Small Soldiers - Chip Hazard and Archer v2.0

Howlrunner

Sr Member
One of my early projects back in 2009 (wow, was it really 5 years ago now?!) was to modify the Hasbro 12" toys to make them more accurate. My early attempt (v1.0):

SmallSoldiers1.jpg

At the time I was happy with them but now 5 years on, and inspired by the modifications that Kingk has done to his Chip and the video of a modified Archer posted by mebill4 on YouTube, I had to have another go at upgrading the figures (v2.0).....

As before I started with Hasbro's 12" electronic talking Chip Hazard, but this time I gutted the electronics, removed the push switches and filled all holes, completely sanded off his dog tags, communicator and grenade and repainted the whole figure from top to bottom. I also sanded down the horribly chunky elbow joints and resculpted them along with parts of the upper and lower arm. I removed the head, cut away the neck, heated the vinyl head and reshaped it, then sculpted a new neck in. I moulded the communicator and grenade from the Chip Hazard 3D Paint model and made resin casts to add to this Chip. And I added real chain for the dog tags (which I'm still looking at options for to get made). The final result is a HUGE improvement on the original figure AND my first attempt at modification:

Chip Hazard (2).JPGChip Hazard (1).JPG

Last time I used the Hasbro 12" Archer to modify. THIS time I got myself the Hasbro 12" electronic talking Archer (very different sculpt). I was originally put off by this version 5 years ago by the horrible huge green medallion built into his chest, but this time I'd tackle it as the overall figure (especially the head) is a much better sculpt. On this one I filled the gap between the loin cloth and "buckle", sanded off the medallion chain, opened him up and removed the electronics, push buttons and clear green plastic medallion, and then filled and resculpted all the holes, including the huge chest cavity left by the original medallion. I added the quiver and arrows from the Archer 3D Paint model (with the arrow shafts replaced by lengths of STRAIGHT wooden skewers) and repainted the figure from top to bottom. Finished him off with a resin cast of the medallion from the Archer 3D Paint model I moulded and a real chain.

Archer (2).JPGArcher (1).JPG

All in all, MUCH happier with these two. Short of the illusive SoftGarage statues or a cast from the real deal, these are my ultimate Small Soldiers figures. :D

Archer and Chip (2).JPGArcher and Chip (1).JPG

Hello howlrunner. Nice I have inspired you. I think your chip hazard and archer also good. I find my chip hazard very much like the original .. I have the chest , collar , breasts, head and neck , the step, the wrists and forearm , belt, modified pistol pocket , hand grenade and WalkyTalky.

Wow great job howlrunner! They look amazing for being modifications of the hasbro figures and just so you know im still working on the box just having issues getting the art work right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I almost forget actually you howlrunner inspired me with your thread. What do you think my chip hazard ? What do you like most about my chip hazard ? I have worked 2-3 months on it. lg KINGK

wow this is great im am just getting started on repainting and custumizing my own chip and archer... by any chance will you offer any casts of the 3d parts you have made??

also what kind of paint did you use on them??

Last edited:
Hi Do you mean me kingk or howlrunner? I have no casts, I have my 12inch chip hazard itself filled and processed. For the figure, I used airbrush and the small details painted with brush. You have to airbrush or spray can use because the surface to big to paint, otherwise it will with the paint nothing. Do you speak German? Am looking forward to your chip hazard and archer

Lg kingk

Hi Do you mean me kingk or howlrunner? I have no casts, I have my 12inch chip hazard itself filled and processed. For the figure, I used airbrush and the small details painted with brush. You have to airbrush or spray can use because the surface to big to paint, otherwise it will with the paint nothing. Do you speak German? Am looking forward to your chip hazard and archer

Lg kingk

wow this is great im am just getting started on repainting and custumizing my own chip and archer... by any chance will you offer any casts of the 3d parts you have made??

also what kind of paint did you use on them??

I painted them both using only paintbrushes. I used a mix of Humbrol, Citadel and Revell paints. If there's a specific item colour you're after I can let you know what I used for it.

I have the silicon moulds now, so if anyone wants a resin cast communicator or grenade for Chip or Medallion for Archer, just send me a PM.

Was asked about the paints/colours I used, so here goes with the basic recipe....

Archer:
Skin - Humbrol Matt 62 with a VERY light drybrush of a light mushroomy/grey/brown colour from Humbrol (sorry, ran out and have thrown out the pot, so don't know the number at the moment).
Loin cloth - Humbrol 73 with drybrushes of Humbrol 153 and VERY small amounts of Humbrol 148
All gold - Revell Aqua Color Gold
Leather straps - Tamiya Flat Brown with Revell Reddish Brown drybrush
Ears and beard - Revell Reddish Brown with Tamiya Flat Brown drybrush
Hair - Tamiya Flat Brown with black drybrush
Shins - Humbrol 80 with Humbrol 83 drybrush
Can't remember what I used for knees and thighs....

Chip:
Skin - Citadel Elf Flesh (discontinued unfortunately.....)
Hair - Humbrol 147 with grey/blue highlights (can't find the pot - think I finished it)
Yellow vest - Revell Sand with Revell Brown spots
Green trousers and sleeves - Humbrol 88 with black striupes
Grenade anmd pouches - Revl Olive Green with Revell Fern Green drybrush
Communicator - Revell Steel
Gun holster - Humbrol 62

That's the basics anyway... :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back