Elysium Max Exoskeleton

Your Freud phrase mimics exactly what I thought about creation/design of objects/props/art in general. :cool It's always a learning curve and the things you discover about yourself in the process is more valuable than any money in the world. You certainly got my attention with this build and I have to praise your patience and your skills to have arrived at that level of intensity and details!

Thanks everyone, appreciate it! Pistons are done, waiting for O-rings to come in. Then they are off to get powdercoated and anodized. Also waiting for metal casting stuff to come in, more on that later.

Meanwhile... Vibroknuckles! They bring a katana to a melee fight, you give'em this.

vibro03.png

vibro02.png

vibro01.png

vibro04.png

I looked for suitable motors to drive them, but going to defer functionality till later date. Going cosmetic as with the rest of the suit.

Man! The amount of work and details on this project are unbelievable:eek Keep up the effort and the great work; it's going to pay at the end for sure:cool

Doing piston pre-assembly this week. I came up with something that should work with the help of an engineer here at the hackerspace. Two 16mm grooves on 18mm shaft (1mm deep cut on a lathe with an equilateral triangle cutter), slip O-rings in both, add a bit of oil, and push inside the piston body. One cable to restrict max. extent, fixed by hex nuts on both ends:

piston-assembly.png

13mm I.D. O-rings, 16mm O.D., 1.5mm wide. Got these from Ace, bulk ordering from Amazon who stock larger quantities (although with 2 week lead time).

orings.png

This makes it so the shaft is not too lose and not too tight, motion is smooth, and shaft doesn't easily go off-center. In addition it reduces the noise from shaft hitting the inside of the body when running so you don't jingle like a Christmas tree. The metal cable is springy but doesn't allow going past max. extent, which actually makes the pistons feel like they are real, with hydraulic fluid inside. The same engineer suggested experimenting with drilling holes in the cap to get the holy grail whistling noise like when C-3PO moves :)

Had to order more alum stock and more bearings for the second exosuit:

IMG_3036.png

igus.png

After the two Elysium exosuits (although not directly after), going to be working on a custom exosuit concept with bigger bones (diamond tread-plate chestpiece) and similar pistons:

custom-exo.jpg

This is for my industrial band, where members will wear Slipknot-like leather masks with zippers (resembling various animals), and burlap eye-blinds through which a Matrix Sentinel-like sensor eye-array is poking through). All that in addition to the exoskeletons - should make a good show.

Also, since I'm taking it easy this weekend, I started pre-production on another one of my "next" projects, a Sci-Fi car conversion. It will have all-holographic instrument cluster/infotainment center, doors that open upwards, and an AI that you can ask questions that it will Google or Google-map for you and display on the holo screen. Optical combiner windshield with micro-structures to eliminate extra reflections from the projector, you get the picture.

shodan-p01.png

shodan-p02.png

shodan-p03.png

I acquired a used Ford Taurus to tear it apart and replace the body & insides. This will be just like that Ghostbusters Ecto-conversion thread, but to a custom concept.

Last edited:
Wow, quite the project with that car conversion. Eager to see that coming to life! As for the Exoskeleton, those pistons are getting better by the update! Are you planning on building the ChemRail gun?

First experiments in casting. I am grateful for another one of my friends here who suggested using Machinable Wax as the intermediate positive because it is harder and less likely to break or deform on de-mold. Next time I will mask all the thin areas, use less silicone for cost efficiency, use machinable wax from the get-go, and research vacuum de-gassing process to see if I can get a silicone mold with no surface bubbles. Overall though, I am starting to see why people here use this stuff so much. "Good" quality requires basically no effort and "Great" quality does not require a several orders of magnitude greater effort.

pos1.png

pos2.png

(Top to bottom: Original, Wax, Machinable Wax)

silicone.png

cast.png

Cooking machinable wax (above you see the wax go from white to brown to pinkish color as the plastic bags are dissolved):

http://www.instructables.com/id/Machinable-Wax/step2/Melting-Bags/

Got pistons back from powder coating and clear anodize, and it's a mixed bag as usual.

IMG_3065.png

Fig 1. Demonic shimmer

IMG_3066.png

The clear-coat anodize looks great on the shafts. I polished them to chrome-mirror finish and the anodize coat diffused it by 15%, which is pretty close to what you see in the movie. Also they no longer scratch when they fall on concrete, and break the light into rays like the other side of CDs.

IMG_3067.png

The powder destroyed all chamfer detail (hard edges) and overhangs over the bevels on either end. I will have to sand the end bevels off, mask everything but the ends, and spray that with black enamel. So much additional work when I thought I was done.

Getting past the middle of the 6 months of sanding/priming to remove laser sintering striations and get the plastic master ready for mold-making. Sitting at about 70 hrs/week since June, with 30/week on this project and the rest on my day job.

Some of the "done" parts (the rest are stored at the hackerspace):

parts.png
The video I promised to upload:

As usual, unforseen situations keep eating up time. The shoulder connector I designed and printed earlier has too much detail that's almost the same size as printing striations, so sanding would destroy important features. I split the part into two parts - one low detail that can be laser sintered for strenth and heavily polished, and high detail one that will be factory-polished using bead blast.

split.png

Expensive for such a small part (there are a couple of extra "back connectors" included in the order for spares), but if you are going to do something, why not do it right. I will toss the old one-piece parts unless someone wants them.

split-order.png

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ! How are you ? Iam from Turkmenistan, my name is Slawik. Iam need you help. Can you send 3d model exoskeleton to my email? Best regards, Slawik

Swalik, as a first time poster on this board, it's not good etiquette/protocol to ask a guitarpirate to send you his hard work, many hours of research/design and thousands of dollars with the push of a button. The right question should be: is it for sale? My thoughts?...probably not.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back