Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Tholian Commander RPF Premium Member Jeyl's Avatar
    From
    Asheville, NC
    Aug 2, 2014, 8:04 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #126

Here's a video of the Picard Maneuver from the Star Trek Onmipedia CD released back in the 1900's. First part shows the battle from the Stargazer's perspective, while the second shows the battle from the Ferengi point of view.

From
    Palo Alto, CA
    Aug 2, 2014, 1:26 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #127

Not only are the cast and crew involved in every single major political and scientific event in the galaxy, but they also seem to routinely disobey direct orders, violate the prime objective and have totaled at least half a dozen starships under their command.
    May 31, 2015, 12:15 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #128

FrontaLittle said: View Post

On a new tv series: Contemporary, successful TV series are far away from TNG. Breaking Bad, House of Cards, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead. They're dark, they're gritty, strong character development, mature topics. I want to see a series like this set in the Klingon Empire facing a new civil war. Star Trek has designed this race of brutal, fearless warriors with their strong honor codex, the high council as government, rich lore and religion like Khaless etc. and even developed a new language and they simply don't use all this. I'm not saying no more starfleet, just try to give viewers something new instead of the new lousy starship that feels like somehting you've already seen 4 times.
    i think it would be intesting idea too to make a totaly new series about races like the klingon. i am thinking for quite a while it would be rather cool how the borg developed into what they are. maybe star trek series from human/starfleet point of view is already to much done and all will be repeat of earlier stuff to much.

humanoid race like the borg accidently or not, get into technology of the nano probes and start a ravaging campaign to perfection. to me that sounds interesting to see.
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Dec 23, 2015, 2:32 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #129

Wanna know something that not only grinds my gears, but straight up pisses me off about star trek ???

I was online looking up Worfs history, because I started season 4 of DS9 and he was a new character to the station. So I know Dax and Him get married or whatever, but then I saw…..

Wait for it…….

DAX DIES !!!!!!

WTF ? !!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only was she my favorite character but I never even got to the episode Tears of the Prophets where she does die " supposedly by Gul Dukat, and it completely spoiled it for me

its a day till christmas,and I'm still upset about it when I found out a few days ago

LLAP ;(

Cole
    From
    NAS Jacksonville
    Dec 23, 2015, 9:01 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #130

trekcolencc1701 said: View Post
    Wait for it…….

DAX DIES !!!!!!

WTF ? !!!!!!!!!!!!
    First of all, we don't have to wait for it. We saw it about 17 years ago.

Second, that statement is not true.

Third, don't be mad at the show, be mad at Terry Farrel. She is the one who left the show to work on the Ted Danson series Becker.
  6. Member Since
    Oct 2015
    Dec 24, 2015, 3:40 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #131

Ohhh, I did not know that, I am new to the show and wasn't even alive in the 90s when it originally aired. And I also later found out that Ezri replaces her so your right she does not technically die since she is a trill, either way upsetting, but like you said it did air 17 years or so ago so I can't complain, Merry Christmas !!!!!
    From
    Out where the buses don't run
    Dec 26, 2015, 12:14 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #132

With Next Generation, everyone (okay, maybe not Barclay) was such a type-A workaholic, ladder-climbing type that I simply didn't buy into it from the perspective of a former military officer (I was an Army Captain when I got out).
    Could you imagine the annual evaluation process to make rank in an organization like that? If you hadn't saved at least a dozen planets, you'd never get promoted! With peers like that, any infraction (or even perception of such from your rating chain) of any kind, no matter how slight, would end your career right there.
    the old Trek showed what I always felt was a far more realistic military body, where people were... people. In STNG, I simply didn't see that at all.
  8. RPF Premium Member The Mad Professor's Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Dec 26, 2015, 6:16 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #133

p51 said: View Post
    With Next Generation, everyone (okay, maybe not Barclay) was such a type-A workaholic, ladder-climbing type that I simply didn't buy into it from the perspective of a former military officer (I was an Army Captain when I got out).
    Could you imagine the annual evaluation process to make rank in an organization like that? If you hadn't saved at least a dozen planets, you'd never get promoted! With peers like that, any infraction (or even perception of such from your rating chain) of any kind, no matter how slight, would end your career right there.
    the old Trek showed what I always felt was a far more realistic military body, where people were... people. In STNG, I simply didn't see that at all.
    That same thing used to bother me, but then I realized something... The Enterprise was the flagship of the Federation. It was the one that exemplified what Starfleet meant. It was where ambassadors came to visit, royalty, all that stuff. Getting a posting to the Enterprise was a career-making assignment. Naturally, you'd want to crew it with the best of the best.

