Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?

As much of the franchises Disney has bought up lately, I think it could come down to something like trading baseball cards. I'll give you Fantastic Four and Xmen if you give me Star Wars, or something to that affect.

-Eric

I certainly would love a restoration of the original, although i would like to see some of the effects upgraded. I think the "upgrades" done to the special editions looked like crap compared to some of the original model effects. Its one of those things thats more of a pipe dream. If "you" could create an ultimate version, would it be a cleaned up proper version of the theatrical release, would you alter any effects, would you add anything?

Last edited:
New Star Wars Rumors Include RetConning Aplenty And Blu-Ray Of Unaltered Original Trilogy - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

According to an interesting e-mail we’ve intercepted, and which purports to come from within Disney’s marketing department, the studio are planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on DVD/Blu-Ray/On Demand in their original form, without all the things George Lucas changed for the “Special Edition” releases back in 2004.

New Star Wars Rumors Include RetConning Aplenty And Blu-Ray Of Unaltered Original Trilogy - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

According to an interesting e-mail we’ve intercepted, and which purports to come from within Disney’s marketing department, the studio are planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on DVD/Blu-Ray/On Demand in their original form, without all the things George Lucas changed for the “Special Edition” releases back in 2004.
That looked like a MySpace page. The only thing missing was a sparkly background and a sound track. Besides, the email that I intercepted said that as part of the sale George was given most of the material needed to re-edit an original print.

So they will be the 1997 special editions then?

Of course they will. No brainer.

Disney is a super corp. They're not a million dollar mom and pop that hit it big, they are a multi billionaire conglomerate controlling dozens of subsidiaries that by themselves are billion dollar companies.

In short: total amount of sentimental attachment the company has to George Lucas' vision of what any movie should be: An amount of give a rats butt so small that it cannot be measured using any known technology.

Will it sell more than it costs to do? Yes? Done deal. The one and only holdup is deciding when and how to do it to maximize profits. Bet on either coinciding with release of new movies, or release of new movies on DVD.

If they re release the SE from 97 on blu ray it will be a total disaster... Cause all the superfans will feel lied to by the "unaltered" statements...

Surely someone close to the powers that be at the big mouse house realizes that what is in demand here are the unaltered versions of what was released in 77, 80, and 83 respectively.

Surely your info is wrong...

Of course they will. No brainer.

Disney is a super corp. They're not a million dollar mom and pop that hit it big, they are a multi billionaire conglomerate controlling dozens of subsidiaries that by themselves are billion dollar companies.

In short: total amount of sentimental attachment the company has to George Lucas' vision of what any movie should be: An amount of give a rats butt so small that it cannot be measured using any known technology.

Will it sell more than it costs to do? Yes? Done deal. The one and only holdup is deciding when and how to do it to maximize profits. Bet on either coinciding with release of new movies, or release of new movies on DVD.

I think he was answering the original question not the 97" edition question above his post. I can't see them trying to release anything other than the unaltered versions and am pretty positive they will. Everything they've done so far is pointing towards getting Star Wars back to the way it used to be.

Ben

I think he was answering the original question not the 97" edition question above his post. I can't see them trying to release anything other than the unaltered versions and am pretty positive they will. Everything they've done so far is pointing towards getting Star Wars back to the way it used to be.

Ben

this. Was addressing the OP. Releasing special editions again seems pointless.

That's my fault for not being clear.

Last edited:
The other thing to consider is their whole "vault" mentality. They only release movies every 5-10 years or so and make a big deal about it. I guess to keep them out of discount bins and so they can charge a premium when they do release them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always said they should make a "Make-your-own perfect trilogy" set utilizing seamless branching technology of Blu-Ray where you can pick what scenes and shots to keep and what ones to leave out. The data would be saved per your spec and then the movie will always play out the one you enjoy the most.

Like maybe an unaltered cut, but with the newly remastered sound and only matte-corrected effects elements. Or ESB with only the enhanced Cloud City windows fx shots included.

I know it would be an insanely huge undertaking, but that would be pretty awesome if you could pick and choose...

Re: Rumored unaltered Star Wars on Blu-ray

Disney really can't miss this opportunity

I'd love to have the original versions of the films,....to me they don't need any SE treatment

J

Re: Rumored unaltered Star Wars on Blu-ray

Our sources indicate that the project has been under way for quite some time, but it’s been challenging because of some damage to the original negatives they are utilizing.

Damage to the original negatives? Hmm...

LucasFilm PR said:
As you may know, an enormous amount of effort was put into digitally restoring the negatives for the Special Editions. In one scene alone, nearly 1 million pieces of dirt had to be removed, and the Special Editions were created through a frame-by-frame digital restoration. The negatives of the movies were permanently altered for the creation of the Special Editions, and existing prints of the first versions are in poor condition.

Sounds legit.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back