Now Completed! Buzz Lightyear Build

Re: Another Buzz Lightyear Build

The only thing that springs to mind (no pun intended) is spring loaded wings with 2 latches that can clip and lock the wings when pushed in, and be pulled to spring open the wings with something like a servo to pull the latches. I guess you could buy a Buzz Lightyear toy with spring loaded wings, figure out how it works and reverse engineer it to work for the full size wings. I'll try and find some references to help visualize some ideas.

I bought this purple scuba hood that looks like it will work perfect for the head
hood.jpg
But I want to try to make the head shape less human and more like Buzz.
So I mocked up this shape in card stock paper.
My thought is to recreate it in medium weight foam and then cover it in the scuba hood

balaclava shape.jpg

So that the head looks more like this
balaclava 3.jpg
Then with extra material from the neck
cover the shapes for the ear covers

balaclava 4.jpg

Last edited:

I'm liking the scuba hood idea for your head, I hope it works well for you. About the wing idea, I can't believe I didn't think of this before in my previous post, but I remembered the Assassin's Creed hidden blade prop made by McFarlane Toys which has a spring activated blade, activated by a push of a button and the blade can retract by pushing it back into place, locking it for the next time you press it. Here is a youtube video showing the prop. (He uses the mechanism around the 5:50 mark) Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Hidden Blade Unboxing - YouTube

I hope the idea helps for the wings. If I have enough spare time on my hands, I might try and mock up a functional mechanism.

A little update on the legs
to create an articulating knee joint so the legs stay together and in alignment when I walk.

I glued a plate of Sintra plastic to the left and right sides on the inside of the upper and lower legs.
This was to prevent tearing.

I then drilled a small hole through both pieces after aligning them together at the knee.
inserted a bolt, washer and nylon threaded lock nut

The end result works really well
legs hinged.jpg

I created the feet last night

I found and old sheet of peg board and cut out the foot shape.
shoe.jpg
Grabbed an old but comfy pair of sneakers and screwed them to the bottom of the peg board.

shoe2.jpg
covered then in foam

shoe tops.jpg
then added in the details to top back and bottom
now just needs paint
shoe bottom.jpg

Okay Toy Story fans I'm ressurecting this old thread.

This project was shelved for some more pressing matters but now I am back at it in hopes to have it ready for Halloween.
Things don't progress as fast when you have one and a half jobs and two kids in school as a parent sharing custody.

anyway I made some real progress this weekend.

I was really set back over how to find a practical way to have the wings fully operational.
I came to the conclusion that this project was going to have to have some compromises in order to complete it so I made the tough choice to bail on the wings.

Given that said here is the progress on the jetpack.

buzz jetpack.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates coming soon

Love the look of this! This is a costume I really would like to try making in the future too!

Good work!

Slow but steady progress.

Lots of paint work on the upper torso

torso.jpg

Excellent! To infinity! And... You are gonna finish this awesome beast, right? :)

Getting close now

I attached the upper arms to the torso.

Figured out all the strapping for the legs to the cod and the cod to the waist

Painted and installed the buttons on the chest.

glued on the decals on the chest

Installed one of two of the plastic domes

buzz body front.jpgbuzz back.jpg
buzz side 2.jpgbuzz side 1.jpg

Test Fit From Chest Down
This is the first time I have fit this much together and I was hoping it fit okay.
I was pleased with the results. Some Buzz costumes have a huge gap where the legs meet the cod piece and I really wanted to avoid that

lower body test.jpg

Here is the back complete with decals and red exhaust paint
buzz back 2.jpg

And can't forget the iconic Andy paint on the bottom of the foot

shoe bottom.jpg

Thanks for looking

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back