So to me, the crew of the Enterprise D and E were atypical of what you would find in Starfleet. I believe that the rest of Starfleet was just as varied in crew standards as anywhere else.
    From
    Dec 31, 2015, 3:58 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #134

The Mad Professor said: View Post
    That same thing used to bother me, but then I realized something... The Enterprise was the flagship of the Federation. It was the one that exemplified what Starfleet meant. It was where ambassadors came to visit, royalty, all that stuff. Getting a posting to the Enterprise was a career-making assignment. Naturally, you'd want to crew it with the best of the best.

So to me, the crew of the Enterprise D and E were atypical of what you would find in Starfleet. I believe that the rest of Starfleet was just as varied in crew standards as anywhere else.
    Fair enough, but where were the 'so-so' starships and crews? In the NG universe, I never recall seeing any of them.
  10. RPF Premium Member The Mad Professor's Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Dec 31, 2015, 4:36 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #135

Fair enough, but where were the 'so-so' starships and crews? In the NG universe, I never recall seeing any of them.

They don't make for good television viewing, I guess.
    Jan 1, 2016, 4:01 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #136

They dealt with that in ds9...which is one reason I liked that show so much. You did see federation officers who were corrupt, dishonest, lazy...

but not just that, they also strait up said, with characters like Jake, than unless you're type A, there's really no point to joining star fleet. Food and place to live are free to all humans, as is travel.

plus there's any number of ways to make a living that aren't as demanding. It's not like our society where people might join as a ticket out of poverty. For them, joining star fleet ONLY makes sense if you actually want it, and even then it's competitive to get in. So a few lazy types might get through, but for the most part, if you're not driven, you have about a thousand better options than Star Fleet.
    From
    Hull
    Jan 1, 2016, 4:27 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #137

So when everything is free and noone gets paid, who volunteers to ublock toilets?
  13. RPF Premium Member The Mad Professor's Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area, FL
    Jan 1, 2016, 8:35 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #138

glunark said: View Post
    So when everything is free and noone gets paid, who volunteers to ublock toilets?
    No one ever volunteers to clear the Captain's Log...
    Jan 2, 2016, 12:42 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #139

glunark said: View Post
    Believe it or not, also answered in DS9. Rom volunteers for sanitation duty more than once. Apparently, after working for Quark for years, it's actually a step up.
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    Jan 2, 2016, 12:08 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #140

One example... TNG season 3, "Tin Man". They rendezvous with Riker's previous posting, the Excelsior-class Hood. Captain DeSoto asks Will if he's getting soft and comments on them getting all the cool assignments. "Me, I just haul my butt back and forth between starbases..." He, and Ben Maxwell, and Ed Jellico were all wonderfully human.

--Jonah
    From
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Dec 5, 2016, 8:30 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #141

No sense letting a good thread die, so...
    I have lots I could agree with and add to the pet-peeves, but my biggest one:
    JJ Blew Up Vulcan! I see no good reason for that.
    Dec 5, 2016, 9:19 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #142

That's the trouble with Star Trek...

... all the damn Vulcans.

Oh! problem solved.
    Jan 3, 2017, 5:10 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #143

Why do all ships meet nose to nose? There's no right way up in space.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jan 9, 2017, 1:44 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #144

I think that the more unrealistic thing is that almost nobody ever leaves the Enterprise. Picard is a senior captain and probably should have gotten his star a few seasons into TNG but he never gets promoted, he may have actually refused promotion to flag rank. Riker, we know, is offered promotion to Captain several times throughout the series but turns it down each and every time hoping that Picard eventually takes a promotion or is otherwise transferred off the Enterprise so that he can take command. Then when it came to getting a new Chief Engineer and head of security, instead of promoting a second in command of those departments from another ship they promoted Geordi and Worf respectively, neither of which, if their uniform colors were any indication, had any real training in those areas beyond what they may have gotten in Command School or the Academy.

