Homunculus,The Tooth Fairy from (Dont be afraid of the dark)

Leigh

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I watched this film last night & I loved the fairies. I've never done any figure sculpting so I thought I'd have a go :)
I'm attempting to make him full size & he's built out of oil clay on a wire frame.
I don't have a plan with this one so it'll be a case of see where it goes. I'm just kind of throwing it together to see if I can, while I cant progress with Bob I'm keeping myself busy :)
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

What do you think? :)

Last edited:
Re: Homunculus (Dont be afraid of the dark)

Yes! Love these little guys! Three Kings Resin have done a very nice lifesize model kit of 3 of these little guys with a base (Don't Be Afraid...), but I only want one and don't want a base, so if you do this as a kit I'd be very interested.

I like the stance, interested to see what expression you go for. :thumbsup

That's awesome, super creepy. You should have him holding some teeth.

Yes! Love these little guys! Three Kings Resin have done a very nice lifesize model kit of 3 of these little guys with a base (Don't Be Afraid...), but I only want one and don't want a base, so if you do this as a kit I'd be very interested.

I like the stance, interested to see what expression you go for. :thumbsup

I spent a good hour & a half searching the net for reference & found nothing for these other than a few screen caps & a short vid on the CG work. I'm using the vid for reference but I couldn't find anything on these being made by anybody? Its interesting to see the Three Kings kit.
For size, I read that they're anywhere between 6.5" & 10" high, this one is 7 1/4" high at the top of his back.
If this one turns out OK I might have to make a few more, I quite like the idea of having a few of these randomly displayed round the house in the corners n stuff :)

That's awesome, super creepy. You should have him holding some teeth.

I have considered having him holding something but I don't want to make this any more complicated than I have to for now, we'll see where this goes :)

Did a little bit more today :)
07.JPG

09.JPG

:)

Last edited:

I think it says something about that I find this little guy cute as hell.

I spent a good hour & a half searching the net for reference & found nothing for these other than a few screen caps & a short vid on the CG work. I'm using the vid for reference but I couldn't find anything on these being made by anybody? Its interesting to see the Three Kings kit.
For size, I read that they're anywhere between 6.5" & 10" high, this one is 7 1/4" high at the top of his back.
If this one turns out OK I might have to make a few more, I quite like the idea of having a few of these randomly displayed round the house in the corners n stuff :)

And my Google-fu has turned up this which might help

Monster Legacy-Tag: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Thanks for the link Koipond, that's very useful :thumbsup

I've had a little play with the face, still lots to do :)

14.JPG

Last edited:

He's like that world's angriest bald monkey and I want to pet him and love him and sit on him like a mother hen.

Todays update :)
I've been texturing, adding wrinkles n stuff:
22.jpg

In person it looks OK but in this pic the texture looks far too heavy, I'm not sure how to tone it down any more :unsure or if I'm even capable of such delicate detail?
I've textured the whole body, just his arms & legs to do. I cant help wondering if a couple of coats of paint will clean it up a bit??

Last edited:

Good JOB :thumbsup and for the first time sculpting its perfect, i love it.

It only matters about the texture if it's meant to be used as a photographic prop. If you are pleased with the in-person look then it's fine. In addition, you have to take into account the thickness of paint. The deeper texture will hold on to the paint from washes rather well.

Good JOB :thumbsup and for the first time sculpting its perfect, i love it.

Its not my first sculpt though, Its my first small figure sculpt. I've done one before but its big! its Bob, here: http://www.therpf.com/f62/bob-alien...lpting-finished-page-45-a-121902/index45.html This didn't need quite the same attention to the fine details as in most cases the details I added to Bob weren't there in the first place, I was kind of winging it :)

It only matters about the texture if it's meant to be used as a photographic prop. If you are pleased with the in-person look then it's fine. In addition, you have to take into account the thickness of paint. The deeper texture will hold on to the paint from washes rather well.

OK thanks, that makes good sense :)
I have been making very subtle changes to his face & I think I may have managed to tone down the detail just a touch, I'm happier with what I can see :) I'm finding that the more I work on it the more used to working with the small size I'm getting :)

23.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

I think I'm doing something wrong? He doesn't have that demonic "I'm going to eat you" face, its more of a "ooh look a pretty flower" face :confused

Maybe if I make his pupils smaller :unsure

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back