Stockholm Comic Con 2014

The event is an extension of the annual "Gamex" video game convention. It is set during the same autumn school vacation as previous years' Gamex.
It is done together with the company behind the Comic Cons in the UK.

I'll be there (I think). The idea was to do a major GotG event thing, but there's no way I'll be done in time. Might bring my Judge suit or Ghostbusters gear though.

I'm a tad skeptical of the con though. There has been VERY little information- and as far as I know NO "program" of events, panels or anything. My fear is that it is "Comic Con" in name only to try and attract more people, without having anything else to do with the "real" CCs that take place in the US. They've released the tickets (1,2 and 4-day) and are touting people to buy them... more or less sight unseen.

Without "bragging", it stands to reason that I've got one of Sweden's largest prop/replica collections. (The hobby isn't that big here.) So, I e-mailed the organizers in August and asked if they would have any interest in me, for purely non-profit reasons, setting up a space and displaying them. (My thinking was that cool 1:1 scifi stuff is one of the draws of attending a "proper" con.) To date, I've not received an answer.

They've made some noise about having a big cosplay competition... but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a bunch of kids in cheap store-bought Halloween costumes or something, aside from the usual group of 501st members that usually shows up at cons here.

I hope I'm wrong, 'cause we really need a "proper" con or two here, but I don't know...

I'll be there (I think). The idea was to do a major GotG event thing, but there's no way I'll be done in time. Might bring my Judge suit or Ghostbusters gear though.

I'm a tad skeptical of the con though. There has been VERY little information- and as far as I know NO "program" of events, panels or anything. My fear is that it is "Comic Con" in name only to try and attract more people, without having anything else to do with the "real" CCs that take place in the US. They've released the tickets (1,2 and 4-day) and are touting people to buy them... more or less sight unseen.

Without "bragging", it stands to reason that I've got one of Sweden's largest prop/replica collections. (The hobby isn't that big here.) So, I e-mailed the organizers in August and asked if they would have any interest in me, for purely non-profit reasons, setting up a space and displaying them. (My thinking was that cool 1:1 scifi stuff is one of the draws of attending a "proper" con.) To date, I've not received an answer.

They've made some noise about having a big cosplay competition... but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a bunch of kids in cheap store-bought Halloween costumes or something, aside from the usual group of 501st members that usually shows up at cons here.

I hope I'm wrong, 'cause we really need a "proper" con or two here, but I don't know...

Same here, haven't seen or heard jack. So I am not going to bother.

There are several guests and events posted under "Aktuellt" on the web site and on their Facebook page.
You would expect those info items under their own headings on the official web site, with a proper schedule and some info about if there is a hall or stage for panels .. but apparently not. The web site/info team should be ashamed of their shoddy work.

The organizers want to keep this event mainly as a Gamex to test the waters and go bigger and turn up the "Comic Con" level next year if this event goes well. (source: Swedish Star War pod-cast RebellRadion who interviewed a guy from MCM at the press conference in April).
I've lately heard a rumour that MCM (the British "Comic Con" guys) would have been a bit dissatisfied with Artexis (the Swedish Gamex guys) about some things, probably on this issue.

I'm not that pessimistic. The Gamex'es has a somewhat different, younger crowd than for instance the SSGFCs and I think that people in Sweden are getting more aware of and interested in cosplay.

And yes, the 501st/Rebel Legion and the R2 Builders Club are going to have booths this time. Members have only attended on their own in previous years.

Last edited:
Wow, actually something I'd be interested in: Under the Dome Q&A. But I'm not going to go just for that, so that is a no for me.

I'm most likely going to help with the Ghostbusters 30th anniversary celebration, so as it looks right now I'll be there on Thursday and Saturday at least. Maybe Sunday too, kitted in Judge outfit.

The Schedule was posted last week, apparently.

Anyone else going?
I'll be in the 501'st Legion's info booth 12-13 on Thur and Fri.

Well in the netherlands comic con was announced also. Our theRPF booth even was invited to have a stand over there. We had some back and forth contact. Wierd they won't contact you back. Escpecially since it's a first time it's happening. I'd figure they would need some stands to fill the void.

It starts tomorrow! :) 90% of the exhibit hall is still video game companies. Some indy movies, comic books and so in smaller booths... but most of those are dwarfed by the smallest booth for any single video game. Some sellers of movie-swag also (that had started to unpack when I left today), but not as much as at a typical SSGFC.

BTW. There is a good hall plan inside the event, but not on the web site (...). The printed schedule is also better.

Last edited:
I didn't get the chance to meet any of you. I got a cold and was mostly home in bed on Sat and Sun. :( I visited only briefly on Sunday to pick up my gear.

It wasn't so bad, was it? A great many people had dressed up: the whole range from really cheap to very very good. Lots of animé characters that I know nothing about...
I'd rather see more ordinary people having fun in obviously cheap costumes than a few (semi-)professional cosplayers.

I was there for a couple hours on Sat. Not too bad but it was 90% games and very little film or television. Sure, they had the Batmobile replica (even WB themselves have said that it's one of the most accurate ones in the world) but the focus as still almost solely on games. No real prop displays, no prototypes of toys/kits/collectibles... no actors/actresses of note... nothing at all like that. Hopefully, a few of the big companies visited and will decide to participate next year.

The crowd, however, was very nice, so big thumbs-up there. I walked around in Ghostbusters gear and even the younger kids that wanted to take pictures were super-polite! (As opposed to the snot-nosed little brats you get running around suburb supermarkets throwing candy at each other...)

I was also pleasantly surprised to find a few more Ghost-heads in (fairly ambitious) costume. For a long time I felt like I was alone in Sweden with accurate kit. (To be honest, I probably have been until recently.) With any luck we'll see GBs turn up a little more regularly en-force as a complement to the otherwise heavy Star Wars presence.

Yeah, I got to know there are a guys in the 501st who also do Ghostbusters in-between Star Wars troops: a couple Swedes and a few Norwegians who do on visits to Swedish cons.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back