Elysium Max Exoskeleton

Finished prototyping pistons, additional adjustments pending when I get all the connectors in.

IMG_2869.png

IMG_2871.png

IMG_2872.png

IMG_2875.png

IMG_2876.png

IMG_2879.png

Last edited:
Time to kick things up a notch... bam! Me and my new lathe have some plans tonight.

omglathe.png

25mm and 18mm tube/bar stock ready to go.

stock.png

Let's spin us some pistons! Next up, getting silicone to make wax positives of all the parts, which are then put into plaster for investment casting out of Alum.

forge.png

Hey GP, haven't caught up with this project in a while you know rl sucks sometimes. I love everything you've done especially going from 2D prototyping to 3D. I also the printed parts are spectacular and detailed great work bro.

Sent from my LG-D321 using Tapatalk

Thank you :) I think my love for TechArt will show on the finished suit. Just did a post-mortem presentation a couple of days ago because I ordered the last two part batches and the project is nearing completion in regards to number of puzzles left to solve (not necessarily amount of busywork). Presentation outline is on my new site where I will eventually post this project: http://www.01binary.us.

First piston completed, but poorly. Going to keep re-doing until it's perfect, then order more alum stock and continue with the rest.

IMG_2896.png

IMG_2898.png

IMG_2900.png

That piston wasn't good:eek? With that amount of quality making the suit, it's going to be the bomb for sure:cool...as for the spacer mount, this looks like something coming from a motorcycle.

Thanks for continued encouragement! I spent today working precisely on the problem of tolerances. After hours of trial and error, I found that I can only be happy with an error I can't measure with the most precise instrument I have (< 0.01 mm):

tolerance.png

First I decided I can live with .1 mm tolerance, but after being able to see the difference from the distance of 2 meters, I decided the awareness of this will drive me insane.

So anyway, today was a low point in my beginning experience as a metal worker, but I will get more comfortable with the dials and it won't take me .5 hr per millimeter going forward :)

Received nearly last batch (forgot to order two small parts & some "custom" pieces that didn't appear in the movie).

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2982.png

IMG_2984.png

IMG_2985.png

IMG_2988.png

IMG_2990.png

IMG_2992.png

IMG_2993.png

IMG_2995.png

Got a cut-off tool and drill chuck for the lathe. Immediately broke everything (tool post went in the part) and rebuilt it with a help of a friend here at the hackerspace, going to spin some stuff today hopefully. Anyone attempting same... Drip-lubricate anything you cut on a lathe!

Thanks! First batch (3 back pairs) on track for Friday.

IMG_3008.png

Took a long time to get started as there was a lot of waste, including mangled pieces, off-center drills, drill bits broken and stuck in pieces, and other calamities.

It's the bomb!! Too much for me to actually process...You're certainly equipped to do the job and it shows. Keep up the great work!

This is starting to look amazing. As always with 3d builds the time spent developing the assets PAYS OFF. :thumbsup

Can't wait to put a set together myself!

Why your pics are so blurry? Oh yeah, that's because I have tears in my eyes! No words man, no words:cool:eek!!
Question: I've noticed that some of the attachments to the pistons (arm to forearm in particular) seems fragile (I'm thinking overall movement here). Did you test those in particular, or will they be made in an other type of material?

Hey, thanks! The only component receiving significant stress is the rotating shoulder connector, but all of the critical parts are made of Nylon-12 which has excellent elongation on break (easy to bend, resistant to fracture). The left shoulder connector has a very thin support mount for the pistons - I increased that to 4mm but only for the right shoulder connector, since I ran out of budget on re-printing parts with mistakes.

Unfortunately the project has just reached 16k (4x original est.), so I am no longer saving any money versus the production-made suit - however, the point was to learn new skills that would lead in to mechatronics/industrial design and give my art a challenging new direction that could become a niche.

There is also an interesting emotional growth side effect (see Sigmund Freud) that hard work has on the human brain - it causes movement further from Narcissism (excessive meaning given one's thoughts) and closer to scientific/realist viewpoint focused on directly effecting the world (syncronizing the internal model of the world with reality).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back