Knight who says Ni

merquise13

So, onto my next project. I am going to do the tall Knight who says Ni, from monty python and the holy grail. I've actaully got most of the supplies already.
I have a bear fur and the material for robes and arms. For the helmet, i'm going to try using a 10" wide concrete form tube as my base, then i can cut it out, add appropriate accents and paints. I have actual deer antlers i'll use for the helmet. The part i'm having a hard part with is the "hair" or fur on top of the helmet. The bear fur i have isnt quite long and flowy enough, so if anyone has recommendations, thatd be great. I also just picked up 18-30" drywall stilts.

To also make it easy if i want to get off the stilts, i'm going to rig a channel and cord down the robe that i can raise it up when i'm off the stilts so i'm not tripping over the extra material.
e5etavab.jpg

Subscribed as well!

Be careful on your robe-stilt combination, I've stepped on my own robes while stilt walking, and the results were predictably HORRIBLE. :facepalm

Subscribed as well!

Be careful on your robe-stilt combination, I've stepped on my own robes while stilt walking, and the results were predictably HORRIBLE. :facepalm

on the subject of the former, how didst thou compensate for this issue? my wife and i have been throwing around ideas. 1) create a sort of hoop skirt that will hopefully keep the robe away from the stilts, or 2) attach dowels or some flexible tubing or wire extended out from the stilts to push out the edges of the robe.

Here is first attempt at my helmet, or what i just played with for a little bit Just cut the opening. I actually cut the whole tube in half, and i'm going to lay it over another tube section. So it makes it look more like 2 separate pieces where it connects and overlays (not pictured). So now i have a question. This tube has a sort of recessed line where the pieces of board spiral up. when its painted its more visible. Aside from filling with bondo and sanding the heck out of it, any other thoughts to cover up the little line ( you can sort of see it starting at the very bottom of the helmet on the right hand side of the pic.)
10156139_10152821726057923_7926753832271749122_n.jpg

Nice helmet beginnings!!! :)

Hoop skirt bottom is the most reliable.PEX tubing works really well, you can add fittings to help shape so you're not stuck with a true circle either. Another option is to add 'surrounds' to each stilt-bottom, and hang strips of cloth off to match the hanging cloak material. If your robes are trimmed a couple of inches off the floor when standing, you should be fine to move, and the clunky feet help to blend the gap when walking. That two inches can be easily hidden when stationary by slouching slightly :thumbsup

Here's some more work that i've done. I actually cut the face shield out of the last piece, and overlayed it on a new section of pipe to give it a different look. I added the band around the top (unfortunately came out a little crroked, but will be fine once the fur is added. Found a good stand in for metal rivets, furniture nails ;) just had to push them in and snip off the sharp tip on the inside, and theyre holding great and look good. they have a bit of a roughed design on them, rather than flat. Next step is to use some bondo to fill in the lines on the helmet where it dips down where the cardboard sections meet on the tube. Then to painting and figuring what i want to do with the antlers. I have a set of actual 2point antlers. but theyre not that big... of course, if i go too big, it means more i have to deal with while walking around cons and such. Doors....
. 10339554_10152836543022923_1815271723874988327_n.jpg10330288_10152836543077923_9038538691592236568_n.jpg

Ha ha it's getting there mate. I'm in rehearsals for a production of Spamalot at the moment. It's a fun but frustrating ride making these costumes. Australia is not known for is thriving medieval reenactment scene;) it's all scratch building.

Regards
T
A
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know that feel. Since most of my budget was used up on stilts, i'm really trying to go as cheap on other materials as possible. Hence using a cardboard tube for a helmet. but i think its turning out rather well, even with the funny lines going diagonally on the face. Tonight, decide whether to use real antlers, or just make me some fake one's. Then add fur.

Best cosplay idea ever! Great job on the helmet.
Thanks, this one will be fun, especially since im doing it on stilts. I've actually been designing a "walking stick" that i can use to support myself. Its going to have a wide base to keep from falling over. And to hide the base i'm going to have... A SHRUBBERY! It'll basically go around the base, and i'll even have a little white picket fence around it :) . And then at the top of the staff i'm thinking of putting on .... A HERRING!.

Oh, many updates to be had. I have created and painted the entire helmet. Just need to add fur to the top of it and it'll be good. Going to add some of the beard directly to the helmet so as i dont have to worry about it getting snagged while at the cons. For the antlers, the base is tin foil wrapped with duct tape. Then a nice good layer of bondo. Will do some more painting to lighten it a bit. I have all the supplies i need to finish. I bought a foam block and some "shrubbery" pieces that i'm going to put at the bottom of the walking stick. Also found some 12" tall white picket fence pieces that will go around it.
Enjoy
10325181_1427249097537548_6896469894019000150_n.jpg10358582_1429200850675706_3714358076046750827_n.jpg1014295_10152882205107923_3927361700814515006_n.jpg10365734_1427249100870881_1127095372165298169_n.jpg10426533_10152882225137923_8781158848012348989_n.jpg

I know right? made things really simple about making a cylindrical helmet.

I'd be only mildly surprised to find that was the way the original "Ni!" helmets were made...

Somehow, that movie just had a bit of a "low-budget" feel to it - which contributed to its charm. Pushed it toward the "So bad it's good" level...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back