Homunculus,The Tooth Fairy from (Dont be afraid of the dark)

Re: Homunculus (Dont be afraid of the dark)

You're too good! You could make Alien,with the same size of this sculpture?

Now there's a thought & thanks :)
I'd like to gat back on to Alien stuff... soon hopefully :)

I spent some time this morning on one of his hands, its come out great! but I cant get a focused picture of it :rolleyes I found it a very tricky part to sculpt for a few reasons: its small, its unsupported & the type of clay I'm using doesn't help. I should have made this with sculpy... hindsight eh :facepalm I'm enjoying myself though & I'm honing my skills at the same time, its all a learning curve :)
I'll get some pic's up when I can but I'm going to have to leave this for a few days now, other things need my attention :(

This is looking great Leigh!

You were saying you wanted to take the detail down a notch on it though. I've heard that if you brush on some white spirits it should help blend the details and smooth them out a bit.

I've not tried it myself so i'd test it first though.

Pete

This is looking great Leigh!

You were saying you wanted to take the detail down a notch on it though. I've heard that if you brush on some white spirits it should help blend the details and smooth them out a bit.

I've not tried it myself so i'd test it first though.

Pete

I've been using lighter fluid on this one to smooth out the tool marks, it evaporates quicker than white spirit. The problem with using a spirit or fluid to tone down detail on this one is that the clay I'm using is already quite soft & it'll just turn all the detail to mush, It also leaves crumbs on the surface.
I've made myself a rubber tipped tool out of an old eyeliner brush & some silicone putty, using that & a soft brush loaded with talc is all I can think of.

I got some pic's of the hands :) I took Durrett's suggestion & put a tooth in his left hand, all made of the same clay. The hands are so delicate, it'll be a real mission moulding this!
I guess I'll have to make a brush on sacrificial silicone mould for a 1 off resin cast, I'll tackle that when I get there.

I've also reshaped his chin, cheeks, pushed his eye's back in their sockets & made him frown a bit more, he looks a little angry now rather than surprised though I might have to do a little more to his brows :)
30.jpg

29.jpg

28.jpg

32.jpg

31.jpg

:)

Last edited:

I agree, the expression is better, though it was so good before I wasn't really bothered. Great work!

Thanks for the kind words :)
I'd have to go & buy sculpey, I'm just using what I've got here. If I'd put a bit more thought into this I'd have made the whole thing from Sculpey, would have been much easier :)

A little update: I felt his expression just wasn't interesting enough for a figure sculpt so I've gone & changed his face, I'll adjust his arms & maybe his waist to compliment his new expression:
33.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

Last edited:
I have not seen the movie, only a few pictures on the internet. These monsters look very malignant and aggressive. I think it would be very scary in the dark face to face with one of them. :(

Dont-Be-Afraid-of-the-Dark-Monster.jpg

Great!:thumbsup

Thanks for the great feedback guy's :)

You know how I like to change things.....
36.JPG

37.JPG

After changing the face I felt I needed to change a few other bits & one thing lead to another :)
I repositioned his arms which meant I had to re-sculpt his shoulders, neck & some of his upper body. Then there was his legs which didn't really go well with the new arms, so they've received an overhaul. His left hand I've salvaged, his right hand is going to be completely new & I've added the baggy throat & bingo wings to his upper arms. I've also extended some of his wire frame in a couple of places to get the proportions a little bit better.

I'm really liking the new face & the pose but every time I look at his face it reminds me of Eddie from Iron Maiden & right now he has a miniature endo arm :lol

I've got a little shaping up to do on his back, I can then move on with the finer shapes & creases etc.

Last edited:
Like it a lot. I think I prefer his eyes larger/more visible like in your last resculpted face post though. Unless his hand is up to block out light from a torch that some unsuspecting kid has shined on him and his eye muscles are contracting to compensate for the sudden bright light....

Like it a lot. I think I prefer his eyes larger/more visible like in your last resculpted face post though. Unless his hand is up to block out light from a torch that some unsuspecting kid has shined on him and his eye muscles are contracting to compensate for the sudden bright light....

Yep that's the idea with this pose, I could make his eyes bigger though it'll still work :)

Been adding some wrinkles & folds. Got the hand sorted (that was difficult!!), still got the legs to do & more wrinkles to add here n there :)
38.JPG

39.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

Let me know if I'm missing something or there's an area I'm getting completely the wrong shape or muscle structure wise or anywhere I'm showing obvious signs that I don't really know what I'm doing :)

Last edited:
Liking it a lot! The new hand/arm looks a bit weird in your first photo, but looks fine in all of the other pics. Must just be the angle and lighting in the 1st one.

You might want to give some thought to this little guy's future home. If he is to be displayed loving and alone on a plinth like a museum piece, keep on with your bad self. On the other hand, if space is at a premium then displaying this little piece of art in a more 'naturalistic' setting might be a better option. Placed on a bookshelf, between some books, peeking around some Blu-Rays, displayed in some way that echoes the creature's actions in the movie. If you choose this option then you might want to think about posing the outstretched hand to let him 'interact' with his environment, curling around the edge of a DVD case or pushing against a book cover.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back