Bondo on inside of helmet - good idea or bad?

DarthStevenus

I did a search for this topic, but I think the search terms are too general to bring up anything useful, so if there's already a thred on this, sorry. But like the title says, is it a bad idea to put a thin layer of bondo on the inside of my mask/helmet? I'm worried about people being able to see the ugly fiberglassed inside when I turn or look at certain angles. Should I just spray paint it black like the outside, or can I get away with a thin coat of bondo?

I slush coat the inside of my helmets with rondo. If you're not familiar with rondo its fiberglass resin mixed with bondo in equal parts. Rondo is pretty much self leveling so it makes the inside smooth without the need for any kind of sanding.

You mix the bondo and resin you already have. Rondo isn't something you can buy, just something i believe people who pep came up with to make things a bit easier!

You should probably give your fibreglass a quick sand and wash before hand though, not necessary but I found it helped

I have a few other questions about the Bondo process, and I figured I'd ask them here instead of starting a new thread. First question, should I put Bondo on the edges of my cowl (eye holes, neck, etc)? And if so, should I even come around and put a bit on the inside of the cowl close to the edge? Second question, does anyone know if Krylon fusion will stick okay to a Bondo covered surface, or should I go out and buy new spray paint, since Krylon fusion is meant for plastic?

I have a few other questions about the Bondo process, and I figured I'd ask them here instead of starting a new thread. First question, should I put Bondo on the edges of my cowl (eye holes, neck, etc)? And if so, should I even come around and put a bit on the inside of the cowl close to the edge? Second question, does anyone know if Krylon fusion will stick okay to a Bondo covered surface, or should I go out and buy new spray paint, since Krylon fusion is meant for plastic?

Bondo is a body filler by design. On its own, I find it is best suited for sharpening edges/accents, or filling in voids (i.e. possible bubbles in a cast of a mold). So unless you think the areas in question need sharpening, I am unclear as to why you would want to use Bondo on them.

As for your spray paint, thought Krylon Fusion for Plastic may say plastic in the title, it is "for use on wood, metal, wicker, glass, plaster, ceramic, plastic, wrought iron, and hard vinyl." (As per Krylon's website)

Last edited:
Silly question about Rondo, but 1:1 by weight or volume? I'm assuming volume, but would like conformation.

I did mine by volume, worked very well.

Just mix the main parts of the two substances together before adding the reactive parts of each. Otherwise you might find it hardening before you get the mixture stirred together nicely.

Once its all ready you will find you can slush it around the helmet inside and it results in a smooth(ish) suface.

I have some holes in my cowl for the straps that hold the two pieces together. Should I... tape them up, or something? How long does it take for this stuff to dry/settle?

I did mine by volume, worked very well.

Just mix the main parts of the two substances together before adding the reactive parts of each. Otherwise you might find it hardening before you get the mixture stirred together nicely.

Once its all ready you will find you can slush it around the helmet inside and it results in a smooth(ish) suface.

I did the same when I went and did my Rondo-ing. Boy, once it hit that point that it started firming up, it sure as hell did. I expected a few more minutes out of it. I also made far too much and end up throwing away a third unused.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back