If the Enterprise is indicative of the way Starfleet works then it's gotta be really hard to move up in Starfleet because nobody moves around, at all. You have to wonder how many prospective future XOs of the Enterprise Riker screwed over by not taking the repeated promotions offered him? How many senior, but junior ranking, officers never get their shot at heading a department because of constant promotions from within a ship? This would certainly produce officers who are very knowledgeable about their ships, since they almost never rotate off to other ships, but at the same time it really doesn't promote a healthy exchange of knowledge and experience which rotational assignments help to promote. It's a good thing that the Federation is a utopia too since this kind of practice also promotes cults of personalities where the crew might end up more loyal to their captains than to Starfleet or even the Federation.
    From
    South East
    Jan 9, 2017, 2:37 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #145

Well that has happened. Star Trek Insurrection was about disobeying a direct order. Honestly they have done that several times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Jan 9, 2017, 4:32 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #146

I read somewhere a theory that in the NG era of Trek, humanity has stagnated and there's nothing really shoot for anymore. You can re-create any place in a holodeck, any item with a replicator, so what motivates people anymore? Think WALLE without the floaty chairs and morbidly obese people.
    The theory was space is simply something to occupy people who have nothing else in their lives to strive for.
    You have to admit, it's not an insane theory, is it?
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Jan 9, 2017, 9:18 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #147

Riceball said: View Post
    I think that the more unrealistic thing is that almost nobody ever leaves the Enterprise. Picard is a senior captain and probably should have gotten his star a few seasons into TNG but he never gets promoted, he may have actually refused promotion to flag rank. Riker, we know, is offered promotion to Captain several times throughout the series but turns it down each and every time hoping that Picard eventually takes a promotion or is otherwise transferred off the Enterprise so that he can take command. Then when it came to getting a new Chief Engineer and head of security, instead of promoting a second in command of those departments from another ship they promoted Geordi and Worf respectively, neither of which, if their uniform colors were any indication, had any real training in those areas beyond what they may have gotten in Command School or the Academy.
    Didn't Picard say that he was offered promotions and turned them down because he wanted to be on a ship, not behind a desk? Janeway became an admiral, but I can see her POV since she was stranded for years. She was probably happy to be off a ship!

I read somewhere a theory that in the NG era of Trek, humanity has stagnated and there's nothing really shoot for anymore. You can re-create any place in a holodeck, any item with a replicator, so what motivates people anymore? Think WALLE without the floaty chairs and morbidly obese people.
    The theory was space is simply something to occupy people who have nothing else in their lives to strive for.
    Picard says they strive to improve themselves as people.
    From
    Walnut, CA
    Jan 9, 2017, 10:56 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #148

Sluis Van Shipyards said: View Post
    Didn't Picard say that he was offered promotions and turned them down because he wanted to be on a ship, not behind a desk? Janeway became an admiral, but I can see her POV since she was stranded for years. She was probably happy to be off a ship!
    Even without the real life military concept of up and out the whole notion of refusing promotions and staying at your current posting for as long as you want wouldn't work because it would gum up the system. Let's take the Enterprise for instance, by refusing promotion to Admiral Picard keeps Riker from taking a promotion to Captain and getting a command of his own because he wants the Enterprise, this in turn keeps some other Lt. or full Commander from getting promoted to XO of the Enterprise, which in turn keeps some other officer from taking his/her position, and so on down. So now Starfleet has a whole bunch of officers who can't/don't get promoted because one officer refuses to move on, hence gumming up the works. With a system like that promotions must come real slowly in Starfleet as you wait for people to either finally get the posting of their dream, get tired of the whole thing and leave Starfleet, or just get tired of the waiting game and take an assignment that's not their ideal just to finally get promoted.
  24. RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2017, 3:23 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #149

First Contact touched upon this, when Picard mentions to Lily that money doesn't exist in the 24th century and having a different driving force

From
    Jan 10, 2017, 11:23 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #150

Yep, I remember that. But it never made sense as there were plenty of other species that did have money as a driving force.
    Humans weren't that far removed us, as the very same movie had Picard happy to be able to touch the Phoenix (in its silo) as he never could in the Smithsonian when he was younger. That would strongly support that material things still motivated people, even then.
    Riceball said: View Post
    So now Starfleet has a whole bunch of officers who can't/don't get promoted because one officer refuses to move on, hence gumming up the works. With a system like that promotions must come real slowly in Starfleet as you wait for people to either finally get the posting of their dream, get tired of the whole thing and leave Starfleet, or just get tired of the waiting game and take an assignment that's not their ideal just to finally get promoted.
    Go back through history and you'll see plenty of examples of that very thing. Think Royal Navy any time prior to 1900 and especially in the age of sail (where captains could be well past retirement age), or the US Cavalry on the plains. You could go 20 years without being promoted once and not be considered a failure, career-wise. Starfleet, to me, always seemed to be a merit-based organization. You could skip a few rungs on the ladder if you were in the right place and time.
    For example, Picard went directly from Helmsman to Captain. You'd never see that in any modern Navy.
    Last edited by p51; Jan 10, 2017 at 11:29 AM.