A Doctor Who #7 Umbrella with Enhanced Forming Jig - lots of pictures

PaulMmn

I've been working on a Dr. Who #7 outfit. Here's how my umbrella turned out.
I based my procedure on Dr. Who Junior's videos (Make Your Own Doctor Who Umbrella Part 1 of 5 - YouTube Make Your Own Doctor Who Umbrella Part 2 of 5 - YouTube Make Your Own Doctor Who Umbrella Part 3 of 5 - YouTube Make Your Own Doctor Who Umbrella Part 4 of 5 - YouTube Make Your Own Doctor Who Umbrella Part 5 of 5 - YouTube )
The biggest change was when I enlarged a photo of a 'screen-used' umbrella to 'life-size--' when the 'hole' in the handle measured 3" in diameter, the diameter of the handle itself measured 1-1/4"! I checked several photos, and they all agreed-- the diameter of the acrylic rod to use for the Doctor's umbrella should be 1-1/4", not 1"!
My shaping jig (v2) also has some enhancements. DWJ mentioned getting flat spots where the alignment blocks pressed against the rod in the jig. I tried to compensate by lining the alignment blocks with sections of a 1-1/4" inside diameter plastic pipe. My thought was that if the pressure was applied evenly around the rod there wouldn't be any flat spots. This seemed to work. I also added some 2ndary alignment blocks that swing into position once the rod is mostly in place. These allowed me to lock the rod in position, then stand back and watch it cool.
I've uploaded 2 PDF documents that show my construction sequence, plus some 'key' shots of the construction in progress. Hope they're helpful!
--Paul E Musselman

Attachments

• Doctor Who 7 Umbrella.part2.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 356
  • Doctor Who 7 Umbrella.part1.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 286
  • Umbrella.03.fixed.jpg
    Umbrella.03.fixed.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Umbrella.04.fixed.jpg
    Umbrella.04.fixed.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 128
  • Umbrella.05.fixed.jpg
    Umbrella.05.fixed.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Umbrella.08c.fixed.jpg
    Umbrella.08c.fixed.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Umbrella.09.fixed.jpg
    Umbrella.09.fixed.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 121
  • Umbrella.12.fixed.jpg
    Umbrella.12.fixed.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 106
  • Umbrella.30.fixed.jpg
    Umbrella.30.fixed.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 160
  • Umbrella.35.fixed.jpg
    Umbrella.35.fixed.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 306
  • Umbrella.40.jpg
    Umbrella.40.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 411
  • Umbrella.Life-sized.v3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Only problem with the clear is that it has splotches of green filler covering up the dings! But because it was sanded to a frosted state, it did light up really nice! :) --Paul E Musselman

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back