Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears...

Hate to burst your bubble, but Spock did wear a red shirt. From Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, ST5 to ST: The Undiscovered Country. And that's because it became the standard Starfleet uniform.

Doesn't really count. That's a non-department-specific service coat. His shirt was white, for Command. In that era, BTW, Security was Windsor Green. The only literal redshirts in that arc were Academy Midshipmen (and, to a degree, enlisted Trainees -- no Departmental undershirt, but they did have Service Department colors on shoulder tabs and the left-sleeve service band).

--Jonah

It bothers me that every single major political event seems balanced on the actions of a single ship in the entire fleet - The Enterprise. I wish this was an "Expanded Universe" where there were stories of other ships and their adventures and contributions.
It bothers me that this new Kirk doesn't act much like a leader (I haven't seen the last film, maybe it's changed) and seems to be celebrated yet routinely disobeys direct orders and manages to get his ship destroyed in every mission.

Re-watching TNG.... annoying they didn't catch the obvious error, when they say the surface temperature is -292°C(which is physically impossible) and it even says so on the monitor...

i am glad Spock never had a red shirt ;)
Silly boy, he earned his red shirt at the end of ST II: TWOK.

(ducking and running)

Just reviewing the first page and last few pages. There will always be holes and goofs because the Trek franchise has had to operate under schedule and constricted budgets ... gotta make some episodes, gotta find a new story to make a movie out of,... etc. I admire that the original series had vets (Doohan, Roddenberry, Jeffries?, et al) working on it who could bring a wee dram of realism to the "space fleet" paradigm. Sure, they played fast and loose with some conventions over the years, but they created a reasonably believable military structure that could be utilized in a variety of dramatic situations. New Coke Trek aggravates me because they just ignore that out of, I dunno, ignorance?

Anyone recall which TOS S1 episode wherein Scotty tells Kirk that the "special space detail is set?" That's classic USN terminology.

Re-watching TNG.... annoying they didn't catch the obvious error, when they say the surface temperature is -292°C(which is physically impossible) and it even says so on the monitor...
The Royale? Oh, boy that episode. Forget the temperature. The wind speed alone would cover two football fields in a second. And let's not forget the dead astronaught. Data mentions a lack of decomposition and Riker concludes that the poor dope died in his sleep. All of this dialogue would suggest that the writers had intended a real person to be laying in bed instead of a dried up skeleton.

It bothers me that every single major political event seems balanced on the actions of a single ship in the entire fleet - The Enterprise. I wish this was an "Expanded Universe" where there were stories of other ships and their adventures and contributions.
It bothers me that this new Kirk doesn't act much like a leader (I haven't seen the last film, maybe it's changed) and seems to be celebrated yet routinely disobeys direct orders and manages to get his ship destroyed in every mission.

Actually a pretty good "explanation" for Kirk's actions was given in the Voyager episode Flashback - the one where Tuvok and Janeway 're-live' Tuvok's time on the Excelsior during the events of ST:VI

Captain Kathryn Janeway: It was a very different time, Mr. Kim. Captain Sulu, Captain Kirk, Doctor McCoy - they all belonged to a different breed of Starfleet officer. Imagine the era they lived in: the Alpha Quadrant still largely unexplored, Humanity on verge of war with Klingons, Romulans hiding behind every nebula. Even the technology we take for granted was still in its early stages: no plasma weapons, no multiphasic shields; their ships were half as fast.

Ensign Harry Kim: No replicators; no holodecks. You know, ever since I took Starfleet history at the Academy, I always wondered what it would be like to live in those days.

Captain Kathryn Janeway: Space must have seemed a whole lot bigger back then. It's not surprising they had to bend the rules a little. They were a little slower to invoke the Prime Directive, and a little quicker to pull their phasers. Of course, the whole bunch of them would be booted out of Starfleet today. But I have to admit, I would have loved to ride shotgun at least once with a group of officers like that.

The Royale? Oh, boy that episode. Forget the temperature. The wind speed alone would cover two football fields in a second. And let's not forget the dead astronaught. Data mentions a lack of decomposition and Riker concludes that the poor dope died in his sleep. All of this dialogue would suggest that the writers had intended a real person to be laying in bed instead of a dried up skeleton.

I think that was the episode, yes :lol

Basic stuff like that, they should be able to handle :p

"Are you smarter than a......" - NOPE :lol

going th rough Deep Space Nine rather quickly.

I noticed during season 4, they changed the rank insignia on cheif obrian..

I wonder if it's because people thought he was an ensign with the one pip on his collar?

I love the writers belief and insistence that Obrian must suffer. I definitely prefer Worf's Dax over her replacement, who really was annoying. I just re-watched the Baseball episode. Great episode other than Sisko pushing it a bit over the top. He needed a bat to the ass for his attitude during part of the training, as did the Vulcans throughout the entirety of the episode.

I certainly didn't help that I'm not a baseball fan, but I found that episode to be a complete waste and a masturbatory exercise on the part of the writers, who ARE baseball fans.

Not to mention it was kinda racist towards Vulcans "LOL, they all look the same!"
But yeah, a whole episode about baseball? Not the best. I didn't like the one that was entirely about Vic's holographic bar being taken over. And really, what was the point of a sentient 60's lounge-singer holo-program anyway?

Agreed. Fontaine was an interesting character for a one-shot, but recurring? And the focus of episodes? No.

Agreed. Fontaine was an interesting character for a one-shot, but recurring? And the focus of episodes? No.

you people have no sense of fun ;o)

I liked the fontaine character for more than one short guest shot. the takeover episode was just a fun diversion.

as was the baseball episode. i hate sports and i liked that episode just to see them out of their element :)

What?! Haters of the baseball episode?! Baseball was a love of Sisko's. For me it just made sense to have at least one episode about it. Besides, you had some great things happen in that episode. Obrian infusing gum with scotch, Worf's classic "Death to the opposition", and "Find him and kill him" lines.

You want to talk about grinding gears...all the holo deck malfunction episodes across multiple shows. That got old for me.

I didn't like the really bland Federation anthem in "Take Me Out to the Holosuite", and generally I don't like the TNG+ Vulcan haircuts (same as I hate the TNG-era Romulan foreheads). Why could they not find the same hairdressers that did such a good job on the Vulcans and Romulans in TOS and the films?

I like Vic, but agree he got a little overused at points. Agree about the malfunctioning holosuite stories. But I like Exri. I like her arc, I like how she didn't want to be joined and was learning to deal with it. I like how the joining changed her and she found a new track that neither Ezri on her own nor Jadzia Dax had been following. I like how she found closure with those elements of her prior life -- some differences, some things the same... I also like where her story goes in the Relaunch novels following the series finale.

The whole O'Brien thing is probably one of my biggest gear-grinders. *sigh* He was an officer up until Ron Moore couldn't tell the difference between rank and position. We definitely needed enlisted insignia in TNG and DS9, so getting that was a good thing -- but it shouldn't have been O'Brien. *grump*

--Jonah

I also hate the dax worf relationship.

I 'm rewatching a little out of order, but it seemed to get NO buildup, and just kind of happened.

I can't help but wonder if Bashir and Dax got canned, because nana visitor and him started dating/got married ?

it made much more sense for the doctor and dax to get together. they fit together better.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back