Homunculus,The Tooth Fairy from (Dont be afraid of the dark)

You might want to give some thought to this little guy's future home. If he is to be displayed loving and alone on a plinth like a museum piece, keep on with your bad self. On the other hand, if space is at a premium then displaying this little piece of art in a more 'naturalistic' setting might be a better option. Placed on a bookshelf, between some books, peeking around some Blu-Rays, displayed in some way that echoes the creature's actions in the movie. If you choose this option then you might want to think about posing the outstretched hand to let him 'interact' with his environment, curling around the edge of a DVD case or pushing against a book cover.

I'm gonna have to keep on with my bad self on this one but I really like the idea :thumbsup I'd thought about making a couple more, I could apply your excellent suggestion to them :)
Thanks for that :)

I'm not far off of finishing this little guy & I'm thinking about moulding.... Obviously he wont take much material to mould & as mentioned I think I'll make a one off initial mould.
With the initial mould I should be able to get one good resin cast, from there I figured I can modify the cast into a small set of kit parts & then make new moulds for those parts.

I'm wondering if I should cast the main body with a hard urethane core & a thick urethane rubber skin so that it can be hair punched??

What's peoples thoughts on this?

What would you use to paint the urethane skin? Can it be painted with acrylics like any other resin kit?

Hair punching would look cool, but I think that a resin body would be better as it would allow for more conventional paints to be used (I can paint resin easily, but wouldn't know what to use to paint a rubber skin, and things like thinned enamel washes could not be used I'm guessing. Also not sure about life expectance of urethane rubber compared to resin. Quite happy gluing hair rather than punching it too.

This is fantastic! I going to watch it this weekend if I can find it. Really nice work man. You did a stunning job on the fingers too.

Any more progress on this?

I found even more reference pics. If you do decided to do another, in a different pose, then these may help.

flm1009_1007.png

flm1009_1004.png

flm1009_1001.png

Thanks for thinking of me :)
I'm up to my eyeball's at the moment, I haven't had a chance to do anything to him in the last couple of weeks.

I've been restoring an XK120 body, fixing our own car & tiling a bathroom amongst other things, everybody wants me at the same time!!
It should all be coming to an end soon & I should be able to get back on it :)

Thanks for thinking of me :) I'm up to my eyeball's at the moment, I haven't had a chance to do anything to him in the last couple of weeks.I've been restoring an XK120 body, fixing our own car & tiling a bathroom amongst other things, everybody wants me at the same time!! It should all be coming to an end soon & I should be able to get back on it :)

It takes patience, I broke the engine of the car and I have to buy a new one. The credit is reduced and projects can proceed, but with more attention to costs and probably longer.

Last edited:
The DVD special feature on the creatures (on 3 minutes long?!) mentioned that there were 8 distinct looks to the creatures, so it's cool to see the different heads in the pic I found. And something else I didn't realise until I read the names under the head pictures - the last (most human) one is called Blackwood - so I'm assuming that he was turned into one of these guys and that's him!

Sorry guy's everything's been on hold for a while now :( We've had some Family things to sort out as well as everything else & I just haven't had the time really to even think about this & Bob but there is a light at the end of the tunnel :)

Thanks for thinking of me though :)

I love it man it fantastic. Kind of vile and beautiful all at once. I haven't watched this film for a while. I think the open mouth is a great improvement on that demonic look.

Just showed this film to my wide this week (she's a big Del Toro fan, but hasn't seen all his films) and she really liked it. Makes me wish I had an evil little fairy to sit on the bookshelf...

I haven't done a thing to him for a while now :( I've been unable to find the time or money to spend on him or Bob lately. I didn't want to say but we've had a death in the family recently & there's lots of sorting out to do, its put pretty much everything else on hold.
I will be making a mould for him when he's finished :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back