned company responsible to it' shareholders, will pay what Fox would demand for those rights just to satisfy I relatively small market of home video buyers who happen to be very vocal.

You guys are whistling past the graveyard. It's not a question of what kind of stewards Disney is going to be for the LucasFilm archival films, it's the fact they DO NOT HAVE the right to distribute A New Hope. Fox might be willing to strike a distribution deal, but I would not be exceedingly optimistic about that. Less likely is Disney, a publicly owned company responsible to it' shareholders, will pay what Fox would demand for those rights just to satisfy I relatively small market of home video buyers who happen to be very vocal.
.....but then again you could be very wrong

J

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back